I'm want to buy three Lifetime Tivos on eBay

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Proszell, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Proszell

Proszell New Member

Mar 23, 2005

Advertisements

Any suggestions on which Series 3 to buy?

Series 3 HD, I have cable cards coming from Comcast (next Friday). I've heard some have two cable card slots, some have one. I think I want the one with, one cable card slot.

O, I'm buying these with Lifetime Service on them.

Thank You

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you want a Tivo with only one cablecard slot, you have to go with a Series 4 Premiere (or Elite).

The S3 TivoHD has two cablecard slots, but will work with just one M Card.

The original S3 OLED requires two cablecards no matter what type.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    All Series 3 TiVos have two CableCARD slots. The original S3, model TCD648250, requires 2 cards (either S or M type). The TiVoHD or TiVoHD XL, models TCD652160 and TCD658000 respectively, need 1 M-card or 2 S-cards. Since cable providers are now required to issue M-cards, the latter two models will only need one card.

4. Proszell

Proszell New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Obviously you guys know what you are talking about.

Do you think there is any possiblity that I should go ahead and buy three premiers with lifetime on all three (that's $1,500) really hard for me to justify for TV.

But, since the premier is a RAM Based (not spinning, old type) hard drive, it shouldn't ever wear out.

Right?

Gosh this is expensive.

5. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas

Advertisements

The Premieres have hard drives in them as well.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Maybe used Premieres for $500 each but I doubt you could get new ones for that. On the other hand, if you get any old Tivo with lifetime and use it to establish a Tivo account you will qualify for MSD pricing from Tivo. That could get you three new Premieres with lifetime from Tivo for $500 each. As was pointed out, Premieres use plain old hard drives, not SSD.

7. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I would probably be willing to pay a $200 premium for a new Premiere with lifetime compared to a used TiVoHD with lifetime. I haven't been following used TiVoHD with lifetime prices to know if it makes any sense to buy one today but it may, $300 might be a good price if I was in the market.

8. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
  9. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    I have a TiVo TCD65648250B with Lifetime that I would sell for $350 (shipping included) to continental US. This is the top of the line that originally sold for $899 and is THX certified. PM me if interested. I am in Delaware.

10. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    If you don't get a bite here, make sure to post it in the "eBay Auctions" forum. Too bad I don't have room for another Tivo - that's a good price.

11. Dabreeze

Dabreeze New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Jeff, I sent you a PM. Please reply. Thanks

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why don't you get an Elite (4 tuners!) if you're willing to spend $1500! (that would be ~900-$1000 including lifetime). Do you need OTA?

13. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    My Premiere, and many others, are slower, often MUCH slower than any of the S3 platform boxes. I amazed at how frustratingly slow my Premiere is and am quite pleased when I switch to my S3 platform boxes for recordings there. Sorry, but I would go with a good S3 over a Premiere any day. I have wired Ethernet, so my transfer are fast. The only real advantage to the S4 platform is STREAMING to other Premiers (in my case it really doesn't make much of a difference).

Also, the Premiere ELITE (for digital cable only) is a good value as it can record up to 4 channels while only paying ONE monthly fee for ONE box. I could put-up with the slow Premiere for an ELITE, but it does not support OTA. Yes, I would have happily gotten an ELITE if it supported OTA, but still a good investment for digital cable households. I hope TiVo gets the Premier working much faster in the future.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Why pay monthly, when you can get lifetime?

15. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Depending on the cable co., there's also that monthly fee to consider. They don't offer lifetime.

16. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Hey there. Has this one been taken?

17. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I'll add my Series 3 OLED with 1.5TB hard drive and lifetime as available. It's fairly new from the 2009 Woot refurbs sale and has never had a problem, other than it has a small dent on the facia that was there when I got it.

I'd like an offer over $500. PM me.

18. expmag

expmag RehobothJeff

Dec 12, 2004
    Rehoboth...
    This is still available for $350 shipping included in continental US. I also have a WD DVR extender 1G for $100. Please PM me if interested.

19. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Are you saying a Premier in SDUI is slower then an S3 model? Not even close…

Not to hijack this thread for this but in fairness to a new user trying to make an informed decision...

The Premier has two modes, Standard Definition User Interface (SDUI) and High Definition User Interface (HDUI). The S3 models only have the SDUI mode.

The processor is faster in the Premier and this makes the SDUI mode lightning fast. In the HDUI mode it uses some internet content and a flash based interface and the menu transitions are noticeably slower.

In my case the Premier HDUI transitions is just as fast as the SDUI in both my S3 models. The SDUI in the Premier is the fastest menu system available on any current TiVo model.

All new and future development, services, updates and add-on devices will only work on the Premier Platform. If you choose the S3 model, please understand that will be a limitation.

In my opinion, both the Premier and S3 models work very well for what the are designed to be - DVR's. Either will serve well for that function.

You can save money by purchasing Lifetimed S3 HD models or you can get the more modern model for the added bells and whistles.

Good luck in your decision.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    I have a Premiere and an S3 both running right now. The Premiere is running the HD interface. It's faster than my S3 running the SD interface.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

edit: and we're talking, the original S3, bought it when it came out, paid 800 dollars for it, THX certified, etc etc etc etc.

edit edit: i have 12 mbps u-verse and wired networking throughout.