If I have two Tivos do I need to TAs

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pileosnafu, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pileosnafu

pileosnafu New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I tried to search but there are quite a few references to Tuning Adapters.

If I have two TiVos that are within USB cable reach of the TA do I need two TAs or can I just use a USB Hub?

Thanks

2. Brad Bishop

Brad Bishop Member

Sep 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You need two TAs.

You can't (normally) share devices between to computers (TiVos) via USB.

3. pileosnafu

pileosnafu New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Sort of what I figured. Just don't want to go through the hassles again, but maybe be easier this time with the New FCC rules

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Tuning adapters are usually easy to activate so setting it up is not an issue (they authorize them just like a cable modem basically). The cablecard is usually the only issue you will have setting up a new TiVo.

5. JosephB

JosephB Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Yup, TAs don't really "pair" with the Tivo, so that's not a big deal. It'll work or it won't and they send an activation code to it as if it were a stand alone set top.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Now that MRS is being rolled out to the S4 platform with the 20.2 update, you could probably get away with a single TA since you could record shows from SDV channels on one TiVo and stream them to the other if you wanted to watch in another room.

Here in St. Pete there aren't many SDV channels I care about so I only have one TA (not worth the $3.80/month to get more than that).

Of course, this won't help if you have recording conflicts on SDV channels, so YMMV.

7. pileosnafu

pileosnafu New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    I forgot that Bright House does the free TA for a Year, turns out by getting another one the agents was able to add the "campaign" to the old TA as well, so it worked out well and saves me $4.00 (As of 1/21/2012) a month.

I just wish I could get them to comply to other FCC rules (but that's another thread)

Seems that a bunch of the channels here in the Orlando BHN market are part of SDV that I watch :(
    I'm getting the Second TiVo as my first one is often maxed out on recording. I wish that TiVo would design their service now where it tells what TiVo what to record since they can stream back and forth, should all be one list across multi-servers, shouldn't be that hard from a programming standpoint. Might require more talking with their servers and a higher bandwidth from them, but for at least $34.98/month should be a relative Cost per Subscriber increase in CODB or COGS.