Image is garbled

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tivoboyjr, Jan 22, 2016.

1. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003

Advertisements

The image on my TV is garbled and I haven't been able to fix it. I wanted to see if anyone else has dealt with the issue- hopefully more successfully than I have.

I have a Roamio Pro. It was working fine until tonight.

I've restarted the Tivo, disconnected/reconnected the HDMI cable, have removed/repeated the cable card and have restarted my HD receiver. None of this made a difference.

When I restart the Tivo, the "starting up" image is normal then once it goes to moving pictures, it is garbled. Here is a picture showing what my TV video looks like. [​IMG]

2. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    PS- using another Tivo to watching shows that were on the "bad" Tivo works. The video is fine. So it would seem that the hard drive is OK. A bad cable card maybe?

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I wouldn't bet on a bad cable card. However, a bad tuner might be an issue. Since you have done a restart, you have found that it causes all tuners to be on the same channel. After the restart, I would cycle though all the tuners with the Live TV button to see if all are bad or it's just one or two. Pure speculation.

4. bwhitney

bwhitney Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Kearneysvill...
    I would bet you got new Software, either RC14 or RC21. RC14 broke many Roamios screwing up the Tuners. RC21 should work after a POWER CYCLE, not a Restart. A Restart will break the patch if is the same version I am running. So try unplugging your Roamio for 30 seconds and allow a clean reboot to see if your problem goes away.

Good Luck,
    Brad

5. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

So the menus and previously recorded shows, shows from apps etc all work correctly, or is it that just live tv and newly recorded shows are like that?

If everything is coming out like that, is it possible that the tivo is set to output something your tv cant handle? e.g. its an set that only handles 720p and its currently outputting 1080p. Also, have you tried connecting the tivo to another tv? Have you tried connecting any other sources to this tv?

Edit to add: While playing a show or watching live tv and there is no overlay/guide etc on-screen, pushing up on the 4-way cycles it through all of the resolutions.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think the Tivo is using a resolution that the TV cannot support. If you get to Tivo Central, can you see the menus? If so, then go to Settings / Video and see/test the resolutions and choose only the highest the TV supports.