If you had pixelization on TivoHD, did the new b2 code fix it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jfh3, Aug 16, 2007.

Did the new THD b2 code level significantly reduce or eliminante pixelization?

1. Yes (2 Motorola single stream cards)

27 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Yes (2 SA single stream cards)

4 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Yes (Other card mfg or no CableCARDs)

8 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. No, I still see pixelization (2 Motorola single stream cards)

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. No, I still see pixelization (2 SA single stream cards)

43 vote(s)
    46.7%
  6. No, I still see pixelization (Other card mfg or no CableCARDs)

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

Tivo released a new software level, 8.1.7b2-01-2-652, for the Tivo HD box.

See the announcement here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=362755

This thread is to capture user experiences with it.

Please spend a reasonable amount of time testing before you vote and ONLY vote if you saw what you would consider unacceptable pixelization/microblocking before the software upgrade.

(If you have MCards, use the "other" choices - poll is limited to 6 options)

2. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Testing for about 1 hour and no pixelation. Formerly every 10 to 20 seconds.

3. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    OK may have jumped the gun on this...

Sorry TivoFanBoys, but I just had 5 instances of pixelation within the firt minute of Big Brother 8. So not fixed, but possibly reduced. It appears that the interval has been somewhat reduced, but the issue continues...

During the time it took to post this it has pixelated 5 more times. Sad

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Just because you see pixelization on one program at one instance, doesn't mean "the issue" continues. There are many reasons for pixelization, most outside of Tivo's control.

The intent of this thread is to see if b2 makes a significant difference in what people are seeing, not to see if all pixelization has been eliminated for all users all the time. :)

5. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002

Advertisements

OK, upon further testing no significant difference.

6. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Not sure how to edit the poll -

If you have MCards, use the "Other" choices. I would have liked to have a MCard (both SA and Motorola) set of choices, but you can only have 6 choices in a poll.

7. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have 2 Moto S-cards (FIOS), and have been watching for about 90 minutes now. Various channels, SD and HD.

I'd have previously seen blocking within about 20-30 min (before update). Haven't seen any yet, so as of now I have to say that b2 may have resolved my situation.

8. brermike

brermike Member

May 31, 2006
    Johns Creek, GA
    I have 2 Motorolla single stream cards and so far, no pixelation. Prior to the b2 update, I didn't have too much pixellation (anywhere from 1-5 instances per hour). So far nothing. If this changes, I will edit this post. Thanks Tivo!!

UPDATE: After watching for another 90 minutes, still no pixelation. FYI, these are on HD channels where I usually got at least 1 instance of pixelation per show. I am very happy :)

UPDATE: I did a lot of TV watching today on both HD and SD digital channels. I still have not seen any pixelation since the b2 update.

9. jameynelson

jameynelson New Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Did the update, seems to have helped a little, but pixelation still happens. Signal strength 100, tech said line to the outlet was direct, and signal was much better than needed. Hopefully they get this corrected shortly. I have 3 weeks on the 30 day return. I'll just have to go back to my old series one.

Had TiVo for 5 years 9 months, having high hopes that they can resolve this :up:

10. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Pixelation is reduced, somewhat... However the audio dropouts are missing, for now

11. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Previously, I was seeing intermittent pixelization about five times per hour (sometimes more, sometimes less) on Verizon FiOS with 2x Motorola S-Cards.

In two hours since the update, I have yet to see any pixelization on any channel. :up: :up: :up:

12. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    I would like for the four SA S-Card users who voted in the poll and said the update fixed their issues to please provide some detail here.

Are your pixelation and audio drop problems still gone?

What cable company do you use? Any other details that you can provide would be appreciated by those of us unfortunately stuck with Scientific Atlanta CableCards.

Thanks,
    Dolf

13. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I was one of them, and unfortantely voted after testing for too short of a period of time (< 1hour). After more extensive testing issue is basically the same as before, pixelation every 4 to 60 seconds.

14. Legacy679

Legacy679 New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    I have 2 SA cards and am still seeing the macro blocking. It does appear to be slightly improved from previous versions.

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    OK, I've seen enough to vote -

Saw fairly frequent issues with no CableCARDs and/or with one Motorola MCard before the update.

Not a single one in about 9 hours, either on the Tivo menus or a tuned channel.

16. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    The call to Tivo this morning was less than productive.

He indicated that in some cases the b2 fix did in fact resolve this ongoing issue of pixelation, and those that did not have this issue resolved, their "Engineers" are working to get out another update to fix the problem, as soon as it is possible.

All they would/could do is to extend my return by date to 9/30/07, with my Tivo Case # included should such measures be taken...

What to do? check, bet, or fold... duh?

17. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I initially voted "No" for "Other" (OTA), but now after more testing, my pixelation is significantly improved to the point that I hardly notice it. Maybe one event in 30 minutes.

18. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I can also confirm that the CSRs are able to extend the 30-day guarantee to 60 days if you ask, because of the THD issues.

19. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    How about a poll option "I never had pixelization"

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    If you read the first post, you would know:

(a) You can only have 6 options in a poll
    (b) This poll is only for those that were previously experiencing pixelization.

:)