I'm back with a transferred TiVo!

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DevilDogs, Mar 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
    Hi folks, it's been a while since I've been here, since TiVo canceled my lifetime subscription on my S1. But today, I was given a TCD746500! I haven't plugged it in yet, but I'm guessing I'll need to reset it and start fresh. Is there anything I need to be aware of? I saw some posts where people said that their TiVo was stuck after clearing and restarting, so I thought I'd check before I proceed. I've already called TiVo, and it is in my account with lifetime subscription. Thanks, and it's good to be back!

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If it's been 'offline' for a long time, there's a good possibility it will have trouble switching from pre-Rovi to post-Rovi.

Boot it up and do multiple Service Connections, probably over several days, before doing any resets. Check to see if it gets any OS Updates.

What OS Version is currently on it?

There's been a recent issue with Premiere's boot-looping when performing a Clear Program Information and To-Do List action. Probably (Read: Definitely!) avoid doing that.

Report back!

-KP

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    DevilDogs likes this.
  3. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
    I haven't powered it on yet. And TiVo.com doesn't say much. I had to google just to find the series # based on the model! tivopedia.com says it is "TiVo Premiere Series4", so I thought I'd start looking here for posts related to that series.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    When was the last time it made a Service Connection?

-KP

5. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
    I would guess several months. I just got it today, but the person that gave it to me said they have a Roamio now. It sounded like he's had it for a while. I'll probably plug it in tonight or tomorrow.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If it is clear, it will powered up to a guided setup. When asked to select a country, hit the Info button. That will display the current software. If you are lucky, it will be 20.7.3 or higher, if not …

7. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
    It was cleared, and did come up to the guided setup. It's odd, it can't pull in the same channels with the same antenna as my TV could. I'm going to try to reposition the antenna, see if it helps.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    TiVo S4 Premiere have inferior OTA tuner performance than S3 648 and S3 THD. The Roamio OTA performance is better than Premiere's, but still worse than either of the S3 TiVo's. And I've heard the Bolts aren't any better. I have not heard how well or bad the TiVo Edge S7, the latest TiVo's perform on OTA. Often height can be the key to getting better reception to an acceptable performance. The signals will never come in as strong as on the S3's, but at least they should be stable--enough. Also, TV tuners often perform the best, with virtually all other devices's with OTA tuners perfomig below the TV's. I hope you can get better reception with whatever changes you make.