I'll upgrade from my TivoHD to a Premiere when...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Lrscpa, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Lrscpa

Lrscpa Member

Apr 20, 2003
    1. ...there is a four tuner model available.
    2. ...the second core is activated/minimal reports of HD menu lag.
    3. ...the menus other than the main menu and find programs are in HD
    4. ...I can upgrade my existing lifetime sub (now 9 yrs old).

Well, if I can get the first three, I'll pull the trigger.

I actually played around with one in Best Buy (no cablecard inserted), and didn't find the HD menu to be slow. But other than the Main Menu and Find Programs (and the disc usage meter), at this point, I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade.

2. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Well, there is also an un-announced/supported and buggy feature, but now you can stream from one Premiere to another. Also, the iPad/iPhone app (tivo says they will have an Andriod one is on its way) seems pretty nice to me.

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Then you will never have a Premiere.

And having the second core activated is mostly meaningless if the Flash based UI can't make use of it.

4. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I'm not so sure. Maybe Tivo is watching and will implement these features just for him.

5. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    How can they enable the 2nd core? They haven't sent a survey for the 2nd core to be enabled so they don't know we want it.

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Your mistake is in assuming it's relevant whether or not they know we want something. Believe me, the only consideration is whether or not profit results or is potentially lost. And that decision rests squarely with MSO's - for example, that's why the HD menu has been improved since launch, to demonstrate to MSO's it was possible.

Customers don't mean much to Tivo - it's all about the MSO's now. We're just a wide beta / platform demonstration team, essentially. What we want is 100% irrelevant, unless we get angry enough and generate enough heat / press coverage that MSO's grow too concerned about Tivo's ability to deliver. That is, if they don't just want to string Tivo along until it's dead. :cool:

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Your "existing" lifetime sub isn't 9 years old, since the Tivo HD hasn't been around that long. Presumably you mean you have a Tivo HD *and* a lifetime series 1 or series 2?

BTW, there *were* upgrade offers, at least twice. To S3 & to TivoHD.

8. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    1. ...there is a four tuner model available.

*This would be nice; for people with families or without much of a social life.

2. ...the second core is activated/minimal reports of HD menu lag.

* Mine is not laggy

3. ...the menus other than the main menu and find programs are in HD

* This is a waste of time, it works fine as is.

4. ...I can upgrade my existing lifetime sub (now 9 yrs old).

* It's time for you to pay up.

9. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    It was a sarcastic joke, but yeah I know what you mean.

10. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I am pretty sure they think it's relevant. After all, this is a company who promised us an HD interface, gave us a half baked one and then had the balls to ask us if we wanted them to finish it.

11. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The problem I see with comments like this is "we" have no idea what the global "we" really wants.

You know what you want, I know what I want, and we can read what a few dozen people on these boards say they want. Neither of us has any idea what TiVo's marketing data shows is most relevant to the majority of their customers.

I can assure you my views on several topics that people bit** about all the time are not the same as some other peoples. When TiVo asked me about the HDUI I told them to get rid of it and focus on improving the SDUI. I also could care less about some used or unused core.

While I completely agree that TiVo can not and does not care what an one individual wants I do not believe they do not care what their marketing data shows their stand alone customer base wants over all.

Thanks,

12. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    What makes everyone think it isn't currently being used? I know it wasn't on originally, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been turned on in an update since. Do you really think Tivo would announce that they had turned it on?

13. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It could be if he has transferred the lifetime multiple times with different upgrade offers or he could have had a series 1 with the grandfathered 1 free transfer. Don't forget the Premiere is the first box I believe where lifetime didn't transfer with the upgrade offer but instead let you keep the existing lifetime while also giving you lifetime on the Premiere.

As far as the rest, wait for the Elite then assuming TiVo gets FCC approval for the waiver since it will have 4 tuners.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    Agreed, and good points. The only area I differ is that I think the only respect in which Tivo cares about "what their marketing data shows their stand alone customer base wants overall" is the respect in which it's relevant to MSO's.

I touched on that point in my original post, but here's a more direct statement: The *only* way in which Tivo cares about stand alone customers is insofar as stand alone customers are relevant to MSO sales / agreeement / demonstration / beta / etc.

Thus, while they certainly care what their marketing data shows in the aggregate, they simply do NOT care about what that data shows UNLESS it has potential to demonstrate something to an MSO, scare away an MSO, or otherwise affect MSO profit / loss of profit.

I can't really *blame* them for taking this stance, to be honest - the market, such as it is, has driven them to it, as Tom Rogers has alluded to on more than one occasion. Standalone customers simply aren't going to be the way of the future unless Allvid somehow works out in a miracle.

I have to think they'd at least mention it - they crowed about the dual-core at the initial product announcement, after all, and had nice pretty pictures showing how it was an improvement. Plus, Tivo IS pretty good at marketing, even if they don't spread it wide enough - they will go to some lengths (though never quickly!) for a press release.