"I'll Be Gone In The Dark" (HBO) *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 29, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Haven't watched it yet, wanted to get a thread started...

I'll Be Gone In The Dark is a documentary on HBO, based on the book of the same name, by Michelle McNamara. The book is a true-crime story of the hunt for the Golden State Killer. The book was released posthumously on February 27, 2018, nearly two years after McNamara's death and two months before an arrest would be made in the case. The book's title is a reference to a direct quote spoken by the Golden State Killer to one of his victims: "You'll be silent forever, and I'll be gone in the dark."

As I understand it, the HBO mini-series (6 eps) is sort of a meta-mash of both the GSK's crime spree, and McNamara's obsessive hunt for him.

2. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Michelle McNamara was a writer who focused on true-crime stories. She had a fascination with them, and working to solve unsolved crimes. She was married to Patton Oswalt. She died in 2016 from a combination of accidental drug overdose and heart disease.

The series is directed by Liz Garbus, who splits the story between the actual GSK, and McNamara's obsessive hunt for him. Getting favorable reviews. Dark, heavy, but well directed.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watched the first episode last night. I like Patton Oswald but I found myself bored to tears. It just felt like a long episode of Dateline or one of those True Crime specials all over cable TV. I'm out.

4. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I watched this and had a very hard time paying attention. I too thought it was pretty boring.

5. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I found it interesting, but it does develop slowly. I'll give it a second eps, to see how it moves along.

Fascinating story. Since E1 appears to be the setup, I'm hoping E2 starts to show some insight into her hunt.

I can't imagine the courage it takes for the victims to speak on camera like they did.

6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I found it interesting, but I've never seen or read any true crime so that entire world is new to me.