I'm sure this is probably not possible

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by applelisa, Oct 14, 2015.

1. applelisa

applelisa New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Basic Tivo Roamio - Yamaha RX-N600 (no HDMI) - Old Sony Triniton HD XBR 36" tube set. I have one of those HDMI cables that converts to red, green blue, red, white. I've tried from Tivo to Yamaha component input but no picture on the Sony.

What am I missing, other than having a giant old tube set and an outdated Yamaha receiver. BTW this all worked great with my old HD Tivo.

Any suggestions?

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    you need a different connector. Don't use HDMI for this, use the Composite out port with a breakout cable.

3. applelisa

applelisa New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    The Tivo unit has an HDMI out, not sure I understand the suggestion. It does have a small yellow output, is that what you mean? what is at the other end of the cable that will plug to the Yamaha? Will that produce HD output? thanks, Bill

4. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Composite won't give HD and the Roamio Basic doesn't do component. Therefore, the only option for HD on the Basic is HDMI.

5. applelisa

applelisa New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks so much - I'm going to put my Series 3 back into service.....

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you use the HDMI output on your old HD to feed that adapter cable, or just come straight out of the component (red, green, blue RCA jacks) output of the HD into one of the 3 component inputs on the Yamaha?

I suspect what's happening is that the Roamio isn't getting the proper "handshake" signal back up into its HDMI port from an HDMI jack that you don't have on a newer television that you don't have, and therefore it's not allowed to send video out the HDMI output because you might be trying to circumvent copy protection, and that's what the HDCP part of HDMI is supposed to prevent, and as far as I'm concerned the real reason for the existence of HDMI in the first place.

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Yes, better than reverting to your TiVo HD
    Strongly suspect you won't notice the HD difference on the old TV.

I thought TiVo sold a breakout cable for the Roamio basic but all I find on their web site is one for the TiVo mini. (??)