If you could add a feature to TIVO what would it be?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by occraig, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1 of 279
    occraig

occraig New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Advertisements

If you could add a feature to TIVO what would it be?

Mine would be a feature that showed me how much of the hard drive is full. That is one feature i miss with time warners DVR

whos next?

2. Jul 7, 2009 #2 of 279
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Please search for one of the other zillion threads on the topic.

* Free Space Indicator (basically what you said -- I use it ALL THE TIME on my non-Tivo recorder, and I *understand* and accept some of the limitations, especially with a bazillion digital resolutions which would equate to a bazillion different "space/hour" calculations... but I *still* want it, and would PAY MONEY for it if it worked reasonably well -- that being said as someone who has gotten lifetime subscriptions so I wouldn't have to pay more beyond the initial payment)
    * Cooperative scheduling (a "simpler" way to get more tuners). This imho would actually be somewhat complex, because *personally* I would want it to NOT record if it would involve deleting an existing recording. I understand this isn't the way Tivo works.
    * More tuners -- if I could just have 4 tuners in one box, even better. IMHO, it's not just for literally more recordings at one time, it's the ability to handle 'padding' on more abutting shows.
    * speaking of that, allow me to 'pad' shows on the same channel one after another while using the same tuner. Apparently some cable DVRs can do this.

there are a zillion more..

3. Jul 7, 2009 #3 of 279
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    Prevent duplicate records, "record at or near this time", really if the guide isnt going to be correct give us a real solution.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #4 of 279
    flynz4

flynz4 Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland, OR
    1) 2-Way communications to fully utilize my CC's (Fios) video on demand and other services
    2) Built in MoCA network connection
    3) 1Gb ethernet for faster file transfer
    4) A faster processor to go along with #3
    5) Native 1080P

Not necessarily in that order (having a free association moment)

/Jim

5. Jul 8, 2009 #5 of 279
    johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008

Advertisements

Hulu

6. Jul 8, 2009 #6 of 279
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    :up::up::up:

Any kind of "I really, really, really don't want to record repeats of this show no matter what the guide data says" setting would be a godsend. Especially in the summer when the providers get lazy about updating their guide data.

7. Jul 8, 2009 #7 of 279
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    The ability to remotely, or automatically, initiate transfers between TiVos, and the ability to remotely delete items from Now Playing.

8. Jul 8, 2009 #8 of 279
    Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Hulu

9. Jul 8, 2009 #9 of 279
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    1. One-click deletion of everything in the Recently Deleted folder.
    2. Warning indicator that alerts you when you are getting near full capacity of the hard drive, say around 80%.
    3. A menu option that displays the amount of disk usage for the following:
    a. Recordings currently on the drive
    b. Space used by Tivo's suggestions
    c. Space required for upcoming recordings that are not flagged as KUID
    d. Space reserved for upcoming recordings flagged as KUID
    e. List of recordings that will be deleted within the next 72 hours to make room for upcoming recordings
    f. Any other pertinent options that would alert you to any issues with regards to disk space used vs. disk space required for scheduled recordings. There's nothing more disconcerting than finding out that recordings have been deleted with no prior warning.

10. Jul 8, 2009 #10 of 279
    falc122727

falc122727 Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Allow Computers to be MRV clients. TiVo will never do this as it will reduce the incentive to purchase multiple TiVos.

11. Jul 8, 2009 #11 of 279
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    A wireless keyboard for performing searches

12. Jul 8, 2009 #12 of 279
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Scheduled recording indicators (red dots) in the guide so you can see what's already scheduled when browsing shows. Do it just like Replay does - one dot for a single record, two for a season pass or wishlist.
    C'mon Tivo, EVERY OTHER DVR shows scheduled recordings in the guide. It's not rocket science.

Coop scheduling as mentioned above - you shouldn't have to sit down in front of every Tivo to resolve conflicts or manage passes. No, tivo.com doesn't count as an alternative.

13. Jul 8, 2009 #13 of 279
    urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    Werd.

14. Jul 8, 2009 #14 of 279
    prdprd2003

prdprd2003 New Member

May 15, 2009
    Have a corner window with "Live-TV" while you are going through TiVo menus i.e. To Do list, Now playing, etc.

15. Jul 8, 2009 #15 of 279
    turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Much faster platform (CPUish) all around... leading to...
    -> Better, more responsive UI
    -> A real HD UI.
    -> Not needing to pawn basic stuff off to remote servers that make apps feel really slow.
    -> Faster transfers (decode, encode, wrapper stuff, etc.)

What I really want is Tivo on my Xbox 360.
    Of course, if I had that, then I would probably want a quieter Xbox 360.

16. Jul 8, 2009 #16 of 279
    SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    Is there any reason why a TiVo cannot record the same program stream to two different files? This would allow padding of shows on the same channel with a single tuner.

Let's take the evening as an example. Nick2 is running SpongeBob SquarePants at 8:00, 8:30, 9:00 and 9:30. Meanwhile, TBS is running Tyler Perry's House of Payne at 8:00 and 8:30 followed by Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns at 9:00 and Who the Hell is Tyler Perry and Why Does He Have Fifteen Shows On the Air? at 9:30*. Let's assume for argument (1) that I watch these shows and (2) that these are channels that tend to overshoot or undershoot their slots and could stand some padding**.

If I want all these shows padded, the TiVo should physically be able to do it with two tuners. Tune Nick2 from 7:58-10:02, create four NPL entries and have the ends of each of the first three SpongeBob shows and the beginning of each of the following SpongeBob shows include the overlapping recorded stream. Same sort of thing with TBS.

Right now, I usually either keep the padding and lose a show (because the TiVo uses both tuners to record the same channel for a couple minutes) or else I drop the padding but then regularly find that I have to keep a show in the NPL because it has the first 30 seconds of the next show. And I have to remember which show has the missing piece. Recording the same stream to two locations seems like it should be feasible and would be more elegant than the current, somewhat ineffective, solutions.

* Just kidding. Of course, it's just another episode of Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns. I think TBS hired the programming executive that was responsible for the WB's old "All Wayans Brothers - All the Time" strategy.

** The best example would be NBC, of course. That example doesn't work tonight because I'm not even going to pretend to watch America's Got Talent. Not even hypothetically. I don't care if Jerry Springer is gone; it's still David Hasselhoff and Sharon Osborne holding forth on whether people are entertaining. It's not TV, it's a sign of the Apocalypse.

Substantially previously posted in February in TiVo Suggestion Avenue forum

17. Jul 8, 2009 #17 of 279
    newhopenet

newhopenet New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I want to be able to adjust the time window in which TiVo won't record something it has already recorded once. It is currently set to 28 days, and can't be changed. I want to set it to 365 days so that it basically never re-records something I've already seen, within one year.

18. Jul 8, 2009 #18 of 279
    retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    +1 Should be relatively simple to implement, particularly if the "automatic" part isn't included initially.

19. Jul 8, 2009 #19 of 279
    SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    ...along with an option to turn it off or suspend it. Nothing like seeing the end of the game you're buffering when you drop to the NPL during the second quarter.

Same thing with movies. The Godfather was completely ruined for me when someone who had already seen the film blabbed that not only was Keyser Söze real, he was Merv Griffin.

20. Jul 8, 2009 #20 of 279
    morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    While that might be useful, it would cause the recently recorded database to grow 12 times in size. I'm not sure the TiVo is powerful enough to handle that.