Impending Doom of Upcoming Fall TV Season?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by marksman, Sep 12, 2007.

1. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Perhaps I am alone in my feelings, but on the verge of a brand new television season, I am more concerned than ever that I am going to be underwhelmed and overly disappointed.

I, like many people here, are huge fans of television. I have for years always eagerly anticipated the new television season. Before the advent of the internet, reading magazines and newspapers to get the scoop on the upcoming shows was a must have. Now in 2007 we have all that, plus a ridiculous amount of information on the internet, and even now we have pre-release versions of many shows available.

So where does my fear come from? It seems like my eagerness for the new tv season has eroded more every year, to where it has gotten to be almost a negative feeling. Where once I was excited about all the new content I could check out and hopefully find some new shows to enjoy, I am instead sure that most shows will suck, and those that don't suck will likely be canceled. One would think with this attitude I would be off television. That is not the case though. With the expansion of cable/satellite, there are new tv shows coming on all year long. So I don't need the fall season anymore. The cable channels are MUCH more likely to actually air a show they hype up and promote to me, so I feel much less like I am wasting my time. Even if it only lasts a season or two, you can count on it staying, most of the time. Certainly there are exceptions, but on the networks, most new shows don't make it through their initial orders, it seems.

To get to this season specifically, I have seen several early episodes via leaks and previews, and have been fairly disappointed in them all. Beyond that the slate of shows and their descriptions simply leave me entirely lacking. I did not think I would like Heroes last summer, though, and I really enjoyed it. Problem is this was the only show I can remember that was introduced last year that I care about watching this year. The year before that Criminal Minds was the only new show I can recall having the least bit of interest. So with my recent history, I will be lucky if I find a single show that I both enjoy and that gets renewed for the next season.

I wish I could get that eagerness and anticipation back where I could be excited to see the first episode of "Best of the West". Now I assume everything will suck, and it is hard for me to muster even a little bit of interest. I can't remember having such a poor response to the blurbs and descriptions to an entire fall lineup.

Am I doomed by my pessimism to never enjoy another Fall TV Season again?

2. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I know what ya mean. I used to love the eagerness of the new Fall Season, not so much past few years.

Tho, the New Summer Seasons have fail to disappoint past few years.

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I'm pretty excited because it seems like they are all starting around the same time this year, which is unusual.

4. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I still get attached but it depends on the show. I am sure I will like Chuck and look forward to it every week but is it going to be the quality that FNL is? I doubt it. I am more upset when good shows don't get a chance.

5. Bettamojo5

Bettamojo5 Rolling Along

Apr 12, 2004
    New...
    I too am underwhelmed with the offerings so far. As you said, I may be surprised by one or two, but odds don't look good right now.

6. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    I wouldn't say "never again". Television tends to run in cycles. For example, in the mid-1970s, sitcoms had a run of popularity; in the mid-1980s, they were in decline; in the mid-1990s, they were in favor again; today, they've once again taken a backseat. More crime shows! More medical shows! More competeition shows! (Who would have thought ten years ago that not only would there be a separate Emmy category for reality TV, but there would be two of them - one for "competition shows" (which is considered popular enough to qualify for the main Emmy telecast), and one for non-competition shows (which is relegated to the Who Cares Creative Arts Emmys - and the producers are probably glad for that, considering what Kathy Griffin said in her acceptance speech)?)

For that matter, who would have thought that Saturdays would have turned from the night of Carol Burnett and The Love Boat to Cops and whatever shows NBC and CBS feel like showing a second time (I am under the impression that one of NBC's Saturday night instant reruns this fall will be Friday Night Lights, to catch the people who are out on Friday nights watching actual high school football)?

-- Don

7. Goobergirl

Goobergirl New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    precisely the reverse!

I'm amazed by the quality and variety of television these days, and I think it has everything to do with all the cable channels and different audiences.

I've been "eagerly anticipating" fall seasons probably longer than you've been alive, and in the last few years it's been "heh...whatever". But this season I see a whole bunch of stuff I'm looking forward to checking out:

Pushing Daisies
    Journeyman
    Bionic Woman
    Chuck (watched the pilot via blockbuster DVD...looks fun!)
    Reaper
    Moonlight

And more. And among the shows that have happened in recent years?

Heroes
    Lost
    Grays
    Damages
    Saving Grace
    Mad Men
    The Company (more like a big movie)
    The Office
    30 Rock

And this doesn't even address all the lesser shows I catch here and there, and stand by stuff like Daily Show and Colbert.

In fact, it's kinda bugging me that there's so much great TV happening: I need to have a LIFE!

8. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    If it is bad, I can watch Netflix and the stored masses of unwatched summer shows I have. I have a few last year shows also. Time to catch up. (I can do also something really weird. It is when you pick up this thing that is a bunch of papers bound together. All the papers have "print" on them and sometimes they tell a very long story or have a very long article on something that is not fiction. I think this is called "reading".)

9. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    This crop doesn't seem any worse than any other year. I find that as I get older, I'm increasingly apathetic about TV shows in general. It's kind of all been done, ya know? But I don't attribute that to the shows themselves, it's just me getting old & jaded.

10. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    When I compare TV of now to the TV of say, the '70's or 80's, there's just no comparison... we have MUCH better TV now than then, IMO.

There's always going to be the dreck (the game shows and reality, for me), but the top shows of today are much better than the top shows of yesteryear.

11. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    I'm really looking forward to spring more than fall. I'm really irritated that I have to wait until then for some of my favorites like 24, The Shield, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, and The Amazing Race to return.

I'm going to check out a few of the new fall shows, Journeyman and Bionic Woman in particular, but none of them look very promising to me.

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm not too thrilled. Most of the top-tier shows are either losing steam, or I have good reason to think they WILL lose steam. The 2nd-tier shows are okay, but not great. And I get tired of the filler shows by the end of summer.

13. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    My disappointment isn't so much over the quality of shows as over the speed with which they're cancelled. If Fox had pulled The X-Files as quickly as it does now it would never have had time to find an audience. I am also disappointed with the constant need to "win" every time slot. That kind of thinking pits good new shows against current hits, almost always resulting in the cancellation of the new show because it unsurprisingly didn't win #1 in its time slot. Personally, I think "#1 or nothing" is a waste of studio dollars.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Given that this was the best August for television I can remember, I'm quite optimistic about the fall as well.

15. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I guess I've just gotten jaded. I'm figuring the good shows will get canceled in the first few weeks and be replaced by four more days of Lets Make a Deal, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc. I don't have much loyalty to or faith in network television because they have proved me right over and over and over again.

16. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I think folks can choose to look at the cup as half-full or as half-empty. What I see, this year, is that already, despite having added a second dual-tuner HD DVR to my living room array, I will have a conflict on Tuesday, September 25, since the Unit, House, Reaper, Eureka and Boston Legal will all be broadcast at the same time. (Luckily, Eureka is rebroadcast later than night.) The conflict between The Unit, House and Reaper will last as long as all three of those shows do. And there is another time-slot with a conflict like that: Private Practice, Criminal Minds and Bionic Woman. I remember having an issue with three shows on at the same time last fall -- this fall it is two time-slots with such a conflict... that indicates progress of a sort, in the "television is getting better" direction.

I don't see much sense in focusing on the shows that we don't like. Those shows are for other people. It's like being upset that so much of the space on the shelves in the store are for clothing that doesn't fit, when all you really should care about is the clothing that does fit. If you find yourself reading books or surfing the web at night, specifically during times when you used to be watching television, then perhaps either you've grown up (I hope I never do) or you really don't enjoy television as before. If, instead, you have a continual backlog on your TiVo, then take that as a sign that television is very good.

17. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Most of the big network new shows are going to suck. It's been like that forever. The cable networks have lots of quality programming to fill in the gaps.

18. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Boston Legal is on at 10, so unless it's a 2-hour premiere (which seems silly given the type of show that it is) you wouldn't have a 5-way conflict. (I've had those before, and they suck).

Edit - I looked it up and see they have a 90 minute seasion premiere. Yeah, that sucks. BT is your friend.

19. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Wednesday night is one of my 5 way conflicts... Bionic Woman, Kitchen Nightmares, Gossip Girl, Private Practice and Criminal Minds.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think you guys are just getting old... (as am I)

It seems to me there are good years and bad years (which is which is each person's opinion of course). Last year there were too many shows that I liked (not necessarily new that year), so I even stopped watching the various CSIs at some point.

I haven't determined whether I'll actually do it, but I'm considering checking out some of the new shows, but generally netflix-ing the recent shows I've missed instead. (and will netflix the new shows when they get on DVD, etc..) while still Tivoing news and reality shows, the latter which typically don't get onto DVD as often as sitcoms & dramas.