I'm out

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by schatham, May 15, 2020.

1. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Just cancelled Sling and un-linked the Tivo stream. I'll stick with cable. Sending them back since I own Roku's already.

I'll have to stick with the Roku for On-Demand.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    aaronwt likes this.
  2. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Occasional Old Timer

Jan 3, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Mine went back as well. As a be-all, end-all streamer, this device does not quite cut it. There are simply too many initial bugs, even for a newly released piece of hardware. For new or existing Sling subscribers, the Stream 4K would be a more compelling selection.

The aggregation of the various streaming media services, though, is a well-executed concept and should work for many viewers. I applaud TiVo's innovation in that regard and think that it will improve in subsequent iterations.

3. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    I just called and received the RMA but no shipping label. Did they email you a shipping label?

Never Mind, the shipping label came about 15 minutes later from FedEx.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    mobilelawyer likes this.
  4. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    I bought the Tivo Stream 4K just for the Android TV. The Tivo Stream part is just an app that can be disabled. So basically people returning it just don't like the the Tivo Stream app. However, I'd say as an Android TV box it is awesome.

5. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    True but I've noticed the remote is laggy, and Tivo still has a lot of junk in the OS even when you are not using their app. Just look at the spinning circle in the Prime Video app, it looks weird and laggy, I dont notice that on the Air Tv Mini 4k. There seems to be something going on in the background on the this stick all the time.

6. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    To me, just being able to use a streamer with this awesome peanut remote alone is worth $50. The rest is gravy. I ordered a second for my other tv. To each his own

cybergrimes likes this.
  7. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I hate it too. It is not better than anything. It is just something different.

8. Narkul

Narkul Active Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Keeping it for the remote mainly. The Tivo stuff can be stripped out for better performance. Nice little Android box that streams everything I need including my Steam games. It's not perfect, but it's superior to my Rokus

cybergrimes likes this.
  9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This was my main issue with the device; the UI is just a plain mess. Not ready for prime time.

foghorn2 likes this.
  10. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I can only compare it to a Roku television. To go from Prime to Netflix is a hassle on Roku. You have to hit home, then as many as 1 to 30 clicks strolling the interface for your next choice, click on that then a couple more for your show.

11. jimpmc

jimpmc Active Member

Oct 31, 2001
    The UI of what and compared to what other Android TV devices?

12. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    The TiVo Stream 4K (that is what this thread is about, isn't it?) I don't use android. It's a mess compared to  TV and Roku. I prefer simplicity, and this is NOT.

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Wow...that's strange. On a Roku device (I have both an Express and Ultra), all you do is go to Home (back on a Harmony remote), then select another app. Simple.

wbrightfl and Mikeguy like this.
  14. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Even faster, Roku remote has a Netflix, Hulu, Sling and Amazon button. 1 press and it opens.

Also the Roku channel has a lot more good shows for free vs Tivo free channels.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Corran Horn and wbrightfl like this.
  15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Even with TiVo+?!? :p;)

16. md wass

md wass New Member

May 17, 2020
    is there any way to just REBOOT this thing without unplugging it?
    turning the power off doesn't really do a hard reboot..

this thing is not what it is made out to be..trying to figure out if its worth keeping for any fixes down the road, but for now, its still a "beta box" IMO

17. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Settings>device preferences >about>restart

md wass likes this.
  18. md wass

md wass New Member

May 17, 2020
    thanks! I've had to format this thing twice and got tired of looking through all the settings for stuff!