If I like 'Survivor', what else might I like?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by heySkippy, Mar 27, 2006.

1. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL

Advertisements

I don't watch much TV, really I don't, and I never watched any reality TV at all except way back when I did watch the 2nd season of Survivor.

Then early last fall, OLN started re-showing all the seasons of Survivor starting from the beginning. They were showing 3 episodes a week so I decided to watch them all and now we're up to Pearl Islands which will end this week. In the meantime, my wife and I have also been watching the current season(s) of Survivor as they play out.

Long story short, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Much more than I thought I would.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other reality type show I might like to give a try. My wife watches The Apprentice and American Idol and I've given them a try but don't care too much for them. The Apprentice is too filled with young Type-A personalities and I just want to kill them all. American Idol - meh.

So, what suggestions for reality TV that features a nice mix of young/old and personality types and doesn't focus on the talent show aspect (ala Idol)?

TIA!

2. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Amazing Race
    Survivorman

3. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I second "The Amazing Race". Great show.

I don't know of any others... "The Mole" (not the "celebrity" version!) was another great one, but ABC dropped that one. I still miss it. :(

4. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I see a lot of talk & references to The Amazing Race. What is the premise of the show?

5. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf

Advertisements

You have over 4,000 posts and you don't watch TV? In the TIVO forum. Maybe I'm missing something.
    There is a bunch of 2 man or women teams that race around the world and complete different tasks to find clues to get to different places and not be the last to get to the place, or they will be sent home.

6. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I guess I could have more acurately said I don't watch much network TV. I do watch a lot of movies and some sports and History Channel type stuff.

7. VegasVic

VegasVic Craps Player

Nov 21, 2002
    The Craps Table
    Amazing Race is great. :up:

8. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    Eco Challange (from the same guy who brings you Survivor), should they ever bring it back. <keeps fingers crossed>

9. Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    11 2-person teams race around the world. Each team is connected in some way. (best friends, husband/wife, mother/daughter, etc.) At the end of every episode is a "Pit Stop" and the last team to make it is eliminated (Philiminated) from the race. There are two challenges during each leg, one of which is for both team members, and the other is for just one of the team members. Doing the challenges quickly can get you ahead, but often the team that loses is the one that gets lost. :)

I believe there is a new episode tomorrow. (unless there is basketball? Not sure) This season is just a few episodes in.

10. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Amazing Race is an absolute given.

Top Chef on Bravo is amusing enough. It's nowhere near the quality of Survivor or TAR, but it's agreeable enough to spend an hour.

Next Food Network Star is a bit higher quality than Top Chef, but you have to be well-familiar with the entirety of the Food Net cast to get maximum fun out of it.

11. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    If it's the actual survival aspect you like, then I'd definately recommend Survivorman. They basically drop this guy off in a spot for 7 days with practically nothing and he has to survive.

12. TBDigital

TBDigital B. Meisterburger

Mar 14, 2002
    Kingwood, Tx
    Another :up: for Amazing Race, and, if you get Game Show Network, you can catch up on previous seasons, since they show an episode from a previous season just about every night. I think they're in season 4 right now...not the best previous season to start with, but any TAR is a good thing, in my book. Except the horror that was season 8, the "Family" edition...

13. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I will support the amazing race as well.... I got my father to finally start watching it, and he went and watched all the old seasons. (They are re-running on some channel or were much like Survivor), and now he is a bigger fan than I am.

I think that is the only one I would recommend strictly on someone who enjoys Survivor.

14. JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    So if he doesn't survive and dies does he lose?

15. boneill

boneill Amazing Race Junkie

Feb 7, 2004
    AmazingRace++

16. darthrsg

darthrsg New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post 911...
    Big Brother.

17. The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Deadliest Catch season 2 starts tomorrow.

18. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I will 20th (or whatever) The Amazing Race. It is my number 1 reality show and I have watched Survivor from the beginning.

The Mole was also good but only had 2 real seasons.

Deadliest Catch starts on Tuesday and that was a REALLY cool ride last year.

19. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yet another :up: for The Amazing Race. Like Bean, I've also watched Survivor from the first episode but TAR is my favorite reality show. It's fascinating to watch them compete in real cities and within the framework of the real world rather than in the contrived and manipulated world of Mark Burnett (Survivor).

20. heySkippy

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Okay, ARWL set for Amazing Race so I'll get all the old & new. Thanks and maybe I'll be seeing some of y'all in the threads.