I'm currently in the USA. Should I get a peanut / qwerty remote?

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by royfox, Feb 11, 2011.

1. royfox

royfox New Member

Apr 5, 2004

Advertisements

What do you think the chances of the peanut qwerty remote working with the vmtivo?

Im in the states for another 2/3 days. Should I grab one to try????

2. louis wu

louis wu New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I could be wrong but I think the Qwerty remote is bluetooth isn't it? If so as far as I know the VM tivo doesn't have that capability. I'm assuming that the premiere does.
    If I'm wrong can you bring me back one too? :D

3. frobozz

frobozz New Member

May 2, 2002
    Burnley
    The qwerty remote required a usb bluetooth adaptor for full functionality (which comes supplied with it, afaik), so the ports being enabled is the minimum requirement. Beyond that I've no idea.

Tivo web site says it works with all Premiere boxes although Premiere boxes supplied directly from RCN (which has similar additional features to the vTivo) need a software update but a RCN forum says it works fine as it is.

4. M_at

M_at New Member

Dec 10, 2000
    UK
    And don't forget that the UK Virgin Media powered by TiVo box is not a premiere box.

It's a custom manufactured box by Cisco specifically for Virgin which just happens to run TiVo's middleware.

The remote control codes used are Virgin's.

5. louis wu

louis wu New Member

Dec 12, 2010

Advertisements

I didn't know that, I always assumed the Premiere had bluetooth built in.

This is true.

6. frobozz

frobozz New Member

May 2, 2002
    Burnley
    From an Amazon.com review:

"Installation couldn't be easier. Plug the Bluetooth receiver (supplied in the box) into one of the USB plugs in the back of your TiVO..."

http://www.amazon.com/TiVoSlide-C00240-Keyboard-Remote-Control/dp/B003YKFKR6

True for the IR codes but bluetooth codes would use a different protocol and as VM don't currently have any bluetooth remotes, I'd hope they would use Tivo codes. I don't know anything much about this though so could be writing complete b***s.

7. frobozz

frobozz New Member

May 2, 2002
    Burnley
    p.s. £58 to import one via the Amazon link in previous post (including import tax AFAICT)

8. dwarfofpoison

dwarfofpoison dwarfofpoison

Feb 5, 2011
    London
    I'd hang on to your money it's extremely doubtful the remote will work.

The remote is definitely Bluetooth and the USB ports on the Virgin TiVo aren't enabled yet.

S1 owners have already stated the S1 peanut doesn't work with the Virgin TiVo so the chances that even if a firmware update enabled the USB ports it's a very, very slim chance the US remote would work.

Virgin say they have plans but even with a glimmer of hope I can't invisage the near future to be anything soon

9. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    "Apparently" we're all getting one for free:

[​IMG]

10. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    You forgot to provide a link to the source for the quote, mike :) (Not that I think you'd make anything up!)

11. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
  12. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...

I'll believe it when it happens though :p

(If it doesn't, I've got one here anyway 'cos someone bought me one earlier this year ;))