If you can't get OTA HD, don't bother with DirecTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AbMagFab, Jan 11, 2006.

1. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001

Advertisements

They don't currently have an option for people who want HD and can't get HD OTA. You really should go to your cable company (or FIOS TV).

I know this is obvious, but a friend was asking for advice, and the main decision was this simple - If you can't get HD OTA, don't go with DirecTV.

DirecTV is really screwing the high-end consumers. No HD MPEG-4 DVR for 6-18 months (and no baseline to set expectations, except the questionable R15).

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Was this supposed to be a reply to another thread?

As I know as of tomorrow... I will have MPEG-4 and HD Locals (at least the big-4) via DirecTV...

And the HD MPEG-4 DVR (the HR20) is expected in the next 3-6 months, not 6-18 months

3. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Most people who want HD, want a DVR. And cable companies only offer HD DVR's (a good thing) if you get HD (as far as I've seen, at least in this area).

You might be getting HD locals via DirecTV, but it's a novelty. How much live TV do you really watch? And be honest...

Nearly everyone I know Tivo's/DVR's. Especially those making the HD plunge. So getting HD locals from DirecTV, when you can't record them, is useless for most. Especially when they can get more HD locals from their cable company, and more extra HD channels, and an HD DVR to record them all. You can't even compare, if you can't get locals OTA.

And the MPEG-4 DVR was announced to be out in about 6 months. Do you really want to bet me again? I think you owe me at least one Coca-Cola for the R15 bet. DirecTV hasn't met a release date or a promise yet, and they won't be close with this one. If you want to bet double-or-nothing, I might take over/under of seeing it in 2006.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    This is a very subjective question. In my area cable doesn't offer enough HD for me to go that route. Luckily, I have all four DNS nets from DirecTV.

It's all a matter of location location location. :)

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...

Advertisements

(a) no cable company close to me.

(b) no OTA HD signals receivable in my area (80 miles from closest tower)

(c) closest cable company DOES offer HDTV locals, but almost nothing above that. But, see (a)

6. rjfrandle

rjfrandle New Member

Oct 22, 2003
    Minnesota
    My local cable company doesn't have any HD. And it doesn't sound like it's coming anytime soon. For many, Direct TV is the only route. Yes, we will have to wait for the DVR, but I'm quite sure it isn't going to be 18 months. I also have a good feeling that with all the satellites Direct TV is launching or has launched, there will be many HD choices in the not to distant future. Yes, I know they never come out with things when they say they are going to, but I'm guessing cable companies haven't delivered on time either. HD is just a slow process no matter which route you take, especially in a small market like mine.

7. TheBigDogs

TheBigDogs Member

Oct 14, 2004
    All of that said, the original statement " If you can't get OTA HD, don't bother with DirecTV" is really true. At the same time, If you can get OTA HD, you might be much better off with a Sony DHG-250HDD. You lose TiVo, but you also lose the 2 year commit and all the other DTV H____S___!

Given that I haven't got my rebate, have no better HD reception with the HR10, and am stuck with the two year commit, the original statement is very good advice.

8. cktb2793

cktb2793 New Member

Jun 23, 2004

Your not stuck with the 2 year commitment if you cancel AND send them their HR10 back.

9. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Okay... Let's go double or nothing on that Coke (I do owe you one)
    What date should we set as the over under? Lets say 07/30/06 (6 months after January)

I will take the under... :)

And yes... Excluding sports, I watch very little LIVE TV..

10. skofarrell

skofarrell Member

Sep 18, 2002
    I watched a ton of HD Sunday Ticket football on DTV. That in itself is reason enough (for 6 months out of the year).

11. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm with Earl on this one. Given my experiences with OTA, and the fact that, so far DTV has met their schedule with MPG4 HD Local rollouts, I'll probably be sticking around. The existing Cable DVRs suck. Despite getting more channels, I wouldn't trade my HR10-250 for one of the Comcast Motorola boxes. The Series 3 Tivo announcement is interesting, but I'm pretty down on spending another $500-1000 when both Cable and Satellite companies are leasing DVRs for $5-10/month. There's too much technology change year-to-year for me to put down a fixed investment.

When the MPG4 locals are available (about 6 months) in my area and DTV gets an HR20 out - I'll probably trade in my HR10-250 - assuming the HR20 works well enough (and especially if they add the dual live buffer feature). I'll keep my R10 as insurance ;)

The sky is not falling. Just like when the satellite companies first added LIL channels there was a transition period where not everyone could get them, and when not all the channels were available. In about a year or so D* will probably start adding WB, UPN and PBD HD locals for those DMAs where they already provide MPG4 HD Locals for NBC, ABC, CBS & Fox. And as Doug points out, we'll probably start getting real HD versions of good channels (not the pseudo-channels that Voom provides) in the next year as well.

If you haven't bought into D* right now, I might advise holding off unless you can get the AT9 dish at least. And I wouldn't advise most people to get the HR10-250 unless their OTA channels come in great. Don't want to have someone feel they got an EOL product.

12. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Your comments are not correct. Obviously you should go with the company that offers you the most in your area. Part of what made DBS successful was the fact that they could bring 'big city' services to rural areas. They've now branched out to compete head to head with cable. But the first selling point still holds true.

1) I can't get most of my channels OTA. I only get FOX and WB.

2) My cable company does not offer HD at all.

3) My cable company does not offer a DVR at all let alone a HD-DVR.

4) My cable company is extremely expensive and has crappy service.

5) I hate cable anyway! They have always sucked, and they are only halfway decent today thanks to DBS.

With DirecTV I currently HAVE and HD-DVR with CBS-HD, HBO-HD, and ESPN-HD that I watch regularly. It records my FOX and WB OTA, and works great. They will have an HD-DVR with HD-LIL in Denver by summer. My cable company says maybe next year at the earliest.

So who is screwing who? DirecTV's HD offerings will be welcome in my home where I wouldn't otherwise be cable to get HD. Trust me, there will be a LOT of rural customers subcribing to DirecTV to get HD-LIL.

13. hancox

hancox New Member

Dec 17, 2004
    I guess you're discounting the 2 largest TV markets :rolleyes:

14. Panchovilla

Panchovilla New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    S.W. New Mexico
    Jim - "all four DNS Nets" - please list them. I get 3 west coast networks, ABC, CBS and NBC in HD, and get both east and west coast in SD for a total of six.

15. ebonovic

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Your missing FOX HD

Jim was referring just to the 4 HD networks.

16. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Exactly, Earl.

I do get both east and west coast SD feeds of the four main networks. Total of 8. :)

Now if DirecTV would only allow me to get WB and UPN. If you've followed my rants on the forum, you know why.

17. Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...
    I get the local networks in HD (NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox) through my DirecTV box without OTA. So there is no advantages over local cable, but many down sides to cable and particular the cable DVR boxes...

18. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    You must be NY or LA. Those are special cases (since they are and will be the only locals in MPEG-2), but even those don't get UPN or WB in HD.

DirecTV is screwing the pooch for HD customers, plain and simple. They're taking the MSoft approach - solve 75% of the problem, and hope people don't realize the other 25%.

Problem is, cable seems to have most of the problem solved, and with the Tivo Series 3 and/or the 6412 Tivo, Cable (and FIOS/Fiber TV) will have 100% of the solution.

19. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Again, most people will want all their locals; in the two largest markets, how many cable companies only carry the 4 major networks in HD?

I'm fortunate that I can get all my locals in HD over the air. So for me, DirecTV's current realignment of their world is pretty meaningless. I figure I have a good 2 years before there's even a chance I'll be forced into a new DVR, though I'll likely have the option of using a new DVR earlier.

That gives time for Verizon FIOS to come to me, as well as Comcast to get their act together (here they only have the 4 major networks in HD too, and maybe PBS though I don't care) and perhaps have an offering. More likely, the CableCard TiVo just for OTA ATSC would meet my needs and I could go 100% free television, except for TiVo fees.

But I do at least have 2 years before it'll realloy be important to change anything.

20. inaka

inaka Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2001
    AbMagFab, I have to agree with you on this one.

I just moved from a city where OTA was easy as pie to a city without easy OTA access, and I can tell you that the negatives far outweigh the positives going forward. I had to do the dreaded switch to Comcast, and honestly, their Motorola DCT6412 Phase III HD DVR is not bad at all. Yes, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a true "Tivo", but that's coming later this year with Comcast, and without a long-term contract, it's doing the job just fine.