iMedia MythTV Linux

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sdragoss, Jan 13, 2006.

1. sdragoss

sdragoss New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Mini-Box released the iMedia MythTV distro. Based on MythTV 0.18.x is designed to run on VIA EPIA mini-itx mainboards and Hauppauge PVR cards. Is one of the smallest out-of-the-box MythTV (0.18.1) distribution using only ~128Mb of storage.

We are very interested in getting a feedback!!Thanks

For those that want iMedia Mythtv, you can download on mini-box website

2. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Does the iMedia distro support any HD cards out-of-the-box?

I'm not interested in going through the effort to build a Myth box unless it offers something I don't already have in my TiVo - namely, HD.

3. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    Oh, could you also provide a link to the mini-box website?

4. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    It's mini-box . com I think it would support any tuner card that is new enough and can be added with the correct drivers. Though I only briefly looked at the site.

5. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    I only briefly looked at the site as well, but I caught this quote:

No mention of other capture cards, including HD cards.

There are linux drivers for some HD capture cards, and there are other MythTV distros (namely KnoppMyth) which support them. So unless these guys also support the HD cards out-of-box, I'm not sure what the iMedia distro offers that the other folks don't.

6. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    They appear to be hardware resellers... it probably doesn't offer anything additional, but may encourage you to order some gear. Sounds like spam to me, but I'm still trying to catch up on sleep. :)

7. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Why would anyone choose this over KnoppMyth? It offers little hardware support unlike KnoppMyth and doesn't seem to have any type of community that offers support. I use the KnoppMyth distro and have never had any major problems that weren't easily fixed. Also KnoppMyth is designed to be easily upgradable. I don't see much info about this on the Mini Box site.

Plus, it seems to be spam if you ask me. Why would you post this here anyway?

8. mportuesi

mportuesi As seen on TV

Nov 10, 2002
    San...
    I think both of you are right -- it's spam. As I write this, the person who started the thread has made only one forum post.

What they sell is interesting if you are considering building a Myth box, but I think KnoppMyth is a better distro choice. It has a wider variety of hardware support and an active user community surrounding it.

9. Kanyon71

Kanyon71 New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Tampa Fl
    I don't know if it's spam or not but I have been to that site in the past as a friend of mine builds Car PC's so I did a google and found it. Now as for either of the distro's I can't say if they are good or bad, I have only used MythTV with Fedora that I built. I thought it was a cool program but my tuner card sucked so I had to abandon my messing around.

10. Aflat

Aflat Member

Aug 29, 2005
    MythTV needs a much higher end GFX card to play HD content. Just about any HD capture card can record HD with little processing power, its the playing of HD content that takes work. Right now, I think I've seen someone say they need a 2.8GHZ machine minimum to play HD content, and I think the VIA boards max out at about 1.2.