I'm back. Funny how things come full circle.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by drober30, Feb 21, 2016.

1. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I just cancelled my subscription to DirecTV after 22 years!

History...

I purchased the first TiVo ever released. I was always an early adopter of technology.

I was part of the beta program for the first dual tuner TiVo.

I had TiVo DirecTV boxes before DirecTV ended its relationship with TiVo (only to start it up again years later)

I feel so liberated cutting the cord, not paying the ridiculous fees and increasing prices of these Pay TV providers. I'm really not a full cord cutter as I pay for Netflix and HBO now but at this point in time I think the cost/value is there.

Future...

I started my research for OTA DVRs and discovered the TiVo Roamio which sounds very exciting! Of course, I would like to get a lifetime subscription like those I read about offered on Amazon for $299. I will have to wait and see if those deals reappear.

I'm very excited to be part of the TiVo community again. If anyone has helpful advice on where to get my best deal. setup tricks with Roamio and Minis or other advice I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Well the Bolt does OTA and has lately been available at Frys in the low $200 range which includes a free year of service. Right now lifetime would add $400 to that if you call in and ask for it.

Refurb mini's are often priced well under $100 at Woot and sometimes Amazon.

3. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I dropped Directv after 17 years and have never looked back.

Only advice I have is to turn off your phone as Directv will be calling you non-stop for the next few months in an effort to try and get you back. (And offer some crazy deals too)

4. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    If you purchased Lifetime on that First tivo ever released, as long as it was prior to Jan 21, 2000 - it would be "grandfathered" and as a result, could be transferred to a new Bolt or Roamio, if the new unit is not purchased directly from TiVo (since they now only sell units with subscription plans).

5. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I think I would enjoy a few phone calls letting them know their brand is dying and they are running it into the ground with greed! lol

6. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I did have lifetimes on my first boxes but sold them to family and friends, which still use TiVo to this day with the lifetime subs.... darn!

7. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    Bolt? I thought the other DVRs required a cable or satellite subscription for the OTA antenna to be used too?

8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Bolt has one RF input which can be used for either cable or OTA but not both.

9. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I called and spoke with TiVo and they offered me $700 for Bolt w lifetime...ouch!

I will keep my eye out for deals on this as this is the way I would like to go. I'm not desperate to record TV right now, very happy with binge watching Netflix and HBO but...

Big thanks to everyone for steering me in the right direction!!!

10. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Correct, and the Bolt would give you the cable option if you ever decided to try that out in the future.

11. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    Well, I'm not much for waiting for things so ran up to Best Buy and bought the 1TB Bolt and TiVo mini.

I will buy the lifetime and be all set! No monthly bills or monthly fees!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  12. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Smart move...Congrats on your return and new purchase. Less than five hours from initial post to purchase. Good work.:up:

13. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    You may want to wait a year on buying lifetime. You get the first year free.

14. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    I thought about that and sometimes they have specials but back in the day it was always a question if they would do away with lifetimes (not looking that way and smart move on TiVo's part) so now I just have to decide if I could get a better deal by waiting?

Supposedly the $400 lifetime is a deal so if thats true, waiting a year gains me nothing. If it goes on sale, then waiting would have paid off.

I would not make the lifetime purchase for at least a month from now anyway so I keep my ear to the ground for any special offers.

15. drober30

drober30 Member

Apr 23, 2004
    Michigan
    Pretty funny! I'm just so happy (liberated) to have kicked DirecTV to the curb!

16. Eddie501

Eddie501 Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Oh, you will have plenty of opportunity trust me! I dropped them exactly one year ago & still get weekly offers to come back. Now the mail is disguised so it looks like it's coming from an individual though. They are like a psycho ex-girlfriend who won't take no for an answer.

17. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    It is not disguised. You are getting mail from people who get a finders fee if they get you back. You know, individuals.

18. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    One thing to keep in mind with yearly vs. lifetime on the Bolt.

First off Lifetime is $600 normal price. Not sure how you can get it for $400, maybe as a long term Tivo customer perk or something.

But the yearly ($150 after the first year) also comes with the replacement plan. So if it dies you'll get a replacement for $50 or so. With lifetime there is no such plan so if it dies you're on the hook. Just something to think about.

For me personally I also made the assessment that by buying lifetime it will take the unit 5 years to "pay off" after which it's all gravy. The thing for me is that stuff is changing so fast in the industry in terms of streaming and the new OTA broadcast standard that in 5 years I'm sure I'll be on to a newer technology (Tivo or otherwise) so yearly felt better for me. But we all need to make the choice one way or another.

Oh, and welcome back!

19. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The $400 comes from the fact that TiVo is running a "special" on lifetime/all in service for the Bolt at $400 right now. The offer appears to be good through 4/18, (according to Weaknees site ad) and you have to call TiVo to get it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  20. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Yep except, for those keeping score at home, it actually only takes 4 years to "pay off" your $600 lifetime compared to yearly because you pay yearly in advance. So right at the 4 year mark you're out the same amt of money.

IF lifetime is $400 then, at the start of year 3, you will have shelled out $50 more for yearly than lifetime.