I'm running both an R-10 and an R-15

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by catocony, Jul 15, 2008.

1. catocony

catocony Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I plugged in a freebie R-15 the other day in the office and it has the latest code, it's not the complete piece of crap it seemed to be 2 years ago when, on a dark night, I thought about replacing my DirecTivo 704 for the R15. Still crappy compared to Tivo, but I figure I'll give it a chance. Certainly not as easy as Tivo, but I figure I'll use both and report my findings in a month or two.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Many of us are using both Tivo-based and newer DirecTV DVRs. They each have their pros & cons, and I find them both to be very reliable these days.

3. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    The R15 now has the same interface as the HR series which has made it better. However it was replaced with the R16 about a year ago and now the R22 which actually has the same codebase as the HR series so DirecTV has finally gotten rid of all NDS code (which did the R15 and R16).

As for easy, honestly, they are both very easy to use. You just have to get used to the new UI. My first Tivo I got 8 years ago took me a few weeks to get used to. Same when I got my first DirecTV DVR. While I still have a DirecTivo I actually find it harder to use now since I don't use it that often while I fly thru the DirecTV DVR interface. It really is all what you are used to. Good luck.

4. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    How do you find the TiVo harder to use?

5. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Simply because I don't use it that often. Thus I forget what menus to go thru to get to certain things and I naturally want to do things the DirecTV DVR way. If I started using a Tivo every day again then it would get easier.

I've always said this whole UI "fight" between Tivo and non-Tivo is simply what you are used to. They are both very easy to use, they really are. But what seems easier to someone is simply what they are used to and use all the time. So when a long time Tivo user starts using a DirecTV DVR for the first time they find it hard. But give them a month or so (and maybe an open mind) then they will probably find it just as easy once they know what to do. Same thing going the other way, someone who has never used a Tivo will find it confusing at first until they get used to it. My wife complains about the Tivo all the time (she uses it the most) because it can't do a couple things that the DirecTV DVR does that she uses all the time (one touch record for example). So she find the Tivo frustrating now as I do. But I know if all we had were Tivo's again then we'd get used to them and they would become easy to use again.

It's the same when I have to use a Mac once in a while. While I know that a Mac is easy to use I find it horribly confusing because I don't know where anything is and takes me longer to do something simple because I'm not used to the interface. Doesn't make the Mac bad, it's just not something I use enough to know how to do things.