IMO: Houston Comcast knows TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by 20TIL6, Dec 18, 2007.

1. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

I have had cablecard TiVo units in Houston for over 18 months. My first ones were activated just as TWC was officially leaving town. At that time, cablecard support was fair at best. Probably just under fair to be honest.

When the HD units came out, I picked one up. I went to my nearest service center to pick up the cards (yes, we get to do self-install, PLUS no card rental fees!), and support had gotten a bit better. Card availability that is. But I still had the lady behind the counter repeatedly tell me that I would not be able to get channels above 100 with the cards.;) OK, sure, more training for her I'm guessing.

Well, I just installed another HD unit yesterday. Again, to my nearest service center I go to get the cards, and the lady behind the counter asks if it is for a TiVo. Yes. Then she asks is it for an S3 or HD? I'm somewhat impressed. Then she says, because if it is an HD we can give you one M card instead of two S cards. And this was the look on my face. :eek: I nearly soiled myself from that completely unexpected display of TiVo knowledge!

The call to the activation line was very smooth as well. Just moments after the call, all channels coming in on both tuners.

So, IMO, Houston Comcast is very supportive of TiVo.

2. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    CableCard installs with Comcast Houston are extremely problem free. These people know their stuff.

3. Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    To be fair, Comcase Jersey City has improved 1000% over the past year. Getting the cards for the S3 in Sept '06 was a multi-visit nightmare. Getting the single M-Card installed in Oct '07 was a short, simple visit. The tech had S and M Cards, and knew to use the M in the Tivo HD.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    That is amazing. :up:

5. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX

Advertisements

I know! Seems silly to post about something like this, but I just had to. I was floored when the lady knew about M and S cards relative to HD and S3 units.

6. tase2

tase2 Shy Guy

Sep 26, 2004
    Wallingford, CT
    I think this is a great thread.

:up::up: for Comcast Houston!

There is hope for the rest of the country.

7. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    One thing that may make it easy here is that Comcast doesn't do any pairing or copy protection on any channel. You can move the CCs around from system to system without any problems.

8. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Wow, I did not know that. I'm guessing that would help tremendously in troubleshooting.

9. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    Then later when they suddenly require pairing without collecting the correct info, everything mysteriously breaks.

Don't believe they would be that stupid? Think again.

10. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Its great to hear about what is going on.

11. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    I had a mixed experience.

Pros:
    • Woman on the phone was knowledgable and friendly, and the pairing process went smoothly. She assumed the card was for a TV, and I was surprised that when I said it was for a TiVo, she didn't say gesundheit or something.

Cons:
    • The Comcast installer that came to my house was supposed to bring me a cable card, but did not. "We don't carry those." Uh huh. I had to go get my own at the local office, which always means an hour wait in line.
    • The cable card forgot which channels I received on a daily basis for about four days. This required a call to Comcast every day, which always means an hour wait on the phone. This was the most annoying part of the whole thing, since it was Comcast that couldn't get their act together on the other end.

12. andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    Did you call the 341-1000 number or the 341-8080 number. The CableCard hotline is open 24 hours a day and I have always connected directly to a live person without any phone menus.

13. bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Good to know, thanks Andy.

14. dubluv

dubluv tivo lover

Mar 3, 2006
    long...
    damn, now i have to move to houston to get M cards!:D