I'm looking for a used tivo. What would be decent model?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Cheaptoad, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Cheaptoad

Cheaptoad New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I just can't spend $300 on New on atm. Any suggestions?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Lifetime Premiere two tuner would be the lowest item on my list.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Depends on what you want it for.
    1. OTA without streaming concerns = Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere
    2. Analog cable only without streaming concerns = Series 2, Series 3, TiVo HD, Premiere
    3. OTA & analog cable together without streaming concerns = Seires 3, TiVo HD, & Premiere
    4. Analog & digital cable together without streaming concerns = Premiere
    5. OTA & Digital cable together without streaming concerns = Premiere
    6. digital cable without streaming concerns = Premiere or Premiere 4
    7. OTA with streaming concerns = Roamio or Bolt
    8. Digital cable with streaming concerns = Roamio, Roamio Plus/Pro, or Bolt
    9. Digital Cable or OTA with UHD streaming concerns = Bolt
    The Premiere & Premiere 4 have the same streaming apps as the Roamio line and they do work but I think most people would find the responsiveness unacceptable. So I do not recommend the Premiere/Premiere 4 for people who want to use their DVR for streaming (Netflix, etc.).

Also the Series 3 & TiVo HD work with digital cable that uses MPEG 2 - however many cable companies are converting from MPEG 2 to h.264 and the Series 3 & TiVo HD will not work with that type of cable broadcast so I can not recommend them for digital cable anymore.

For used units I would also recommend only buying ones with a lifetime subscription. Special Note anything older than Premiere (Series 1,2, 3 class units) can not longer be subbed (and all TiVos require a subscription to be able to use them). So for the Series 1, 2, & 3 class units, if they do not have lifetime subscription already you can not use them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. Cheaptoad

Cheaptoad New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I'm really only looking for the basics. Record the shows I like. If I get more features then that, it's a plus. I'd love to keep it around $100.

I have digital cable and I have no plans on streaming Netflix, Youtube, etc...

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Then you must look for a Series 3 TiVo with a lifetime sub. (As already mentioned Series 3 without lifetime is useless for anything except parts.)
    The two choices are:
    Model 648xxx (S3) or Model 652xxx (TiVo HD). You might get close to $100 on those on eBay although closer to $150 is more likely, including shipping.

There's a fair chance you will have to replace the hard drive ($60 - $200) or the power supply ($20 to $100) on a Series three within a year or two. The price ranges depend partly on how much DIY you contribute.

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Go to eBay, lots of choice of various models. Maybe you only want to spend $100, but that's going to be an old unit with little drive space. For a newer unit you'll either have to pony up much more or pay a monthly subscription.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You don't mention who your cable provider is. That is important because Comcast is switching to MPEG4 which is not supported on the older Series 1-3 units.
    If you want new, and can afford to pony up for the monthly rental, Weaknees sells a Premiere 4 for about $110. But then you will be paying the $15 monthly rental for the duration.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Check Craigslist for lifetimed units.

Series 3 or Series 4

Most people on there have an overly optimistic view of what theirs is worth but you might get lucky.

9. colonelm

colonelm colonelm

Dec 27, 2015
    Alabama
    I have found that the series 4 TiVo's have weaker OTA tuners and that the series 3' are much stronger (more sensitive). Does anyone know if the Romeo's and /or Bolts are stronger or weaker than the series 4's?

10. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    In my experience, Roamio (series 5) has a better OTA tuner than Premiere (series 4) even with two more tuners.

11. Cheaptoad

Cheaptoad New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    II found a series 4, never used, for $40. No lifetime.

Does that sound good.

Btw, I don't have a land line.

Also, if I didn't get a tivo couldn't I just record shows to my computer?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would look for something with lifetime service unless you are OK with the monthly costs.

Scott

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    That does not sound good. True you pay only $40 today, but you also have to pay $15 every month forever.

You don't need a land line, only internet service.

Yes, you can just record to your computer. I did it for many years. Works very well. But is more complicated to set up, use and maintain.

Do you have cable TV or just an antenna?

14. Cheaptoad

Cheaptoad New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I have xfinity. But, I don't own it. I'm just renting this place.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OTA or cable? You can still get a new Roamio OTA for $50 if you don't mind a $15/mo service fee.

16. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Not sure how that would work then. Can you get a cable card? That would be required whether you got a Tivo or used a PC. To use a PC, you'd need to buy a HomeRun Prime tuner (about $80 on sale, probably less if buying used), and have a Windows 7 or Vista PC you can connect to a TV and plenty of space of recordings.

If you can't get a cable card, then you'll have to do the dreaded video capture method, either to computer or standalone HDD/DVD recorder.

Have you considered a streaming service like Sling TV, Hulu or Amazon?

17. Cheaptoad

Cheaptoad New Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Maybe I can ask the owner to get a dvr and I'll pay the monthly fee. That may be the easiest

18. brykasch

brykasch New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    I have a premiere, that I would be willing to part with for 30 w/ shipping. You would have to pay for monthly service ( has no lifetime) and cable card rental from your cable co. PM If your interested.