I'm waiting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RS4, Jul 22, 2007.

1. RS4

RS4 New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Indianapolis...

Advertisements

I've participated in a lot of threads on this Tivo forum recently over DirecTV's replacement for the HR10-250 and decided to list my reasons for holding tight with Tivo to see what comes down the pike in the next few months.

I've done a lot of research including looking at other forums (such as dbstalk.com) to know that I wouldn't be happy with DirecTV's replacement box as it currently sits.

My conclusions to that decision:

1. DirecTV decided to replace their current DTivo product line with boxes programmed by NDS. That turned out to be a major disaster, so they decided to come out with their own box for HD and even are currently in the process of replacing the NDS SD box with one of their own (H21).

2. Because of upcoming HD locals that are only available with mpeg4 receivers, DirecTV was forced to hurry the development of the box when the NDS box didn't work and ended up with a box that was not ready for release, but had to be anyway.

3. While the reliability of the replacement has gotten a lot better, I've seen some estimates that 1 in 5 new boxes have to be shipped back to DirecTV because they
    don't work.

4. One of the great things about the Tivo is it's user interface (UI). A lot of Tivo users love how easy it is to control the box. We feel it is intuitive and easy to
    understand. In fact many of us liked the box so much that we brought family and friends to DirecTV. But, we don't read those glowing endorsements of the new box. Instead, it seems to be more of a luke-warm attitude where most folks say they got used to it, but they would prefer a Tivo.

5. I wanted to try out the new box under a trial program so that if I didn't like the box, I could return it to DirecTV within a specified time. But, I was told by DirecTV that I was locked in for the 2-year commitment. That tells me that DirecTV realizes that this is not a quality box.

6. DirecTV's approval ratings have dropped the farthest of all the major satellite and cable companies. Again, a major part of that has to be due to things like their
    current dvrs.

I believe that DirecTV is anxious to lock us in to a two-year commitment in the hopes that they will have something that compares to the Tivo in terms of being
    accepted by their customers by the end of the time frame.

What are the options?

1. The obvious option is to go ahead, bite the bullet, put up with the misery, and get the HR20. Of course, that is the only option available for someone who feels
    they need mpeg4 right now for locals (remember you don't necessarily get all locals showing in HD) and the upcoming nationals.

2. Wait a few months and see if there are any signs of change from the new owners once they get in place. This is the option I'm planning on taking. I think the next few months are crucial for those of us who love Tivo but would prefer to stay with DirecTV if possible.

DirecTV is hoping that all of the excitement of the new HD channels will get the rest of us that are reluctant to hop on board their bandwagon. They want to turn off the mpeg2 HD channels asap and so every DTivo household they get to mpeg4 in the next few weeks/months means they are that much closer to shutting down one of our features in the HR10-250. (Yes, we'll still have the locals and mpeg2 SD so that means the HR10-250 will be functional.)

But the opposite of that is true. If there are a lot of us HR10-250 users that don't make the switch in the near term, DirecTV's new owners may look at their options
    including a DTivo mpeg4 unit which I think the majority of us HR10-250 owners would prefer.

I think it's important to get DirecTV's attention and one way of doing that is with what we buy - and in this case don't buy that will get them reviewing their options, especially with new management looking with fresh eyes.

3. Leave DirecTV. There is a lot going on with switched HD video and this offers some opportunities for the cable companies to be able to offer more HD. Here again, the next few months are equally important to the cable companies and so one more reason I don't want to be locked in for 2 years. I think once this new technology gets in place, we'll be able to determine what our Tivo options will be.

A lot of people don't understand all the fuss about dvrs. That's fine and I'm sure they'll enjoy what DirecTV is offering today. But I think the time is crucial for those
    of us who would prefer to have a DTivo mpeg4 option. And it seems to me the best option we have at the moment is to stand firm by not getting the replacement boxes and to let DirecTV know that.

Who knows, if enough of us wait, DirecTV may actually offer us something we want and will enjoy and will gladly sign up for another 2 years.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    My main reason for waiting is that DirecTV has yet to offer my HD locals (which are only ABC, CBS, Fox and PBS at the moment) and the big MPEG4 HD rollout hasn't happened yet.

Heck, the new HR21 may be out by then.

3. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

This is one of the things that really has me miffed at D* ...no opportunity to return their stuff and get outta the (2 year) commitment if you don't like it.

I think it would be more than fair for D* to give users a 30 day window to give their equipment a try, and if they were unhappy with it be able to return it w/o consequence.

The "once you activate it...you're stuck with it" mentality doesn't instill confidence IMO, and they might get some more folks to give the HR20 a shot if they were just a little more flexible.

4. brott

brott at redh dot com

Feb 23, 2001
    Pleasanton, CA
    I'm pretty sure that you can return the HR20 without penalty. However, the two year programming commitment would stick. So you could use this option if you were certain that you wanted to stay with DIRECTV over the next two years. If your sole purpose for trying the HR20 is to see if it's worth it for you to stay with DIRECTV, then yes, this is a problem.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

Broken record.

Broken record.

Broken record.

I think we all know where you stand, RS. Give it a rest.

6. dfioc

dfioc New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Orange...
    +1. Time to come up with something new.

7. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Hey now, we already have a "what's wrong with the HR20" thread, started by bonscott, and we now have a "why I won't go to the HR20" thread, so if we can keep rants against the HR20 in these two threads, I'll be happy. It will mean that any other thread that pops-up about asking a quick question about the HR20 can be simply answered and the thread should be allowed to die, rant-free and flame-free. I'm all for that.

8. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    I am fine with my HR20. I like the Tivo better but what the heck. However, I am sick of these rants started every day with a different title. It is what it is. The technology is still pretty amazing as far as I am concerned, but Lost in Space was my favorite tv show.. Or maybe it was the Fugitive in black and white.

9. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    Translation - I'm a Tivo lemming and only believe what I read (as long as it's negative), and I don't have any free will to actually try something before making blanket statements that are based on absolutely no first hand experience.

10. dfioc

dfioc New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Orange...
    It's "research" he's conducted. From reading RS4's posts, you get the distinct impression that any TIVO is the best piece of equipment ever invented, without faults and anyone who would think otherwise is an ignoramus.

11. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    <rant>Time Tunnel was much better!!!</rant> ;)

12. dfioc

dfioc New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Orange...
    The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits rule!

13. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    ... doing my best to hijack the thread. Didn't miss Gunsmoke too often. None of this DVR stuff. You had to be in front of the TV at the prescribed time!

14. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    WOW, you really are clueless. You also probably did NOT read the forums @ dbstalk.

Then again you don't read these forum much either. How many HR10 go back every few days? I had 3 HR10 die in 6 months! now a 4th going downhill until I fixed it.

Also he H21/R178 are STRIPPED DOWN versions of the H20/R16 not replacements because they are bad DVRs.

There is nothing wrong with loving your Tivo. But nothing wrong with others loving their new HR20. The UI is different, but I always thought the Hr10/Tivo were too kiddy lie for me.

MFG! :mad:

15. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Is it possible to try an HR20 without a two year commitment?

Seems like his list of options reflects more free will than just accepting whatever DirecTV wants to provide.

16. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    Do you have a protection plan? Then say it died and get a new HR20 fro $19.99 shipped and you get to keep your Hr10.

Then if you don't like the HR20 deactivate it. Oh, then there is no 2 yr commit.

Unless you can talk customer mention into a trail period but I doubt it!

My HR10 kinda died so I had no choice. They sent the HR20 and told me to keep the HR10. I love the HR20 and fixed my HR10 (which I was VERY happy with.) back to smooth running 3.X software.

17. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    No, no protection plan.

18. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    aad it and then get a HR20.

19. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Based of the OP:

#1) You need to do some more research... the R15 was done by NDS, the HR20 is done by DirecTV... not NDS. While the GUI's look the same, they are different systems underneath...

#2) Yes, it ceratinly was a factor in having to get the MPEG-4 DVR on the market, earlier then they probably really wanted to.

#3) Based on what time frame? The last year, which would include a significant number of returns due to software bugs, improper installations (with this box, was some of the first time these installers where including 5LNB hardware), and then genuine hardware issues with the box. (which has shown no major difference in occurence from any other CE device out there)

#4) The UI is 100% user opinion. We (at DBSTalk) have done "tests", and it shows that you can do just about everything on an DVR+ box, in the relative same number of button clicks (some take a few longer, others take a few less) as the TiVo...

I used TiVo for 5+ years before my first DVR+ system, and it took me nearly a month to learn the new GUI interface.... Yesterday, I had to fix my mother's SA TiVo (network connection), and wanted to throw that peanute through the TV screen, as I had to hunt for what I was looking for...(and that is only 2 years removed from being able to control a TiVo with my eyes closed)

#5) That has to be the BIGGEST farce of garbage that is being pushed out there. The commitments STARTED before the HR20+ system was even released (99% sure it was even before the R15)... And when it was released it applied to new (tothe customer) R10, HR10-250, as well as the D10/11/12 and H20 installations when it was first introduced... So I guess they realized those where not quality boxes too.

The Lease commitment has to do with two main components:
    1) Ways to offset the costs of the box on the "financial" sheets... It was explained like that during the Q1 quarterly report.
    2) To keep people from getting the expensive new hardware, at significantly subsidezed prices... and there being no opportunity to recoop the costs of the installations (which includes the dish, installer, time, let alone the boxes)

Here is a suggestion...
    They should offer you the option to pre-pay the full costs of the installation... if you don't want to agree to the commitment... then at the end of the 30 days, you can get a credit on your account for the "difference". Since they are not going to send an installer out to take down the MPEG-4 dish and other related hardware... but you could easily ship back the HR20.

If after 30days, you don't contact them... you are immediately applied to a 2 year contract (retro active to activation date)

#6 - Where are the reports? What were the questions asked? Is it possible that it could have anything to do with the legnthy delay in getting the new HD content? Or that they have changed their customer service model, to get a little "tougher" with customers and not keeping giving them everything they demand?

-------------------
    As for "options"

1) You could go with a non-dvr and just enjoy the MPEG-4 content live.

2) Sure you could wait, there is no penalty in waiting... Other then when you realize that there is going to be no differences when Liberty get's their major shares of the stock, that you now may have to wait 3+ months for installation (due to demand, availability of installers and hardware)

3) Has something changed, or is the S3 (or S3-Lite) going to be able to support Switched Video?.... the Cox integrated unit is no where to be found, and the Comcast one is not even in it first limited release market yet...

20. gio1269

gio1269 "HR20 Army"

Jul 27, 2006
    Earl, off-topic question. But can the S3 be used in conjunction with a H20?

My good friend says his Dad is using one together like this., Something about an IR repeater and the S3 acts a VCR from the SAT box. Is this possible?

Thanks! PM me here if you can...