I'm buying a used Stream from eBay. Anything I need to ask the seller to do?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by thompsr2, Jan 13, 2019.

1. thompsr2

thompsr2 Member

Oct 21, 2015
    I'm not sure if the Stream needs to be deactivated or anything like that before I try to add it to my setup. Anyone with experience with this situation?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I bought mine on eBay last year. All I did was activate it online. It works fine. It has a Gb Ethernet.

stream.png

See picture.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  3. NeverMissIt

NeverMissIt New Member

Jan 23, 2019
    Like JoeKustra, all i had to was activate it online. It works fine

4. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I know this is an old thread, but for anyone buying a Stream on Ebay, be careful. The one I bought on Ebay could not be activated because it was the property of a cable company. I called Tivo and there was nothing they could do. Luckily I was able to send it back and get a full refund from the seller.

mdavej and krkaufman like this.
  5. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Ditto. I bought several Stream boat anchors that turned out to be cable company property, thus impossible to activate. Always get the number and confirm with Tivo before you buy. Lucky for me, sellers in question refunded me in each case.

6. SVTarHeel

SVTarHeel Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Winston-Sale...
    I have the opposite situation. I just bought a lifetime Premiere and they threw in a Stream. I transferred both to my account. Doing that reminded me that I have another Stream that I got with a secondhand TiVo - it’s also on my account. I’ve never used the first one I got, much less this 2nd one.

In poking around the forum, I see several posts about issues with being unable to update the software and the resulting connection issues. Before I try to rehome these, what can I do to test them or otherwise put them through their paces?

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    See: New to me Stream Setup Issue

Ask the seller for the software version installed. The above thread has the address for access to the Stream's system info. Just change the IP address.

8. FDR1984

FDR1984 New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    I bought a used unit too and rolled the dice. It's 5 years later and still working great. Some friends laugh at me for a having a TiVo but it's great.