I'm sure it's me that's in the wrong...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by allen-uk, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jul 3, 2017 #1 of 13
    allen-uk

allen-uk New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Struggling a bit to set up cTivo, so hope you can help me.

I have a Tivo box, a Router, a MacMini with an SSD, OS El Capitan.

I have managed to connect the Tivo to the Router using ethernet, and have been successful to the point that on my downloaded cTivo program I can actually SEE all my 'My Shows' programs currently sitting on the Tivo box.

Trouble is, that's as far as I can get. The titles are greyed out, and whatever I do, I can't make them do anything. Control-click gives a 'download' option, but doesn't seem to function.

Also, when I access my Tivo account and get to the Device Preferences page, nothing works. I put in the same name (Living Room) as I've got on the Tivo itself, and tick the only available box 'Video Sharing' ('Enable video downloads' says N/A), and Save, but I just get bounced back to the same page again, with my 'name' now blanked out.

I am sure it's me, and not the various systems. I must be doing something wrong, but can't find out what!

Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Allen.

2. Jul 3, 2017 #2 of 13
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What Tivo box do you have? What are you trying to do? Stream to a PC/iOS device? Download to a device?

3. Jul 3, 2017 #3 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Sounds like you do not have your Media Access Key (MAK) entered into cTivo.

4. Jul 4, 2017 #4 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That would seem to be a problem if your account doesn't allow you to update the settings for that TiVo correctly including enabling video downloads. What are the TivoToGo setttings on your System Information page (should be a,a,a,a)? Also, as jrtroo also asked, what model TiVo do you have and any issues with making a service connection?

Scott

5. Jul 4, 2017 #5 of 13
    allen-uk

allen-uk New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Right. Not sure what all this means, as I'm a essentially a novice.

The box is a Virgin Tivo, model C15CO, Platform 8685, hardware 8.2, Has HDMI, SCART, Optical outputs, Ethernet connection.

TiViToGo reads: i,a,i,a

What I want to do is this:

At present, if I want copies of programs I've watched on Tivo/Samsung TV, then the only way I can see is to make a DVD on my connected Panasonic DVD recorder.

Quality suffers by the time I get the DVD back to my MacMini. I assumed that if I could access the program direct from my Tivo box to my Mac, I could cut out the middle-man and make a copy of higher quality. (Using, for example, old QuickTime/Screen Recording).

I've double-checked the MAK, and I have put the right figures into theright place on cTivo (Preferences, Tivos, Remote manual Tivos).

Also double-checked at Tivo.com, and still can't get past the Device Preferences page - N/A on video downloads.

No problems accessing Tivo connection, at all. And Testing connections through System Info/Dianostics always comes back 'OK'.

Hope this helps a bit...

Allen.

6. Jul 4, 2017 #6 of 13
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think I see what the problem may be, its a UK Tivo unit which is very different from US ones.

7. Jul 4, 2017 #7 of 13
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's the value for a Mini. So it can't be a source for content. For U.S., I would visit TiVo.com and check the account settings/Device Preferences for transfer options. Both should be checked. Since the Option is "N/A", video downloads and/or video sharing is disabled.

8. Jul 4, 2017 #8 of 13
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It's possible that Virgin doesn't allow downloads and has disabled this functionality (in fact seems likely based on what you are seeing). You could try posting this in the VirginMedia forum here although it's not very active or just give Virgin a call to see if they allow it.

Scott

9. Jul 5, 2017 #9 of 13
    allen-uk

allen-uk New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Spot on, Scott, that's precisely the case. Tried ringing Virgin tivo-line ('Tier 2'), and a not-too-helpful guy says no, I can't do that. You can do it on a 'V6' but only if you're downloading to a specific 'app' on a tablet, but never from Virgin Tivo to Mac.

So, I've learned something, but result = not this way.

Any other suggestions as to how to get a picture from either my Tivo or my Samsung TV across to my Mac would be very gratefully received!

Allen.

10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    In the US, you can just stream from online.tivo.com. Not sure if that works in the UK or with your particular Tivo model. Should be easy enough to test.

Another alternative is a slingbox. That's what I typically use, especially when travelling internationally.

Nickipedia likes this.
  11. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This would not work unless there is a Tivo Stream involved, whether built-in or a Stand-Alone model.

12. allen-uk

allen-uk New Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Could you expand on the 'slingbox'?

I'm still sure there must be a way to transmit from Tivo to Mac via my local ethernet network...

Thanks.

Allen.

13. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Its another network connected device that also connects to DVR/DVD etc. and stream over network/internet with remote capabilities.