I'm Ba-a-a-ack!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TooMuchTime, Jun 6, 2010.

1. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008

Advertisements

After a year's worth of misery with AT&T Uverse, I'm going back to Comcast and TiVo. First, my Uverse rant.

Uverse was cheap, but you really do get what you pay for. I was able to record 2HD and 2SD shows at once, but that was about it. I'm going with two separate TiVo boxes (Premier and Series 3 HD) so I'll be able to record 4HD programs at once!

Also, because of Uverse, I lost all of my recorded content 4 times in the last year. My third attempt to create a video library started in January. Near the end of May, the Uverse box started acting up and I lost everything. It's been acting up since and have lost more data just recently. Even my wife told me to go back to Comcast and TiVo, so you know it must be really bad! Of course, none of this would have happened had Uverse just let me save backup copies to my PC. Since the Uverse box is a Microsoft product, it is governed by some bizarre belief in digital rights management. So, no backup copies. Which is kind of strange since for the last 30 years, Microsoft has always been on about making backups of your data. Go figure.

Now we're going back to a real DVR, with real features and video library ability. Uverse was the second biggest mistake of my life. I won't make the same mistake again.

2. bevotivo

bevotivo New Member

Mar 21, 2005
    After having Tivo for eight years, I upgraded to TimeWarner HD and got the TW dvr, giving up on my two S2's.

After two weeks on the TW dvr, I bought a Tivo HD XL. Heaven help me, that TW dvr sucked.

Here's hoping that I can obtain the correct Tivo/cablecard/tuneradaptor to keep me going.

3. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Interesting you say U-verse was cheaper. I priced out a package similar to what I'm getting with cable (phone, internet, TV) and it was quite a bit more expensive. Not that I'm thinking of ditching my TiVo for U-verse, I just wanted to check the rates.

Right now, I'm prefectly happy with my TiVo and cable, very reliable. Unfortunately, SDV is supposed to be coming to my area by the end of the year. Not looking forward to the trouble I might be getting into with a tuning adapter. TiVo is great, but if it's not reliable, the features and ease of use are not worth much.

Sorry to hear U-verse is so horrible. It might have been a good alternative for me if the DVR was any good and the prices were more competetive.

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I gotta ask. What was the worst one?

5. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008

Advertisements

Well, see. There was this girl, about 35 years ago, and...

6. TooMuchTime

TooMuchTime New Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I should have been more clear. Uverse was cheaper that what I was doing at the time; standard phone, AT&T DSL, Comcast cable and TiVo. When I put it all together, Uverse came out to be cheaper. All of the savings was in the change from the standard phone to VOIP. Standard phone is a gov't regulated utility. If I wanted something on my second phone line I had to get it on my primary line first. So my phone bill was about $150. VOIP dropped that to about $50. No gov't regulation.

The horrible-ness of Uverse, for me anyway, is not having the ability to save your recordings to a PC. Some moron on the Uverse forum tried to tell me that I should go get a VHS machine and record everything on SLP. He told me to watch "Buried Alive" about the hoarders that have to hang on to everything. The imbicle still doesn't understand what a video library is.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: Uverse is okay but it just isn't TiVo!

7. CraigHB

CraigHB __________

Dec 24, 2003
    Reno, NV
    Oh, okay, thanks for clearing that up.

Yea, I'm saving a good chunk of change compared to when I had DSL, AT&T plain ol' telephone service, and cable TV. My phone is half as much with my cable bundle. My internet connection is really fast and regularly scores 30/2 Mb when I speed test it. The top speed tier for U-verse is half as fast and twice as much. So basically, U-verse would cost almost as much as what I was paying before and the connection would be slower.

I don't transfer shows to PC, but the DVR is a primary criteria for me. Reliability is really important. I could probably live with something else if it's reliable, but my wife really loves the TiVo. I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it if I had to go with something different, even if it worked reasonably well.