If there were no hardware fees, how many Tivos would you add?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by innocentfreak, Aug 12, 2009.

How many Tivos would you add if there were no hardware fees?

1. Nothing would change.

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. I would add a Tivo to every TV that didn't have one.

35 vote(s)
    36.1%
  3. I would add a second Tivo to the main TV.

12 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. I would add multiple Tivos in every room.

10 vote(s)
    10.3%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.2%
  1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida

Advertisements

My friends and I were talking about this today. We have both gone from multiple Tivos per TV to one Tivo HD per TV. We of course were spoiled where it only cost a couple dollars more to add an extra Tivo and they got really cheap since most people were upgrading to HD.

How many Tivos would you use above what you are using now if there were little to no hardware fees,$20-$50, and you only had to pay the monthly fee plus any fees from your cable company? Assume in this case there would be no lifetime option since there was cost for the hardware.

With things like Tivo To Go and MRV, some of the benefits of multiple Tivos are less than they were with DTV and of course as you add more Tivos you have less conflicts but more Tivos to manage. It's not that I think Tivo will ever drop hardware fees but I am just trying to get used to only having one Tivo in each room.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Not even an "other" option?
    Poll fail
    I'd add 1 tivo to one of the televisions that doesn't already have one, but not all of them.

3. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I knew I forgot something. Oh well I can't change it on this board since the software won't let me. I am used to other forums where you can change your vote and also add pole options.

EDIT: Thanks to whoever added the other option for me.

4. TiivoDog

TiivoDog FIOS Fast!!!

Feb 14, 2007
    Central PA
    Geez....I already have 6, but I could use 1 more in the kitchen, where I have my VZ Fios box as you have to take one with their package :D :D

5. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN

Advertisements

I only have one TiVo and that's all I need. Even if there weren't a monthly fee or hardware fee, I doubt I'd get another one. I just don't have the space for it or inclination to bother.

6. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    With cooperative scheduling, I would be more likely to add another - shouldn't every TV have a TiVo? I would certainly consider it without the coop scheduling, but I spent all that money for a Series 3 :rolleyes: but a cheap or free box with an INcrease in monthly fees would be a NO. I think. Maybe.

Don't you hate it - when you see you could always add yet another poll option?

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The biggest caveat for me is the cable company. They charge $2/ea for the CableCARDs (need 2) plus a $40 fee to come install them and they waste 2-3 hours of my day to actually do the install. It's just not worth the effort to buy another TiVo HD even if they were free with monthly service.

If the cable company had some sort of self install option, and M-cards, then I might consider adding another TiVo HD (even at $250 for hardware) just so we had an extra HD tuner for the occasional conflict. (we have 4 HD tuners now, from 2 S3 units, but one more would help on busy nights like Tuesday and Thursday)

Dan

8. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah luckily Fios doesn't charge one though of course they do charge 3.99 for the cable cards. At 12.99 a month it is still cheaper than the DVR and only a couple dollars more than the cable box rental fee.

9. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I'd add one(HD Tivo) in everyone room(Maybe two in my main room).

10. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Although a 1 TB TiVoHD and a 500 GB Series 2 are more than adequate for my needs, a second TiVoHD would be nice.

11. RoyK

RoyK New Member

Oct 22, 2004
    SW VA
    I have series 2s in the bedrooms (Smaller screens, don't need HD) and a HD in the den.

I've bought my last TiVo anyway unless the ads diminish or go away altogether.

12. Tivogre

Tivogre Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    I took no VZ FIOS boxes with my package. I have 5 MS cable cards, and nothing else.

BTW.... voted One more. I would probably add on to my account - but give the actual box to my Sister-In-Law.

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    My answer depends what kind of increase tivo would have to impose in the subscription rate in order to finance the increased hardware subsidy.

A different question would be how many tivo's you'd buy if the MSD was increased for any customer with more then 2 (or 3?) tivos. Maybe a subscription price of $20-$30 month for an unlimited number of tivo's (maybe some maximum number). There would probably have to be a broadband requirement and all units would have to be in the same network.

Didn't tivo try an increased subscription rate ($15/month?) so they could offer higher hardware subsidies?

14. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    I'd rather no service fees then no hardware fees. I'd pay $350-450 for a TiVoHD with no additional fees. I'd probably have four by now.

15. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Actually, it was $19.95/month for one year commitment, for a zero initial cost 80 hr single tuner SD TiVo, with one-time upgrade fees to larger capacity and dual tuner models.

In my situation, with current TiVo hardware, and how I can and do receive TV (practically satellite only), no change.

I get no regular OTA digital/HD stations, so cannot really use a TiVo HD. What stations I can regularly get from antenna, are included on my satellite service which my Tivo can record in SD, or I can watch direct in HD over satellite, which is the only HD I can consistently get.

I have only one active TiVo, and no real use for subscribing to another, especially at a rate that includes full hardware subsidy. I have two more Series 2s I could subscribe if I want or need to, but I don't for either.

16. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    No Lifetime

No TiVo

The UI of proprietary DVRs' are improving every year.

I'll keep my freedom to open my own box, thank you.

17. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have a TiVo at each TV and a TiVo HD on the 2 main ones needed. no changes for me.

I would note that TiVo tried bundled pricing for something like 19$ a month for a year then regular sub price after that - it did not work to sell any more than before.

18. jkalnin

jkalnin Baad Spellor

Jan 8, 2003
    Warrington, PA
    This begs the question: WTF are you doing here?

19. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I understand his point. If his only option was to have a subscription versus being able to have lifetime, Tivo isn't worth it for him. I know every time I activate a Tivo I debate whether I want lifetime or yearly. Part of me says go yearly since in a year hopefully there will be a reason to replace my Tivo HDs with a new Tivo model and the other part hates having a monthly bill which especially adds up with more Tivos.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I agree with this, though I voted 'multiple Tivos per TV', since that's actually what I have now.

That's also why I ended up paying about $850 for one of my Tivos, because it was during one of the "limited time" lifetime subscription times.

(and I only say 'multiple' since there aren't more tuners. Put 4 tuners in a Tivo, and I would probably only need 1 or 2.. 2 because with 4 tuners now, I still have issues with not being able to pad everything.)