"I'm Dying Up Here" (Showtime) Season One Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1 of 50
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

New comedy drama on Showtime. It's about the standup comedy scene in Los Angeles in the 1970s. From AVClub:
    Reviews were mixed, I thought it was good enough to keep watching. I can see why the reviews are not glowing, there are some shortcomings. First, the comedy they show us isn't very funny; shouldn't these budding comedians have some great stuff? I thought Melissa Leo was a little too over-the-top, full of platitudes and hoary old sayings every time she turned around. And was she channeling Helen Hunt?

And there was the usual "life on the line, character throws a Hail Mary" scene. When Cassie got on stage at the end, wasn't it predetermined she'd have a killer routine? I also could do without a suicide in the pilot. Although it was needed to set up the story, it just seems dark to open with it. Loved the two guys from back east, without a penny to their name. And what the heck was that scene with the priests and the black comedian?!?

Having said all that, it has some bright moments. They introduced a *lot* of characters, so as we get to know them, the story should turn for the better. I'll watch another one and see.

2. Jun 5, 2017 #2 of 50
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I had posted a "Pilot" thread but now I guess it's not necessary-here's what I posted-

I see we have some differences of opinion-

3. Jun 5, 2017 #3 of 50
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Ooops! I posted first thing to get a thread started, didn't even notice yours. Sorry 'bout that...

I'm not sure it's so much a diff of opinion. I liked it, and it's worth watching. It wasn't an immediate hit for me, but def worth the time to see if it grows.

The woman with the bat: That was his wife, he gave her crabs. He said he got them at the Y and learned it that day, but she found something (a 'scrip maybe?) that made her realize he's known for several days. And she's pregnant! You know those hormonal women--damn near homicidal! :D

4. Jun 5, 2017 #4 of 50
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Well, it's probably better to have a whole season thread anyway-

Thanks for the answer-I did re-record the show and FF and use CC but I appreciate it! :)

She found the receipt for the crab medicine-

Anyway-what the EFF was that thing with the black guy and the priest???? :eek::eek::eek:

5. Jun 8, 2017 #5 of 50
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan

Advertisements

I'm okay with the suicide (wow, that sounds horrible) since most comedians have a pretty dark personality. I think it may be meant to set the tone of the characters and the lifestyle (probably not the right word) they are living in.

I liked it. Did anyone else notice a huge difference in the way Goldie looked from episode one to episode two? I almost thought it was a different actress. She appeared way older to me.

6. Jun 8, 2017 #6 of 50
    goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    What year is this supposed to be taking place in?

Also, minor nitpick, the dad that came to visit sounded like he had more of a Chicago accent than a Detroit one.

7. Jun 8, 2017 #7 of 50
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
  8. Jun 8, 2017 #8 of 50
    goblue97

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
  9. Jun 9, 2017 #9 of 50
    Jeff_in_Bklyn

Jeff_in_Bklyn Active Member

Apr 26, 2003
  10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I'm planning to continue watching. The first episode was a weird experience for me, as my Pass picked up one one-hour slot that was called 'sneak peek', then another one-hour slot that was called S01-E01.

So, not knowing anything much going in, I watched the first one and it was actually the last 30 minutes of the episode. No wonder it felt confusing when I went to watch the second one and it was the entire one hour episode. D'oh!

Anyway, it's an interesting bunch.

11. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I want to like this show, but I struggled (three times) to get through the first episode. So far I only like Al Madrigal's performance. This show is too moody and depressing. I know Melissa Leo is getting good reviews, but I do not find her dialogue to be at all believable. She sounds like an acting student emoting her lines of script.

Despite these first impressions of the show, I am going to give it a shot. The subject matter appeals to me, and I like Jim Carrey, so I hope it gets much better over time.

12. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Just watched ep 2 - nice to see "Wolfman Jack"-brought back some fond memories!

Ugh-the guy (bad with names, sorry) didn't get the Midnight Special. He just can't help himself!

LOVED the guys being on "Let's Make a Deal" and being overjoyed at winning so much Rice-A-Roni! :D

So Goldie's daughter took off, and she has surrogate children-

RJ Cyler's character has a good heart. He may not make it! :oops:

13. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Anyone still watching? I'm enjoying this. The characters have developed well, and the story is interesting.

Last night was a strong episode. The Vietnam vet, Sparky :(, the deli, and geez, the guy at the end, on Carson.

BTW, is this the first time we've heard what Ralph does? When I first saw his "pad", I wondered how he afforded it. Then they said he's a writer for Sonny & Cher. "Oh, I get it now" "No you aren't"

14. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Yes, still watching-and enjoying.

I like how Goldie is fighting for women comedians. We will see how that goes.

And yes-the PTSD with the Vietnam vet-heartbreaking. :oops:

And I know the guys were high and drunk, but peeing on the dog's grave? That was low. But at least the dad is leaving-so that's something (too soon?)

Hey, Goofus-where's Gallant? :D:D:D

15. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    haha i think you and I are having differing tastes this week
    - I think this show is great - however, I thought this week's episode was the weakest of the season. The Vietnam Vet came out of nowhere and then at the end he went back to nowhere - it was a bad tangent and his outburst during his friend's set was cringe-worthy in it's unbelievability. Likewise - really? A comic works his entire life for his big break and then he is going to shoot up heroin 10 minutes before he goes on Carson, IN Carson's dressing room. That had me rolling my eyes at the ridiculousness of it.
    That said, I enjoyed the rest with the main ensemble and hope they stick to them and not continue to bring in minor characters for an episode here and there.

16. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Re: the comic shooting up in the dressing room before Carson-did we see anything that led us to believe he was a junkie? That was a little far-fetched for me too.

And I wanted also to say that RJ Cyler's character is really smart-he could do something else besides comedy-but I guess once you get the "bug," you get the "bug..."

17. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    He did say that he did a lot of drugs during his hiatus.

18. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Oh, thank you. I must have missed that.

19. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I'm still watching but the critical commentary has been less than complimentary, so I wonder how long it will last. It saddens me because I like it, but I do understand their criticisms (writing isn't that tight, characters aren't as developed as the could be, etc.) For instance, the guy who returned after doing the Playboy Club circuit and then OD's after he tells everyone that he -- unlike other comics -- kicked the habit and got his st** straightened out. It should have been a killer scene to see him ODed in the dressing room. But, we'd barely gotten to know him, so that scene just felt like a repetitive echo of the first episode.

That being said, there are characters that are growing very dear to me and I'm enjoying watching where they're going. The buddies living in a closet, the female comic, Goldie, the kid working for Goldie and now at the strip club, all marvelous characters that I want to see more of. I do need a little help with their names!

I don't get the Sonny & Cher part ... "no you aren't?" please help. :D

tta

20. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I agree about the characters you referenced and I too am bad with names-but they are all lovable, IMO, or at least the actors make you root for them - for example, I too was jumping up and down when "Goofus and Gallant" won that rice-a-roni because I knew that they needed food! So happy for them!

The Sonny and Cher thing-IIRC, Cher made a joke and Sonny didn't laugh so she started to explain it and Sonny said, "No, I get it..." and Cher said, "No, not tonight you aren't" or something to that effect. This show must have been after their divorce. That show used to crack me up when I was a kid.