Im a TIVO Dummy!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ImaPappy, Dec 28, 2020.

1. ImaPappy

ImaPappy New Member

Dec 28, 2020

Advertisements

Hi All ... Sorry if this just another redundant post but I am try to investigate cutting the Xfinity cord and I have found many options for getting a myriad of channels, sports, movies etc for a fraction of the cost of what I am paying for cable tv. The problem is most do not support recording nor pre-recording of channels which my wife and I use alot. It has been suggested that TIVO in combination with one of these services may be the answer but I do not know anything about TIVO.

What is TIVO and how does it work?

What is a reasonable TIVO device and what do they cost?

What service is recommended to use with a TIVO recorder?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Happy Holidays to All.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You're mostly either going to need an Edge, they're on sale for a short period of time, or an older model like a Bolt or Roamio.

You could probably find a used Roamio with LifeTime for ~$250 if you look around.

TiVo is a DVR (Digital Video Recorder). Similar, only lots better, to what most Cable Companies offer.

Digital video recorder - Wikipedia

Cable Television using a CableCard to decode the Encrypted Signals (QAM).

-KP

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    You need to begin by capturing how you and your wife watch television. When I decided to look into alternatives to Comcast, we started by simply logging what we watched, whether we time shifted the programming, and whether we used 'trick play' as we watched.

Once you have this information, you can figure out where else you can get your favorite shows in a way that lets you enjoy them they way you are used to.

The TiVo is a great DVR and can capture, time shift, and trick play broadcast television -- so are the Amazon Recast, Tablo TV DVR, and the Sling TV DVR.. PlayON/PlayLater is a great DVR for streamed programming, but there are many other options.

Figure out what you watch and how you do it then we can figure out your best path forward.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    To be clear, TiVo does NOT combine with these services.* It records from traditional cable television (including Fios), or from broadcast TV. (There are also some obsolete models that record DirecTV.) It does not record the streaming services. They have their own "DVR" services (over the Internet), and a lot of their programming is available in "on demand" form.

* Except for the TiVo Stream 4K, which is an Android TV streaming box. But that device doesn't record at all.

5. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005

Advertisements

IMO... Getting into the TiVo world now is not a good investment unless you find a used one with LifeTime. DVR days are coming to an end. Video On Demand, streaming services AND atsc 3.0 tuners will be the end of DVR's.

6. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Depends on what service provider you have.
    Comcast and Tivo new agreement goes until 2031 and part of the agreement is Comcast support Tivo at least until 2031.
    Now whether that is still cablecard models or an IPTV capable Tivo I do not know.

wizwor likes this.
  7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    However, the OP says they want to break off from Xfinity (Comcast). I agree with others that if one is opting for streaming services, an independent DVR is not a good investment. Many of the services offering streaming of channels (rather than on-demand) offer DVR-like "cloud recording".

8. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    It's NOT possible to advise the OP until much more information is shared by the OP - the first being 'location' everything is about location!!!!

This dependent upon 'location' could be a very good time to consider TiVo -

I'd like to see the OP return - no one knows the current Xfinity services that might have incited the OP to consider a 'leave'!

9. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    TiVo is a cable tv or antenna tv dvr.

edit: or a $50 streaming box. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Most streaming services I know of DO support recording. What services are you looking at, and what channels are missing from them?

From what I've read, the fees alone on Xfinity are nearly $40 these days before you even add a channel package. When a similar thing happened with Spectrum, I cut the cord immediately. That was about 4 years ago. I haven't regretted it for a second. In fact, I've truly cut the cord. I don't even get internet from my cable company anymore.

11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    That was a license agreement for a patient issue. Has nothing to do with TiVo DVR's. It allows Comcast to continue to use it's X1 technology that apparently was based on TiVo software. This is the only place TiVo makes money anymore (and patient lawyers.)

12. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    $39 streaming box

13. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    @ImaPappy if you're going to cancel cable, and if you don't plan on receiving anything via an antenna, and you are only going sign up for a live TV streaming service — like Philo, Sling TV, YouTube TV, or Hulu Live TV — then you don't want a TiVo DVR like the Edge because it won't be able to record those, and it is not exactly the best choice for streaming them either.

You may want to look instead at the TiVo Stream 4K or the Fire TV Stick 4K or some other inexpensive small streaming device. TiVo and Sling partnered on the Stream 4K to make an integrated interface for you. Here's a review. But Fire TV and others also help you aggregate everything into one channel-surfing guide, and here's a review of the Fire stick.

You'll be able to record "in the cloud" on most of those live TV streaming services. They don't really want you to record locally, but many of their channels can be captured on a local server by Channels DVR if you have some patience for tech.

blackngold75 likes this.
  14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This is an understatement, given that no TiVo DVR or Mini even offers a streaming app for any of the cable replacement services.

15. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    What is a TiVo? Have you been living under a rock for the past 21 years? Go do some basic research like reading TiVo's website and other online resources and come back with specific questions.

unclehonkey, trip1eX and ufo4sale like this.
  16. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Incorrect....I already knew this info from some people inside the company but it was also posted in the first post here: Comcast Moving Channels to IPTV

humbb likes this.
  17. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    So you believe everything a call center rep tells you? TiVo is not going to court to protect cable cards for anyone. That part of their business is coming to an end.

Not trying to be an @$$, but unless you can link to a printed article that says they will do what you say, its just rumor. I cannot find anything that says TiVO use of cable card at COMCAST is protected. I could be wrong.. If you can, please link to an article that says what your saying.

Read these...

Comcast and TiVo Reach Agreement, End 4-Year Patent Fight | Next TV

Comcast, TiVo bury the hatchet | Light Reading

TiVo Wins Ruling in Comcast Royalty Fight at Trade Agency

Comcast and TiVo end their lengthy patent battle

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  18. indyrobb

indyrobb Active Member TCF Club

Feb 9, 2005
    Indianapolis...
    So is this not an online resource where people can read up on tivo and ask questions?

19. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Gilbert Arizona
    If you know what a DVR is then you should know what TiVo is.

Bigg likes this.
  20. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    People need to do some easy, basic research before coming on and asking extremely generic, low quality questions. Low-quality questions will get low-quality answers. Not necessarily because people are trying to be mean, but because they don't really know what the OP is actually looking for if they ask a low quality question.

ufo4sale likes this.