If not Roxio...

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by kempette, Aug 21, 2007.

1. kempette

kempette New Member

Aug 22, 2005

Advertisements

Okay, I tried to play by the rules & use Roxio to edit & burn my Tivo Desktop programs, but new Roxio Creator 9 is the most user-unfriendly program ever created. To make matters worse, the quality of the output is like a badly degraded VCR tape- hideous. For that effort, I'd at least hope for something watchable.

Am I correct in thinking that Nero 7, will allow me to edit & burn my Tivo Desktop shows? It doesn't seem to have a free trial that I can attempt to use to see if it will work & since I've already shelled out money for one useless program I want to know if this one will do the job properly. Also, if I get Nero 7, do I also need the DVD-Video Plug-In that seems to be separate add on, or does that codec come with the regular Nero program.

Additionally, IF Nero won't work, any suggestions as to what will? Thanks bunches!

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=4068071&&#post4068071

Nero works. Not sure what the demo gives you (they do have a demo). But you do need the DVD-Plug In. Again not sure if that is part of the demo.

My suggestion would be to skip Nero and give the VideoRedo + DVDStyler + ImgBurn combo a try.

3. kempette

kempette New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    Thank you Thank you Thank you! Great link!

4. kempette

kempette New Member

Aug 22, 2005
    I hate to beat a dead horse here, but I feel a bit dense these days.

It's obvious that Nero itself won't read the tivo files. I downloaded the trial & still need to convert the tivo files into something that Nero can see right? Well, I know from other threads that DirectShowDump should work (although I'm still not clear on how that works, but that's for another day I guess). My understanding is that DSD will put it into mpeg-2 format. Well, if that's the case, wouldn't any program that imports mpeg-2 work- like Pinnacle? Or is there something special about Nero that I'm missing. Thanks.

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

Actually Nero will read .tivo files. Just got to change the Files Of Type drop down to be all files (*.*). (Although it can be a little buggy at time - screech audio/garbled video bug)

DSD will work (it requires TivoDesktop be installed, it grabs the output after the TivoDesktop.dll decrypts it).

A newer (better?) choice is Tivo Decoder GUI. It doesn't require TivoDesktop to be installed.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5280657&&#post5280657

Also, VideoRedo will remove the encryption as well. Just buy, it is worth the $50.

But yeah, once you have a regular MPEG-2 file should be able to use any video editing software (hint VideoRedo).

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I second the recommendation, especially if you plan on making DVDs on a regular basis.

Check it out.

Edit: One thing about Nero (at least my version) is that for some stupid reason, they set the default audio out to about 1/3 the volume of what the input was. :mad: