I'm going to send my TiVo back

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by scgf, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 #1 of 78
    scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...

Advertisements

I've just about had it with the dire SD picture quality on my new TiVo. I have decided I am going to ask VM to replace it with a Samsung V+ box. The TiVo was installed a week ago, on the 26th Feb - I assume I am within my rights to cancel at this stage?

Anyone else feeling the same?

2. Mar 7, 2011 #2 of 78
    Steve5424

Steve5424 New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Glasgow
    No problems here SD looks perfectly fine for me.

I think some people are expecting too much from an SD broadcast or the settings on their TVs need adjusted.

3. Mar 7, 2011 #3 of 78
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    I can't compare with the V+ box, but the SD picture looks better than my previous SkyHD box SD picture quality?

4. Mar 7, 2011 #4 of 78
    Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    you've got a tech booked to look at this haven't you?

5. Mar 7, 2011 #5 of 78
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

Odd - haven't noticed any difference in PQ between my original V+ HD (Scientific Altlanta, still says TVDrive on the box) and TiVo...

I'd check what the Tivo is outputting - some TVs actually look better on 720p than 1080i !

6. Mar 7, 2011 #6 of 78
    cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yes. I believe you have 28 days in which you can cancel without penalty.

7. Mar 7, 2011 #7 of 78
    scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    I wonder why some people are saying they can see no difference between previous VM boxes and the TiVo yet others are saying they see a big difference? Perhaps some TVs are good enough to show the differences and others aren't?

What I am seeing now is SD pictures which look exactly like what my old Sky HD box produced so I am fairly confident what I am seeing is quite normal, it's just that the Samsung V+ box made SD look so much better.

8. Mar 7, 2011 #8 of 78
    qwiki

qwiki 8 R/C's and counting

Feb 28, 2002
    Maybe their previous STB was using a different input on the TV and that input had been modified, while the new input has not?

For me, coming from an S1 on scart to using the new Tivo on HDMI, I had to make considerable changes to the TV settings for the new input before it looked right. Most TV's from new, default to a 'vivid' mode which is too bright and colourful in my opinion.

9. Mar 7, 2011 #9 of 78
    jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    I would agree with that, my Samsung TV used to store the settings per connection and I had to dig around for guides on the Internet for hints on how to tweek the settings to get a good picture as out of the box Samsung's tend to have the worse settings and horrible pictures.

The Sharp I have now has hardly been changed from the default settings and the picture has been spot on from day one.

If you have bad SD pictures I would suggest looking on the net for any hints on changing some of the many settings in the TV. It's not as simple as just the brightness and contrast anymore :(

10. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    scgf - I think mikerr might have the solution there for you, assuming you have an HD set.

If I get my TiVo to output something lower than 1080i, it looks markedly worse. Make sure you're getting it to output 720 or 1080. Also make sure you're using HDMI not SCART - again, the quality is different. (YMMV due to TV differences).

11. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    Thanks for your help, guys. I am an old hand at setting up AV equipment. As I have said elsewhere, I always turn off as much digital processing as possible and ensure there is no over-sharpening. I set up the TV using a DVD called DVD Video Essentials so I know it is calibrated correctly. I have set the output of my TiVo to 1080i. I have three other HD sources - BluRay, Apple TV and a French satellite receiver for watching French HD channels. All these devices give me a nice picture whether showing SD or HD material, as did the Samsung V+ box.

I use a very high quality Octavo HDMI switch box to route all sources through to my plasma panel's single HDMI input so am not about to add all manner of digital processing to try and make the TiVo picture look good at the expense of my other three sources. To make any changes to my setup this is all I can do - add digital processing because currently there is none.

My plasma panel is a few years old now and is very discerning - I have seen a great many newer sets which display SD material very poorly. On these sets SD material has a plasticity which often masks detail. I doubt whether these sets could show the difference between good and not so good SD pictures.

No amount of academic argument is going to change what I see with my own eyes: Samsung V+ = very nice SD images, even on the lower bandwidth channels, TiVo = dire SD images on all SD channels, low bandwidth channels even worse.

I can't justify £150 + £3 a month for this.

12. ColinYounger

ColinYounger It wasn't me.

Aug 9, 2006
    Southsea,...
    I didn't know you were an AV pro - apologies for the egg sucking advice.

Call VM and get an engineer out. The beauty of 'renting' is that they will fix stuff.

13. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    It does sound broken then.. Remember the Tivo is upscaling anyway so no set is showing SD currently.

My set is DVE calibrated (plus I have a meter somewhere so I could get the black levels right but haven't done that in a while).. so whilst not professionally calibrated I doubt the picture could be considered 'poor' by normal standards and I don't find anything wrong with the Tivo SD at all.

14. Karnak

Karnak 'Local'

Jan 13, 2003
    Quite a different setup entirely for me compared to before. Bought my first shiny flat/HD TV especially for new TiVo. The new combination looks so much better that my old S1/CRT, even the SD channels.

I of course have no idea what I'm talking about in determining whether it's really good or not :)

15. °Keir°

°Keir° New Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Again SD is fine here,

Maybe take some photos to share with us if it's that bad.

16. Tavis75

Tavis75 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I thought the picture quality on the TiVo was actually a slight step up from my old V+HD, though it can be hard to make a fair comparison due to not having the boxes side by side and of course the vast differences in the quality from different channels.

I have the TiVo set to output 520p,720p and 1080i (if I remember correctly), with 520i and 1080p turned off (1080p is disabled anyway). My amp then upscales everything to 1080p and passes it to my projector, which is native 1080 panel.

Only thing that I've seen a problem with quality wise has been fast moving SD stuff on the on demand service (specifically "Lets Dance for Comic Relief" on catchup).

17. scgf

scgf New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Market...
    A VM technician is visiting this evening and if he says, as expected, that all is as it should be, I have an appointment booked for a swap - and I'll have a Samsung V+ box back again.

There are too many people complaining about the quality of SD for it to be an isolated case. We are human and have analog senses so I would expect there to be a range of views on this. For me the picture quality on SD is a step down from my previous box, and no amount of discussion is going to change that.

18. Digital Fanatic

Digital Fanatic Virgin Media Staff

Feb 16, 2011
    Let us know how you get on.

19. tdenson

tdenson New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Leeds
    It's strange how people's perception of PQ varies. I am probably the other end of the scale to scgf. I have a good 42" HD set (Sharp) and yet I very rarely ever watch anything in HD. I just forget the option is there. I don't think I've watched one program in HD in the 3 weeks I've had my new Tivo. As far as I am concerned the picture is fine and just from habit I tend to watch and record the SD channels. What however was far more important to me in wanting the new Tivo was the UI. Personally, I think the OP is mad - but each to his own :)

20. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I'm sure paying for an HD TV and an HD TV service then watching in SD would be considered "mad" by some!