I'm becoming disgruntled with TiVo and quality

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sriggins, Jan 15, 2009.

1. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    I love TiVo. I had a series 1. It was slick. Small menus, easy to use, fast, it just worked. Someone said today about Apple products, "they are successful because they work."

Lately, TiVo has been in a downturn, if you ask me. I've seen more and more ads showing up. I've seen more and more bugs, like the one that deleted my entire todo list, causing me to miss shows. Or the Netflix bugs that cause me to need to reboot my S3.

Today I get an email asking me to check out the new TiVo HD search. So I do. Ok it's a beta, I get it, I write software, so let's see the new glory of HD. Finally, HD I thought to myself.

30 seconds later, black screen. Nothing. I press the TiVo button, back to the menu. Try again. This time, 30 seconds or so later, the blue search screen comes up. Looks nice, but there is a big blank spot at the top. Not very well designed for using all of my HD screen real estate, but ok, whatever.

I press down, nothing. I press right and left and up, nothing. Crud, this stinks, they can't even handle cursor movement?

30 seconds later, BLAM the cursor starts jumping around and THEN a DOMINOES ad shows up in the top right corner, just the same height as that goofy blank bar at the top!

I start to look for stuff and notice it is making wishlists, etc. I like the coloring. I select a show, 10 seconds later, it finally selects and shows some poster of the movie.

I press down, nothing, then about 10 seconds later it moves.

ugh.

You know, if I wanted to look at ads, I sure wouldn't have gotten a TiVo. I could just watch live TV. I love my TiVo but if this nonsense keeps up, as soon as network content moves online, there will be no need for a TiVo. I can watch the network ads, or stare at an ugly pizza ad in the menu, or in the top right, or what's next, in the guide, or permanently laid on top of the video like the damned networks do...........

Disappointed...

2. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    :D:D:D I love how your complaint about ads was replied to with an ad!

If you browse the four forums at the top of the list you will see a trend of many that are unhappy with TiVo, far more than in the past (by percentage). One commenter even said "I bet you are the same person posting all of these complaints because you are disgruntled" because he couldn't believe the large increase.

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I'm still extremely gruntled.

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    You are the first one to say an ad showed up. That is not normal behavior at all for TiVo search, hmmmm...........
    I call the troll is back

5. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    What part of "Beta" did you not understand? If TiVo thought that it was ready for prime time, it wouldn't be labeled "Beta" and it wouldn't be tucked away in the "Applications Menu". But it is, and they do still have some wrinkles to iron out.

I personally like that TiVo is allowing users to test drive the Beta, while still allowing us to use the "old school" search.

6. Dancar

Dancar Member

Oct 8, 2001
    Seattle,...
    You signed up for a beta test and found bugs???? Who would have anticipated that?

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    there was no signup - you can either go the HME menu and use it or completely ignore it. HME is a great way for TiVo to involve customer that want to be involved and at the same time not have the overhead of managing a BETA site with more limited visibility. HEck you can go to the forum here and remark away without even having to use the app.

8. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Hi! I am not a troll, look at my posting history :) I've been helping people with their NIMs (which rock!) and initially loved the Netflix work until it started to show how broken it is.

No troll though; TiVo needs to hear the tough love, and I know they read these forums. If we don't speak up, it may get even worse.

9. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    I didn't sign up for beta.

10. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    " Ok it's a beta, I get it, I write software..."

You could read the post first :) The point was to give feedback (which I sent to them as well) that ads and loading posters, etc better not be a final reason for the utter slowness of this system. They are losing the beauty of the earlier tivos in that they just worked, they responded when you pressed a button, etc.

Beta is usually too late to make design decisions that change how things work, they are just ironing out bugs (otherwise it is not a true beta, but more of an alpha) but they really really need to de-couple the loading of internet based content from the response loop, otherwise people are going to get very frustrated very quickly.

By loading urls, they need to handle the network going down in the middle of a load, etc with no user impact. This isn't easy, but someone using a tivo in the bedroom shouldn't be affected by comcast quality :)

Regardless, I just saw the url for feedback here, so I'll join that discussion.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting at a dead screen while it's doing who-knows-what heh

11. TolloNodre

TolloNodre En Fuego

Nov 3, 2007

I've definitely noticed a trend where those that complain the loudest (not saying they're not legitimate complaints - just commenting on the passion behind them) definitely comes from those that are long term TiVo users.

I think those of us that came later to the game (say, starting with the S3) just don't have 'the glory days' to look back on.

As a consequence, we just compare what we have 'now' with what else is available 'now' to suit our needs - and in most areas the TiVo is far superior to other options. I've used Motorola, Dish Network, DirecTV, and Myth all within the last year (and I've played but not relied on a Media Center box) - to my experience only the Dish 722 comes close to the TiVo. But the 722 is no TiVo....

12. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    That is a very dangerous message to send to a company however. As long as you're better than the piles of muck that are your competition, you are good enough.

TiVo went above and beyond when they invented the DVR. Now they're unable to find financial models that work and are succumbing to ads.

I dare them to think better.

And while they're at it, beat NBC with a stick so jay leon reruns are not considered first runs :)

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm guessing you never upgraded the hard drive on your series 1? It's *slow as dirt* to get to Now Playing on a S1 with upgraded hard drive.

I will agree with you that the UI is much slicker, IMHO. A lot of the changes that made Now Playing come up faster on a S3 unfortunately make the UI less slick.. it's a tradeoff, and unfortunately one I live with if that's really the only way it can be made faster. (Specifically, now you WATCH Now Playing drawing and populating with items.. Whereas on a S1, while you have to WAIT for it to populate, it draws essentially instantly. Slow and elegant vs quick & flickery.. Unfortunately in this case the latter is less stress inducing.)

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep, looks like the wrong call :) Though you are still the only one to see the ad on TiVo Search at this point.

15. Martin Tupper

Martin Tupper Pontiff Emeritus

Dec 18, 2003
    I've seen the Domino's "click here to order pizza" ad up at the top, interspersed among the TV shows. But I've never seen it there by itself.