If you're the CEO of Newscorp for a day, would you buy TiVo, Inc. ???????

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by af250xxl, Mar 15, 2006.

Buy TiVo Inc.

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. af250xxl

af250xxl New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    If you're the CEO of Newscorp for a day, would you buy TiVo, Inc. ???????
    (and then merge it into DirecTV) :)

I know if I were in such a position, that's the number one thing on my agenda.

:)

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Not enough information. How much is TiVos valuation? How much cash/debt does TiVo have? Lots and lots of issues.

3. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Plenty of information. Given D*'s size vs. TiVo's size, it would be like Bill Gates trying to decide if he should get a new Toyota.

But since you asked:

TiVo:

Market Cap - $540M
    Assets - $162M Debt is aprox the same

DirecTV:

Market Cap: $22B (That's Billion with a B)
    Assets: $14.3B
    Cash: $ 2.8B

So basically D* could write a check. 51% of TiVo would cost them $271M or less than 10% of available cash.

Actually, Bill Gates could buy D* for $22B and give us all UTV's.

4. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    No issues at all. You will only be CEO for a day, so you will not have to live with the consequences of your actions.

5. af250xxl

af250xxl New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    EXACTLY!!! :D :D :D

6. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Doh!

Feb 20, 2006
    Probably not. What intellectual property do they really have to offer me that I either don't already have access to or can obtain from other sources? OK, so maybe I picked the wrong vendor for the development of the R15, but I can always move to one of the other vendors who are chomping at the bit to be our supplier and will essentially fund the development at very little cost to me. Although, if I did purchase Tivo, it would be to make sure that my competition would no longer have access to the Tivo service. The Tivo brand would be used for my marketing - but SA box development would be stopped and SA marketing deemphasized. If you want a real Tivo, I would make you move to my sat TV service.

But the main reason I wouldn't buy Tivo is because I'm a mean old miserly f&rt who would prefer to see those jean wearing hippies at Tivo slowly wither up & die, or worse, get real jobs... ;)

7. herdfan

herdfan New Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Hurricane, WV
    Your ability to obtain it from other sources in the future is in question. TiVo has a huge patent lawsuit against E* that should go to trial later this spring. If TiVo wins, and depending on how the court rules, there could be a ripple effect through the industry.

If D* owns TiVo, then they would be immune to such suits. And E* might hav to pay them damages. :D

8. Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    Buying a company doesn't necessarily mean you would gain all its' property, intellectual or otherwise.

You could buy TiVo, Inc and have nothing but a name and debt.

9. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If I were STEVE JOBS and CEO of Apple, I would buy Tivo to jump start video downloads and video podcasting. That gives them a foot firmly in the door for VOD and home media centers.

10. k1114

k1114 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I'd do it - DTV could REALLY benefit from this. Right now there is nothing that seperates D from any other major retailer aside from a few sports packages (after the big lease swap that is) so it would be worth it for them to monopolize at least SOME part of the industry (the tivo brand being that part)

11. BillyBob_jcv

BillyBob_jcv Doh!

Feb 20, 2006
    That's the best idea I have heard so far! We would have a Series 4 unit by xmas! :cool: