If I cancel the HDTivo, or DirecTV, will it still work as an OTA tuner?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by AbMagFab, Oct 16, 2006.

1. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001

Advertisements

Subject says it all... Getting ready to drop DirecTV, but one of my HD TV's doesn't have an ATSC tuner, and I'm not ready to buy a Series 3 for it yet.

2. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    I believe it will, and I think you can use pause, rewind, etc. w/ the 30 minute buffer. No program guide, of course, and I don't think you can do any (manual) recordings.

If I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected.

3. ravedog

ravedog New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    lv.nv.us.na....
    I had the DirecTV HD tuner (no Tivo) and it would NOT let me see any of the OTA channels unless

A) it was STILL hooked to the satellite antenna (to get authorization)... I drove a semi and i did not want to hook up the satellite antenna every night just to watch regular TV.
    B) the account was active (to get authorization)

I can't see why they would make an exception for Tivo users (especially since they are getting rid of them), so I'd have to say that "no, you can't use the box after you disconnect service).

Lame in EVERY respect.

4. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    The difference is Tivo boxes work in very limited fashion without a sibscription. It wouldn't be surprising to see this work without a DirecTV subscription.

However, I'd like to know before I kill everything. I guess I could test by unplugging the sat cables and rebooting?

5. ravedog

ravedog New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    lv.nv.us.na....

Advertisements

If that doesn't work, try this (if you are patient)... call DirecTV and disconnect that box. Tune to a channel like 202 and wait for you to get the notice stating that the box and card and not authorized. Then try your experiment. You could always call them back and reconnect service.

Just make DAMN sure that they are not going to charge you to reconnect nor make you add another year of service guarantee to your contract for doing so (ask them when you first call).

Also remember this: your box is a DirecTV box with TIVO not a TIVO box with DirecTV... DirecTV comes first, which makes me think they'll cripple it. Also, I'm pretty sure you don't won your box anyway... when i turned off the box I bought at Best Buy, I had to return it to DirecTV after I discontinued service with it.

6. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Argh. That sucks.

I could have sworn I used it temporarily w/o the sat hooked up while I was in the process of relocating a dish (which took me a few days to complete).

But I must be mis-remembering, or it was before I had the HDTivo. I know my older HD receiver would work for OTA w/o a DirecTV account.

7. ravedog

ravedog New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    lv.nv.us.na....
    Remember I tried this experiment with a straight DirecTV HD Tuner (no Tivo) so YMMV.

8. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    Ah, should have caught that.

So perhaps I'm not suffering from a false memory ;)

I do understand that the current D* HD receivers need to be authorized to pick up OTA (though I don't have one). My older Samsung did not. As I said, I didn't think the HR10-250 did...but I could be wrong.

9. ravedog

ravedog New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    lv.nv.us.na....
    to steal from another post:

If you aquired your equipment on or after March 1, 2006 then you do not own it.

Its apparent i have no clue what I'm talking about :(

10. Chew

Chew New Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Before calling DirecTV, I did a "clear and delete" everything on my HR10. Then redid initial setup and selected OTA only and scanned for local channels. I then called DirecTV and suspended my service (which you can do for up to 9 months per year). I no longer have DirecTV channels or guide information.

I do, however, still have OTA HD channels and full access to the buffer with FF, Rew, Pause.

11. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I know DISH has a "RV account" plan available to cover this situation. I think all they require is credit-card-autopay and that you provide them with a DOT number of the vehicle. I would assume that DTV has a similar plan.

But without paying monthly for both the "DVR service" as well as subscribing to a minimum package, I think the HR10 only works as a dumb tuner, which means no recording, no trick play.

I would guess that once the Tivo agreement is over in 2009 or so, that DTV will doorstop all HR10s if they can get away with it.

12. bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    If memory serves, and Chew's post above seems to confirm, you actually do get buffer functions (but no recording). I also think you need an access card in the unit (even if no subscription is active).

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Could be, but the reason I state that is I had a new HR10 last week that I could not authorize for a day until the original sub (Circuit City on a demo sub) called in to deauthorize their card. For that day I got just the barker channels, and no buffer.

14. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Did you try OTA?

15. finaldiet

finaldiet New Member

May 10, 2004
    Oak forest, Il.
    I believe it will still work for only OTA channels. I read a lot on the forum that when they switch to mpeg 4 the toners can still be used for OTA.

16. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...

I was just going to suggest the "suspended" service. Worst case you have to pay for a very minimal level of service for a few months out of the year. Best case, the box keeps working perfectly for as long as you need until something better is available for you.

17. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I've tried this before, you get dual buffers with trick play, but no recording.

18. nabuch

nabuch New Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Elsmere,Ky. USA
    I know for a fact, having done this since switching to DISH, that the HDTIVO can be used to get all HD ota channels. The buffer still works, as does antenna one and two. You can pause etc., but you can not record, at all. I do still have the subscription card in the unit, I never thought about it before, but seriously doubt that removing it would change anything. Remeber, I am only talking about the 10-250, the new ones, knowing D, probably won't work without a sub.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Hmmm, none of the new DirecTV receiver will work OTA once the DirecTV service is cancelled (H20 for example). Many of the way old ones however will like the Hughes E-86. Not sure on the HR10. It might be old enough to work. I'd say a good test would be to just disconnect the sat cables and pull the access card. Re-run guided setup and see if you can just do OTA only. If all else fails you can still hook it all back up and get it going again.