1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ifttt triggers

Discussion in 'Developers Corner' started by moyekj, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Apr 3, 2018 #1 of 47
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just wondering if there is anyone here that knows details about how ifttt protocol works? Since TiVo has added ifttt triggers it may be interesting to try intercepting triggers, for example there's a SkipMode trigger which would be useful to intercept. I've browsed some of the obvious places:
    Introduction to ifttt:
    IFTTT
    Protocol reference:
    IFTTT

From Protocol reference looks like it's https interface with json data exchange. But authentication looks to be token based. Would be interesting perhaps to first discover what port(s) TiVo is using for this perhaps using a sniffer utility of some sort.
    I only have non Hydra TiVos so don't even know if they are even ifttt enabled/capable or not. Certainly someone with Hydra would be.

A very basic query of an ifttt enabled TiVo that presumably should work would be:
    Code:
    {ip:port}/ifttt/v1/status

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  2. Apr 3, 2018 #2 of 47
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Note that there are at least two triggers so far ...

. AutoSkip and
    . Content started playing

... the latter being active on either Hydra or Encore.

p.s. I'm wrong. They've added a couple more....

IMG_4724.jpg

3. Apr 3, 2018 #3 of 47
    Lurker1

Lurker1 Active Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I am using both Content Begins Playing and Display Message on my Encore Roamio. Maybe you could use one or both of these to sniff for ports.

4. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    I thought Tivo was going to implement Auto Skip in Encore. I have not seen any updates that has included this feature yet. Is there a time frame for adding the feature. I don't need Hydra and am sticking with Encore but it could be a decent feature if reliable.

5. reneg

reneg Active Member

Jun 19, 2002
    From the IFTTT FAQ on FB: "AutoSkip Commercials: TiVo Experience 4 software has the ability to skip commercials automatically, no keypress required. This feature is expected to be available on older TiVo devices in the future." Experience 4 is Hydra.

6. May 4, 2018 #6 of 47
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I think that @dhoward was referring to the bolded--it's been 3 or so months since that info. and, as far as I'm aware, no development there.

7. May 7, 2018 #7 of 47
    brimorga

brimorga New Member

Oct 22, 2016
    I'm still on experience 3 and I'm perfectly happy, but I would love automated skip mode. Is it worth the upgrade to hydra just for automatic skip mode?

8. May 7, 2018 #8 of 47
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    In my opinion, no, both because of the arguably major change to the UI; because AutoSkip is supposed to come to Experience 3 (Encore, TE3, gen3), at some point; and because it sounds like AutoSkip still needs some work to be reliable.

You'd definitely want to make yourself more familiar with the basics of Hydra/TE4 before making the jump, and understand that reverting to TE3 requires a factory reset of the box, snuffing all recordings and settings.

Megamind, pldoolittle and brimorga like this.
  9. May 7, 2018 #9 of 47
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    If you haven't yet, you might want to try out manual skip using IFTTT, to see if you like how it functions.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You don't need IFTTT for "manual skip," right? It's just the 'D' or 'Channel Up' button. ??? (I assume I'm not grasping what you're suggesting.)

11. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    kmttg offers a form of automated skipmode. It has to pre-process the recordings that have skipmode tags to fully work. But once it has done the processing, it is very reliable and can be tuned to add or subtract a little bit of time at either end of the commercial breaks. I wouldn't refer to it as manual skip, but I know what mikeguy meant - it does require more effort to set up, but can be pretty simple to use in practice once it's running.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh, maybe that was it... he meant to say “with KMTTG” rather than “with IFTTT.”

13. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh, I was wondering why it seemed like you were trying to educate me on KMTTG, since I'd posted a suggestion to look into it earlier. And then I spent a few minutes scanning the page up and down trying to find my previous comment ... and began to think I was gaslighting myself.

Same day, different thread, different site...
    Phew; now back to regular crazy.

14. gonzotek

gonzotek tivo_xml developer

Sep 24, 2004
    Outside...
    You know what, re-reading this too, I'm pretty sure I mis-read mikeguy's post, and he *was* talking about the ifttt skip action that can be triggered via whatever ifttt trigger...(e.g. an IFTTT Do Button from a phone, or an alexa or google home voice command). So...yeah...sorry about that.

"We're all mad here" - Lewis Carroll :)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.
  15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I was referring to using IFTTT and the skip voice command to skip the commercials--a good way to get a feel for the responsiveness--or not--of the system. I find it intriguing--am using it with Cortana on my PC/tablet--but the simple and easy use of the TiVo remote, always by my side when watching television, as king, avoiding delay and missed commands using IFTTT.

But IFTTT is a good way to locate the remote, without getting up. ;)

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Ok, "voice control" rather than "manual," and not strictly an IFTTT function, since it requires some other voice control product.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    LOL, no, manual as in voice-controlled IFTTT skipping and as opposed to IFTTT autoskipping, and yes, an IFTTT function as it requires IFTTT. :)

And getting back to the point, a way to check out IFTTT's functions to see if they might appeal, or not, before upgrading to Hydra with the goal of getting IFTTT autoskip.

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Great. Since there are only 2 ways to skip thru IFTTT, and autoskip, one of them, isn't available on Gen3 TiVo boxes, I thought that manual skipping via voice command, the other form of skipping, would be understood, and so I didn't spell it out further. Glad that it's understood, now, and happy to help.

And once again, getting back to @brimorga's original post, it's a way to check out IFTTT's abilities before more drastically moving to Hydra for them. I've been finding that IFTTT is interesting but far from 100%--for example, I've had a skip command delayed for numerous minutes and then occurring in the middle of a show.

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I assume there are two parts to auto-skip. The part that sends the IFTTT trigger and tells the server that a skip point has been hit and the part that listens for a special "skip" IFTTT message and performs the skip. Are both bits of that missing from Gen3? Or just one? If Gen3 still sends the trigger but doesn't support the message then it should be simple to make a 3rd party app act as a proxy and listen for the trigger and just issue a D button press to the TiVo over the network. If Gen3 is missing the trigger then we're SOL until TiVo decides to add it.

20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I expect that the issue is that Gen3 is missing whatever database field is needed for generating the "skip segment detected" message that is sent up to the TiVo.IFTTT* servers, or storing the information on the destination of such messages.

I can confirm that Gen3 boxes are able to respond to the associated action message sent from IFTTT, which is just a "Send remote control key" action configured to send the 'D' button press (or 'Channel Up'). I just created an applet that triggers based on time of day, and then sends a 'D' button press; my Gen3 Mini, playing a SkipMode-enabled show, skipped to the next program segment very nearly at 3:45pm.

* I'm not clear, at present, on whether the messages are sent directly to IFTTT from each box, or if the messages are first sent to some TiVo server and then forwarded to IFTTT.

gonzotek likes this.