I'm just dumbfounded with my oled upgrade issues. Pls help!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Alvysyngr, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Acquired a lifetime oled TiVo which had a dying harddrive, since I had an identical unit I fired up winmfs, made a backup via windows 7, and applied the backup to a wd ears20 2tb and chose yes when it asked to use the other available space and supersize was put on. Booted up without wdidle but after clear all only showed 36 hrs hd recording space. I was told the 2 tb would not work in this unit so I ordered a 1.5 tb wd ears15 went about the identical process as before but had to use wdidle to get it to boot. It still says 36 hrs! What am I doing wrong???

2. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I read in another post to leave out the supersize step. I'll try again and report back

3. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    you MUST tell it to YES to the "limit to 1TB" with winMFS, many folks have been caught by that.

Last night I imaged a 1.5TB to 1.25TB/1.35TB and it does show a proper high amount, but I used an original virgin S3 TBK file

4. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    So I should have chosen 'no' when it wait it wanted to use more space on the drive

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's a confusing prompt.
    You MUST answer "YES" to that question, this isn't debatable, the answer must be YES.
    I'm still struggling with some issues, but I have 196hr listed, so I'm carrying on.

And you must start the process with a clean unexpanded Tivo 250GB image to begin..

6. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    My dialog box says

'You have extra capacity on your harddrive. Do you want to expand?'

Do I say yes or no to that? I've been saying Yes

7. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Dianebrat - thank you SO much for your help! Sending me the image and talking me through it was amazing :)

FYI - When I used winmfs in Windows 7 it hides a popup asking if you want to create a partition larger than 1tb - if you don't see this after saying yes to using more available space just Tab+ALT back and forth to winmfs and it will pop up.