I'm back with Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bonscott87, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000

Advertisements

Hello all. Been a very long time since I've posted on this forum, surprised I even remembered my password. LOL Just got a Tivo Bolt 1TB and love it.

Got my first Tivo way back in 2000. I believe it was the Sony unit, probably the first of the Series 2. Over the years had several DirecTivo's and such. When DirecTV had their new platform and Tivo was out I had those so I'd guess it's been at least 10 years since I had a Tivo.

Eventually cut the cord 6 years ago now although full disclosure I do have Charter TV right now as it was basically free for switching to them for Internet so I took it but will cut it again after that year is up. I only use Charter for a couple cable shows we watch and for when you just want to veg out to Love it or List it. :D

I'm a WMC refugee. The guide data switch to Rovi was terrible, the guide data is often wrong or messed up and Microsoft killed WMC as it is and no longer supports it. Constant HDMI handshaking problem caused me to look at other options. Charter DVR is *terrible*. I mean horrible. My first Tivo over 15 years ago was better. :eek: I looked into other media centers I could run and didn't like the fact I'd have to tweek it all the time. Looked at Channelmaster and I like what they have, but seems a bit soft on support and who knows if they'll keep supporting it or abandon it.

The release of the Bolt brought me back in the fold. I was looking to get a Roku but the Bolt having it all got me. I need the OTA DVR functionality anyway and I love how Netflix and Amazon Prime are all build in, especially with the One Pass. The Bolt pretty much replaces all our needs.

My hope is a Sling TV app by the end of the year. If Tivo gets that I wouldn't need a Roku at all.

Anyway, glad to be back!

2. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Seems a lot of us are WMC refugees. Microsoft did Tivo a favor by deciding that they couldn't make any money on something they were giving away.

3. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    I hear you. I still prefer WMC over Tivo's UI (barely). I think Microsoft really missed out on a huge thing. I guess they are kinda bringing it back in the XBox but if I have to spend the money on an Xbox that I don't need or want otherwise, I might as well get a Tivo which is exactly what I need plus all the streaming built in. So that's what I did. :up:

4. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I was on WMC excursion for a few years as well and came back 18 months ago.

WMC's UI had some good attributes that Tivo should copy. The thumbnails were great. 1-touch recording from the guide is a no-brainer. And some of the recording options were more easily accessible if I remember right. ...

But the Tivo UI has much that MS shoulda copied as well.

5. snedecor

snedecor Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Angleton, TX

Advertisements

Still have WMC in several rooms, Roamio is on order, Mini is on order, going to pick up the cablecard today.

Microsoft abandoning WMC was the nail in the coffin for me. WAF was wavering, satellite box connection problems were annoying, Rovi guide snafu was not fun, etc.

WMC was way ahead of its time, with 2x play with non-chipmunk sound, multiple 30 sec. skips using the number pad (7-"skip", and you're back to the show!), changeable live TV buffer length, easy peasy show sharing to any PC, non-encrypted files, add-in model let you put in additional functionality, add recording size by adding ANY disc, etc.

WMC is dead, long live TiVo.

6. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    # then skip was good. Forgot about that.