Implement CEC "Switch to my input!" ability on TiVos and Minis

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by dougdingle, Jul 25, 2018.

1. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    What I'm interested in is having my Roamio and my Minis send a very simple "change to my input" command to my AVR, the way my Amazon Fire does - I press the "Home" button on the Fire remote, and my Marantz AVR switches to its Fire input. To get back to the Mini, however, I have to use the Marantz's remote to change inputs.

What would be very handy is if pressing the TiVo button on the remote sent a CEC command to switch the Marantz (or any CEC capable device with multiple inputs) to that input.

Just have the thing send a "Select ME!!!" CEC trigger with a specific button push, like the Fire does.

Make it a menu item with "No" as the default for those who aren't interested.

Easy to do, just needs someone at TiVo to own the concept and code it. It would make things much easier on those people who own more than one HDMI source device (which I think is likely most people).

2WOOFS and OrangeCrush like this.
  2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Pick a different button. The TiVo button is significant since it has so many uses. How about Enter, or Clear. Maybe a letter button. They are hard to find on the VOX remote. Wait! Yes, use the blue voice button! Then you can say "Select Me" and the IFTTT stuff can do the job. :D

3. OrangeCrush

OrangeCrush Active Member

Feb 18, 2016
    I wish, so very much, that the Tivo could do this. It is the only device I have that doesn't grab the TV input when you press buttons on the remote.

While I don't have a problem changing inputs myself, it would really really help with the "spouse acceptance factor" if the TiVo just handled it automatically.

But why would you press the Tivo button when you didn't want the Tivo to be on-screen?

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    My TiVo remote has an input button that works just fine for this. No issue with your suggestion, but I'm not seeing a need to change remotes.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    If you ever add CEC, for God's sake add the ability to disable it, because it *always* does the wrong thing. I'll stick with my harmony which I can tell to do exactly what I want (I may have to fight with it for hours, but so far I've always won).

6. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    So does mine. But there are no codes for AVR receivers, only TVs, so if you use an AVR to do your input switching, as many do, the input button does nothing.

7. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I agree, which is why I wrote "Make it a menu item with "No" as the default for those who aren't interested."

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    If you were willing to put your TiVo into Standby when not using it (I say "if" because this seems to be a hangup for some people), there are some devices (HDMI switches, possibly TVs) that will automatically select an input when it becomes active.

9. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Sounds to me like it should only work with the press of the input button then.

One of my tv's, when I press the input button, only brings up a screen overlay that gives you 5 options for your input selection. The original tv remote has a 4 position round selector switch that you need to move up/down to highlight which input you want and then you have to hit the select button to change inputs. Argh... :mad:

I'm thinking that a CEC pulse from the TiVo via the input button would, in effect, be the same thing. Really, That's the only time you'd need the darn thing.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Just posted in the other Suggestion thread on this, pick up one of the TiVo learning remotes and you can use the learning capability to assign the AVR input to the TiVo Input button. As I posted there, we did this with the original Glo Remote that came with our S3 OLED in 2007 and with the Slide Pro Remote that we got free with our Roamio Pro.

Scott

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    PIP.

12. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    This. Let me do the thinking.

13. OrangeCrush

Feb 18, 2016
    PIP?

14. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yes, PIP. I use it a lot. For watching sports, for tracking other shows. For doing bookkeeping on my other devices.

15. OrangeCrush

Feb 18, 2016
    Are you taking about Picture in Picture? What does that have to do with easily switching inputs?

16. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    I felt the same frustration until I discovered that some TVs, including my LG and Sony, will cycle through the available inputs with repeated presses of the Input button on the TiVo remote once the TV's input screen overlay is up, and will select the one you land on without having to do anything else. Try it, it might work on yours.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If I hit the TiVo button on a second TiVo I am viewing via pip, I don’t want my input to change. Pretty simple, actually.

18. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Fair enough. Plenty of other buttons from which to choose. The Enter button or Thumbs Up would be decent choices.

19. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Maybe but the reality is that if you have enough different inputs that you often change off the TiVo, the TiVo remote by itself is inadequate. It can’t control other devices. So, it is better to get a universal and program it to do what you want it to do. The TiVo remote is really meant to be used on a tv that basically has TiVo. Period.

20. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    The reality is that TiVo needs to come into 2018 and implement some kind of optional CEC control for those who want it. Optional.

Those not interested can ignore the feature and leave it off.

I don't want to implement workarounds that involve a programmable remote, or an 'automatic' HDMI switch.

Want to watch TiVo or Amazon Fire or Roku or DVDs? Pick up the remote for that device and push a button on it to have it become the current source. How simple is that? I can do that with every component I have but the TiVo.

2WOOFS and OrangeCrush like this.