I'm trying to get rid of the Actiontec...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ibadukefan, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ibadukefan

ibadukefan New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    I'm trying to get rid of the Fios Actiontec router. I want to use my own Netgear managed switch for better management and speed. My setup is two Tivos using MoCa and two Fios STB's. I have an Apple AirPort Extreme to replace the WiFi.

So my question is...

Hat do I need to do or buy to make this work the best without the Actiontec?

Tivo MoCa Ethernet bridge? Switch ONT to Ethernet?

We do not use any Fios VOD features, only the onscreen guide.

Thoughts?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you switch to a router that is not MoCA capable, you can just add a MoCA adapter (AKA Tivo Bridge) between the coax and a LAN port.

3. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Are you paying anything for that router? Because if you're going to keep the fios stbs and you are not being charged for the router .. it'll make troubleshooting issues with the stbs much easier to resolve. You can disable the wireless on it.

4. ibadukefan

ibadukefan New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Yes.

5. ibadukefan

ibadukefan New Member

Aug 2, 2013
    If I use the Tivo Bridge will the Fios STB still keep their basic functionality or will they need a specific bridge as well?

6. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    I assume you connection to the ONT is CAT5e/CAT6 and not coaxial, correct?

You need to keep the FIOS router, but use it as a MoCA bridge that plugs into your main router. Google to see how to do this or look at these instructions:

How-to: Make Actiontec MI424WR Revision I (Rev.I) a Network - Verizon FiOS | DSLReports Forums

Note you don't have to clone the MAC address, but you'll have to wait up to three hours to get Internet connectivity back if you don't.

You can't eliminate the FIOS router, because the Verzion STB won't have any guide data. You could buy another MoCA bridge to replace it, but you already have one in the router and they're the same price.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Not sure what you think you are going to accomplish, but you should have purchased your own Fios Actiontec Rev I or the newer dual band AC rated G1100 possibly years ago. The Actiontec versions are so cheap that many folks keep one around just for possible troubleshooting.
    There is a Fios FAQ on dslreports which will likely provide you with the various router options and configurations, (see section 3.1) as well as how to do any number of other nifty things. Verizon FiOS FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
    Seems to me that if you simply connect your switch to the whatever router and run all of the secondary Ethernet runs through that you will get any speed boosts you are likely to get.
    You could also just configure your own router as a wireless AP and either disable the wireless on the Verizon router or not.
    The older Rev I units seem pretty cheap right now on Ebay, Verizon FIOS - Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I | eBay
    and the Verizon Gateway G1100's can usually be found for under $100, dual band AC, MoCA 2.0, verizon fios quantum gateway g1100 | eBay

8. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    If you just replace the stbs with TiVo mini than you can return the stbs and the actiontec

9. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    But then he would have crappy guide data. I used my FIOS STB this past weekend just to check what was on, because I had a lot of "Cinemax programming" and "HBO programming" on the Tivo.
    Plus, the SD boxes are free so if he's hooked up to an SD TV it'll cost him if he switches to a mini.

10. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    When did that happen?

When I returned to TiVo (HD) in the fall of 2015 after a decade with ReplayTV (SD), I returned the Motorola QIP-2500 because, IIRC, they were charging me $6.95/mo for it. I still have the Motorola QIP-7100 for the 'rare' occasions when I want to see something 'On Demand'. Yeah, I know that it's a waste of money but... :rolleyes:

But, a *FREE* FiOS SD STB has piqued my interest - please tell me more.

11. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    • What model Actiontec router do you have?
    • What FiOS speed tier (UP/DOWN) do you have?
    • How many applications / household members access the internet simultaneously and are you maxing out your router and / or your speed tier?
    I NEVER used my MI424WR as a router - I immediately set it up in 'Bridge Mode' per the excellent instructions over on DSLReports. I had been running DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G and I installed it on a Buffalo WHR-G54S in anticipation of switching from Comcast to FiOS several years ago (I had both Comcast and FiOS for one month). I use ONE port on the WHR-G54S to connect to a 8-port Gigabit switch and that switch connects to other 8-port Gigabit switches in different areas on my house (My MI424WR, WHR-G54S and first 8-port Gigabit switch all reside next to each other in my basement). I have 50/50 service, I'm the only user, and none of my apps max out my connection (I have ~40-50 devices in my MAC-to-IP table). I have 2 Asus routers, set up as Access Points, at each end of my house supplying WiFi. I get solid 135Mbps LINKs on all of my 802.11n devices.

You must be a relatively new FiOS subscriber because I don't pay anything for my MI424WR. Have you researched buying a MI424WR, or G1100, on eBay and whether or not FiOS will allow you to use it? DSLReports is a great place to SEARCH for the answer.

Good Luck! :D

12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They were charging us (well for my son at college) for the router (MI424WR). We got them one of the cheaper plans with 2 TV packages and 50Mbps Internet. I eventually bought one on eBay after we made sure there were no issues with the service.

Scott

13. kazz244

kazz244 Member

Jan 23, 2008
    We've had Fios send it was introduced in the area around 2008. Never used an Actiontec router. When Verizon first set it up, they used a Motorola Moca adapter to set up a Moca network (originally, we had an HD which didn't have a bridge). Later on, I bouight a couple of Moca adapters from Tivo. Since then, I've added a Premiere, Roamio, and Bolt. We also have a Verizon DVR. All have worked fine, and Verizon techs have been able to remote in and hit the cablecards when necessary, and troubleshoot the DVR when it gave us problems a year ago.

I've had Linksys, Netgear, and Trendnet routers, and all have performed great. I've always used high-end routers, and never had any issues with transfers between the Tivo's.