Imaging a Series 2 disk

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by gmcc, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1 of 13
    gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    I am posting this knowing it's pretty specific to Acronis True Image and thinking the odds are maybe small that anyone knows the answer, but ya never know.

I've had my series 2 box for a good while now and decided it was probably a good idea to make a backup image of the drive to keep on hand for when the drive finally dies.

I popped it out of the Tivo box and put it in a USB2 drive carrier and booted to the Acronis boot CD. While Acronis could see the disk, it thought the disk was empty so wouldn't allow it to be imaged. As a second test I put the drive in as a slave in a pc and tried again, with the exact same results.

I use this s'ware to back up Linux disks at work (mail server etc.) without a problem. Does Tive do something special to their disks to trip up imaging s'ware like this or is there something else going on here that I haven't thought of yet?

George

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    They don't use the partitioning system PCs use.

If you can do a sector image.

Otherwise, it is recommended you use MFStools, which is designed to recognize TiVo partitions and treat them appropriately.

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You can make a "binary" backup using Ghost, DriveImage or Acronis. These programs are not able to read the TiVo partitions so they can only make a binary sector by sector backup. The backup includes every byte used or unused on the drive and because video does not compress very much the resulting backup file will be almost the same size as the TiVo's drive.

Here is your chance to try the new WinMFS TiVo backup software that runs on Windows.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 13
    gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    I didn't see that as an option in my software, but it dawned on me just now that I don't have the exact same version of Acronis at home as I have at work. So that may explain why I can do a Linux disk backup at work and not at home. I'll investigate that tomorrow.

George

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 13
    HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    I have Acronis True Image Home V10. Make and boot from the CD click the check box next to the drive then next.

Using Acronis and the binary backup is not the recommended or best way to backup you might as well just mirror the drive instead of storing 80G of backup image files. With the mirrored drive backup the drive is ready to plug in if needed.

What I did for my TiVos was use the free MFSTools (now MFSLive) and copied the original TiVo drive to a new (much larger) drive using the MFSTools expand option now I have 320 hours of recording space on my 40 hr Series2 TiVo. The original 40G drive is safely stored away. I also made several small (without saving the recordings less then 200M) backup images that I burned to a CD.

6. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    So what would be the drive size limit for doing this in order for the Tivo to actually use the added space?

7. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Some say the limit for the Series2 is about 2 TeraBytes. 1TB EIDE drives are way out of my budget so the max size is what you can afford. The sweet spot was 500G that may of changed I have see some really good deals on 750G drives lately. For the Series2 TiVo be sure the drive is an EIDE (PATA) type drive the spindle speed (RPM) or the cache size is not important when it is used in the TiVo.

8. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    Price would be my limiting factor as well. I'll probably put his on my 'to do' list.

9. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    So from my bit of reading around here, am I correct in that I can't tell Acronis that I'm installing a new larger drive and let it just proportionally enlarge the partitions and end up with any more program storage?

(in the case where I'd double or so the physical HD size)

George

10. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You are correct, Acronis TI can only make a 1:1 binary copy.

MFSTools is what you need for backup, copying and/or changing the size of TiVo drives. MFSLive is a new version of MFSTools with several fixes and some extras. There is an Interactive Command Generator for MFSLive that can help if you use the command line version boot CD. There is an even newer Windows version that I linked to before I have not had the opportunity to use the Windows version yet.

11. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    I certainly can't argue about the Acronis business because I've never tried to do it. It isn't that easy to find specific specifics on the Acronis help web site(s) but I did find the following statements with respect to Acronis 10 Home:

-----
    Supported File Systems
    • FAT16/32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, and Linux SWAP
    • Special sector-by-sector support for other partitions and corrupted file
    systems

Acronis® True Image 10 Home now includes the full capabilities of Acronis® Migrate Easy, the disk cloning and disk deployment solution.
    -----

And under the Migrate Easy docs:

-----
    Partition Management

Resizes transferred partitions to match new hard disk size;
    -----

So on the surface it would appear that it could do what I was thinking, depending on exactly what sort of file system the Tivo uses. Is it not one of either Ext2 or 3?

George

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    TiVo uses several partitions the un-hacked TiVo has 11 of them a combo of EXT2, Linux Swap and Modified Apple MFS partitions. Another problem is depending on the model of TiVo if it is one using a non Intel processor then the hard drive is written byte reversed. Acronis can not do what you want the Linux tools will.

13. gmcc

gmcc New Member

Feb 11, 2006
    TN
    OK... I'm sold. :)