iLive Sound bar affected by buttons on Tivo Remote incorrectly

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by motomen2, Aug 27, 2019.

1. motomen2

motomen2 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi all -

I've searched the forums but was unable to find an answer to my rather frustrating issue. When I press certain buttons on my TiVo remote (I have the remote that originally came with my TiVo Premiere), the buttons either turn my sound bar (iLive ITB396B v1522-01) off or switch sound bar inputs (between Optical, Aux, Bluetooth, etc.). The buttons I have found to do this so far are the green TiVo button, the left arrow button next to the Select button. There may be others, but I have not run across them yet.

As you can imagine, its quite maddening as my sound goes in and out and the soundbar turns off and on as I navigate the TiVo menu system. Clearly, whatever code some of the TiVo remote buttons are using are the same as those on my sound bar.

I've tried to do a global reset of the remote, and then reprogram it all. That did not work. Ideally I'd like to control my sound bar volume with my TiVo remote, but at this point I'd just settle for the TiVo remote not interfering with the Source settings on the sound bar!

Thanks in advance for your help. If you know some things I might try, please do let me know.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Try turning 'Off' the Wake With TiVo Button (CEC) from Remote Control setup in Settings.

-KP

3. motomen2

motomen2 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi KP -

Thanks for chiming in. I looked in settings and was not able to find such a setting - I have a Tivo Premiere non-XL (Series 4, I believe). Is it possible that setting is not available on my older TiVo? If so, is there a similar setting elsewhere, or something else I could try?

Thanks,
    motomen2

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If all else fails, you can change the TiVo and remote to a different set of codes. Same as the way you set it up for a second TiVo in the room.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Is this a new problems with an existing setup, or a new sound bar? I remember seeing some threads about this exact same problem at the old official TiVo support forum. If memory serves it was specific to certain Zenith TVs, and there was never an answer. Tony's suggestion to try some of the other 9 code sets on the TiVo remote is a good one, but it didn't help in that case.

If the iLive sound bar is misinterpreting TiVo IR codes, I would check with iLive support. They may have newer firmware for it.

6. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry KP, but that's TE4 which doesn't work on a Premiere.

7. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    You usually can find a Tivo slide remote on ebay for 40 bucks used. These can be programmed to repeat any IR signal. Getting one of those and programming it manually with the original soundbar remote would probably fix your issue.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
  9. motomen2

motomen2 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thank you all for the responses. I've tried as TonyD79 suggested and reprogramming the TiVo remote using different codes. I did not try all of them, but did try several without success or any change in the behavior.

The iHome thread that Edmund linked to sounds VERY close to what I am experiencing. For some reason the codes that TiVo uses for certain button presses are the same as what iLive is using for the sound bar (specifically related to changing sources). I'm not sure why that would be. TiVo is aware of iLive (it lists it in the brand listing in the remote control setup menu in settings), so I'm not sure why it uses the same remote codes....or why iLive uses the same codes as TiVo. I'm not sure who is to blame. What came first, the chicken or the egg? :)

I may explore getting a slide remote as suggested by fyodor, but I'm trying to make sure I understand how that might work and be beneficial. After all, it's not so much that I'm trying to have my TiVo remote learn to control the soundbar correctly (though that would be the ultimate goal if possible), at this point I want it to STOP changing the sources on the soundar (i.e. I want it to unlearn whatever it is doing). In other words, I'd be happy to use both the TiVo remote and soundbar remote independently if I had to - that would be much less frustrating than what I'm dealing with now.

Lastly, I've reached out the manufacturer of the soundbar (www.iliveelectronics.com) to see if they have any thoughts - I'm still waiting to hear back but will keep you keep you posted. I just wanted to provide an update as to where I'm at now.

Thanks again everyone for chiming in - if you think of anything else, please let me know.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I think slide remotes still use IR for the main buttons and only switches to RF when it's in keyboard mode. That probably wouldn't help you.

TiVo uses a slightly modified version of the old NEC2 IR protocol. The main thing to remember is that the first 16 bits out of 32 that it sends for each button press is a unique manufacturer code that was assigned to TiVo back around 1998, and no other manufacturer is allowed to use it. Unless the device on the receiving end is a TiVo it should ignore anything that starts with that code, but I suspect that somebody built a cheapo IR receiver chip with sloppy programming that's responding to just the last 16 bits and ignoring the manufacturer code altogether. The Zenith TV threads that I mentioned responded to the exact same buttons (the TiVo button and the left arrow). That's a pattern, not a random coincidence.

If iLive can't fix it I can reprogram one of my TiVo remotes and analyze the volume, power & input codes that it sends out to prove that their hardware shouldn't respond to TiVo codes. It's probably a lot easier to just send the sound bar back and buy one without a crappy IR receiver.

cowboys2002 likes this.
  11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    If that didn’t fix it, I doubt it is a remote control issue. The codes are completely different. It has to be interaction between the TiVo and the sound bar.

12. motomen2

motomen2 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks all for your ideas. I just wanted to chime in here to report back and close the loop.

I tried to work with soundbar manufacturer support, but was unable to fix it. Their only real solution to try was to place the TiVo and the soundbar far enough apart from each other so that the TiVo remote presses would not be seen by the soundbar. However, with my current A/V setup, that is not really possible. I just dont enough space to move things around sufficiently so as not to cause interference. So I ended up returning it and am back to using the TV speakers until I am able to find a decent soundbar at a good price!

I appreciate all the thoughts shared for this issue. I'll definitely be frequenting these forums in the future.

13. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Black Friday season is coming up, sooner than we think . . . . (It's when I purchased my last soundbar, at a nice price.) :)

14. johnfasc

johnfasc Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Maybe a little late, but did you try pairing the TiVo remote to the iLive soundbar. I had the same issue with my Boston Acoustic sound bar. There should be a certain protocol to pair your remote with the sound bar. From I live quick start,
    Press the button on the remote to switch to Bluetooth Mode, indicated by a slowly flashing blue light. 3. Press and hold the Pair button on the side of the unit. The pairing indicator will flash blue quickly.

15. motomen2

motomen2 New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hi johnfasc -

I have already sent back the unit, but am still interested in learning.

I did try pairing the TiVo remote to the iLive soundbar, but not through Bluetooth as I do not believe the TiVo remote I have (for a TiVo Premiere) is bluetooth compatible. I believe it is IR only, right? I did try to pair the remote through the TiVo settings menu, but this was not successful either. Let me know if I'm missing something..

I'm on the lookout for a soundbar for my TV and will keep an eye out for one during the Black Friday and holiday sales coming up at the end of this year.

Thanks again

16. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I've had success/ease-of-use with a Samsung soundbar.