I'm all in. Adieu, DirecTV...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ScottE22, Mar 18, 2012.

1. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...

Advertisements

Just hung up with DirecTV. This is the first time I've canceled a service that I've overall been very pleased with.

I'm going "all in" with the cord-cutting now that I have two Premieres, two Rokus, and an AppleTV. Both Tivos are "lifetimed" (a cost that will be recovered by year's end) so our monthly expense will be down from $100 to about $16 with Hulu Plus and Netflix.

I'm truly questioning Hulu, though. Most of the stuff we watch is network TV anyway which which we can get OTA. And the stuff we watch that isn't network is available on Netflix or via season passes from iTunes. You could buy a load of season passes every year and not spend close to what you'd spend on DTV.

The retention offer was to drop us to the "Family Plan" for $30/month with $10 off for six months. Of course, this doesn't address my other concern which is wanting to add TV in a guest room in the basement and my home media room where I've never had a box because I don't watch regular TV down there enough to justify it -- it's primarily for movies. They offered me another HD receiver for free, but that's still yet another $6 charge for each additional TV.

Anyway, I'm excited and nervous now that my safety net of "we can always just reconnect the boxes" is officially gone. I just don't see us as a family watching TV that way anymore. Although, if we change our minds, I'd go back to DirecTV in a heartbeat.

2. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I've been gone from Directv since 2006 now. I'm using OTA and Netflix. Haven't missed D at all.

3. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Do you also use Hulu? I'm not sure I'm seeing the value.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Hulu+ compliments the other streaming services. I personally don't use it anywhere near as much as Netflix, but I do use it for a few hours a month. But I could easily get by without Hulu+. But at only $8 a month, just watching a few shows each month makes it worth it. Although with Netflix, I've got my streaming costs down to 7 cents a title over the last four weeks. I've used it way too much lately.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas

Advertisements

I do not use Hulu Plus at all. I can't see paying the monthly fees and watching the commercials.

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I dropped DirecTV after 12 years and I am getting by just fine without any monthly TV bill. I do rent Vudu and Amazon VoD but spend less than $10/month total on both, almost all rentals are the 99 cent variety. I couldn't even make a case DirecTV was too expensive given the cost to provide the service, only that I didn't want to pay it any longer.

I will consider Hulu Plus at some point and already know I like Amazon Prime, I used it for a month for free and so did my girlfriend. I will likely go with a Netflix free trial if I qualify to check that out as well but so far, I have more to watch recorded or bookmarked than I can make time for.

7. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    I left DTV for a completely different reason- we moved to a neighborhood with cable, phone and Internet included in the monthly HOA. I really liked DTV but also love my Tivo, so "c'est la vie".

I would likely be a cord cutter if I was not in the situation I am today. However, I would suggest you add ESPN3 to your mix if your Internet provider is hooked up with them. I could not live without the college football I get from ESPN.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have been OTA only for several years (used to be with Dish). I don't even sub to Netflix or rent much. Tried Hulu+ for the free month and didn't see the need for it. I do have a tuner-less HTPC attached to my receiver & stream some stuff like The daily show, Colbert Nation, and a few SyFy shows from the free version of Hulu (only 480P :().

At this moment in time I am pretty happy with not paying directly for any content. But I also have a Logitech revue/Google TV, that I don't think much of but I can get Amazon Prime streaming with it and I would have access to anything that is HD (versus only SD available through the HTPC) and may try a free month of that at the end of this years OTA season. I haven't used Netflix's free trial either so I could really end up with 2 months of no cost stream this summer if I really need more content. Plus of course I have a few Red boxes close by and there always are Amazon rentals available.

Good Luck,

9. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    hulu+ is a life saver for us, add playon and you can stream the shows that aren't allowed in plain Hulu+

Commercials really do not bother me at all, usually a minute or less. Now if they were like the 5-8 minute break we get on network TV that would be another story.

10. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    I'm going to check this out... Thanks!

11. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    if you buy their lifetime sub (~80) you can get a free Roku, another fine addition to the cut the cord family.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Right now if you sign up for a Lifetime PlayON license ($80) you can get a free Roku LT.
    I've been using the free PLayON for a couple of years now. I don't use it very much, but I' thinking about getting the lifetime license because of the free Roku. I was thinking about getting a Roku LT to keep at my girlfriends anyway and it's normally $50. So it works out to be a good deal in the long term.

13. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Alas. Windows only... It's a shame, too, because that looks like the cable-killer...

14. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I rarely watch commercials when using TiVo with OTA but I often do when I watch internet TV because I can't skip it and I don't seem to mind.

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Can someone tell me if you get access to anything with PlayOn that you wouldn't already have access to with a HTPC?

Thanks,

16. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I would if I knew what you get with a HTPC. But if I had to guess no.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What I mean is does PlayOn provide access to any content you can not access with a normal computer and web browser.

18. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    I don't believe so.

19. Aero 1

Aero 1 Active Member

Aug 8, 2007
    no, but it does aggregate content into channels for easy access. third party channels are also available that people make which makes it better http://www.playonscripts.com/

their new roku channel is pretty good and it works well.

20. ScottE22

ScottE22 How YOU doin'?

Sep 19, 2003
    Fort...
    Two questions based on your sig:

1. How do you watch ESPN 3? Is there a Roku channel I'm missing?
    2. How do you get 6 months of Hulu Plus for free?

We should really have a thread (or threads) to share our cord-cutting setups. I spent a while digging up information and still like to know how I could be doing it better. What can I say? I'm a tinkerer...