I'm thinking about buying a DVR

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by collegegrad2006, Dec 28, 2005.

1. collegegrad2006

collegegrad2006 New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    texas
    I really really want a directv dvr but i dont have a phone line =(....my fiance and i only have cell phones so theres no point of having a phone line when we are rarely home...we want a dvr since we are at school or work when our favorite shows are showing...i dont want to spend $100 for something that will not work...is it true that you dont need a phone line permanently connected? i can actually activate a dvr without the phone line and all im gonna get is that annoying message? i would really appreciate your help!

2. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The newest DirecTV DVRs (the R15, just came out weeks ago) doesn't need a phone line to operate, but many feel the R15s are inferior to the previous Series 2 DirecTivos - visit http://www.dbstalk.com and find the discussion on the R15 units as they no longer want them discussed here in a Tivo/DTivo forum.

You can still find R10s (the last of the Tivo-based DirecTivos) and activate them. A phone line is needed briefly during activation... taking it to your Auntie Bessy's house for a few minutes (to use her phone line) will do as no satellite connection for the phone line step is needed. After 30 days they will 'nag' you once a day when you go into the Tivo menus, but that's it. Many in these forums have their DTivo boxes disconnected from a phone line for many months with no ill effect.

If you get a non-R10 DTivo (which can be easily hacked with info found in these forums) then you'll never get a nag message at all. Hacking isn't just for doing away with phone line nags - you enable networking to support web interface and other useful network goodies. Some online order houses still have non-R10 DirecTivos (i.e. SD-DVR40, SD-DVR80, etc.) and there are many available on eBay.

Any of the DirecTivos can easily have their recording capacity increased using commodity drives... the R15s cannot do this (at least for now - too new to know yet).

If you want to order any PPVs, just do so via the web - thus the box will never need to call out.

3. Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    I don't have an Aunt Bessy, so I guess I'm screwed?

:D :D :D :D :D :D

4. goony

goony New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Yup. :p

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    She died? I'm so sorry.

One additional caveat. If you buy a new non-R10/R15 DVR you'll need to make two calls. The first to activate the DVR service, the second (much longer) to download the 6.2 software.

A used DVR would most likely have the new software already installed.

6. scottwood2

scottwood2 New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Our Huges DVR-40 does need a phone connection of some sort. We seen the nag screen a lot over the years and it worked fine but with 6.2 the unit stopped recording after a few weeks. No warning of anything, just started missing some shows and then more and more failed to record.

We set up ours to use PPP through the computer and the internet for the dial out. We also don't have a phone line in the house any more and just use cell phones.

To set ours up for the first time, we talked to a neighbor and ran phone line extension cords from our house into their phone plug for the first call out. Yes it is a pain and DTV are real worryed about disconnected phone lines for some reason. It should be easer than this.

7. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Get someone to InstantCake and PTVNet your machine, which should eliminate all of your problems, unless you have secondary hardware problems.

8. scottwood2

scottwood2 New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Thx, we looked into doing this but decided that we would just keep it as is. I don't mind keeping a phone line pluged into the DTivo but we don't have a house line. This is where DTV needs to work with us.

We have PPP working fine and all is good. :) :) :)

Oh one thing we did do was to upgrade the HD to a 160g.

BTW - I was tring to find a post on starting up a new machine. We just setup a new Hughes DVR-80 and I was not sure if I had to have a phone line set up for the 1st call in. I tried setting it up with PPP and it worked fine. Just have to hit the directtv button to get you to the main menu and set up your phone codes. Worked great with no phone line at all.