If DTV decides to stop supporting Tivo, will you cancel DTV immediately?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Leila, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Leila

Leila New Member

Apr 28, 2006

Advertisements

If DTV decides to stop supporting Tivo, will you cancel DTV immediately?
    I was asked this question when a DTV installer came to swap out my
    snow-damaged dish today. She seemed amazed to see that all 7 of my
    DVRs are running Tivo.(HD and SD) By the way, this is the first time I've
    seen a female DirecTV installer...

I think my answer will be "no" because I don't have any decent alternative'
    to DTV. Local cable company, Cox, sucks big time. FIOS TV will never reach
    my neighborhood.(Verizon can't even bring cheap DSL to my area after all
    these years)

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    DirecTV has not stop supporting any of the receivers that are in the field. My Sony B65 still works and UltimateTV systems still work.

3. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    I did a poll about this back in October. The summary: 9% here said that they would definitely be leaving DTV, 26% said that they would probably be leaving DTV.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=321721

I'm in the probably category. I'll try an S3 next winter to decide but the Wow! lineup and pricing looks good and the Wow reviews on the S3 forum are generally positive.

"Immediately" is hypothetical since DTV can't afford to switch out all the TiVos they have in the field that quickly. But if anything happens where I can't have my HR10 without extending my committment (hardware failure, etc) I'd probably switch immediately.

4. Steve609

Steve609 New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    NJ, 08226
    YES...

I will go with Comcast w/ TiVo! :up:

Steve609

5. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Eastern...

Advertisements

I am canceling as of 1/28 when I get FIOS installed, and the main reason is the dropping of TiVo based DVR's. DirecTV as made a choice, and I will not be going forward with them as a sub...

6. TomB

TomB New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Colleyville, TX
    Will have to actually see what the replacement options are from DTV, but am in the probably category. Would love to get FIOS, but do not see it planned for my neighborhood. We get rain fade (signal loss) EVERY time it rains, despite having good signal strength normally. Not that a cable situation would be without problems, but....

7. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    If you are a Tivo fan, I'm curious why you are "pulling the plug" so early? If they started tomorrow, it would take D* at least a year or two to wean everyone off MPEG2. You can probably enjoy your Tivo service for another 2-3 years, if not longer. The re-signed Tivo contract with DirecTV runs into 2010.

/steve

8. reh523

reh523 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    No only if D* stops the NFLST......

9. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the same boat as nrc. I'm keeping my HR10 and R10 for as long as they work or until there's a compelling alternative. If either dies and I'd be "forced" into a 2-year commitment if I got a new receiver with D*, I'd definitely leave - given the current state of things with the R15 and HR20. Here's how I see the current DVR landscape:

* The Comcast cable DVRs are cheap, but only "OK". Maybe that will change with the advent of Moto/Tivo, maybe not.

* I'm scarred from my Dishplayer experience so I don't know if Dish is something I'd be willing to try. But their latest DVR seems to get fairly good reviews. Maybe they're something to look into.

* The HR20 seems like a crapshoot (might work fine, might cause your wife to divorce you) right now and the R15 is a total POS.

* The S3 looks "great" but it's way to expensive for me to justify, especially with the probable obsolescence of CC 1.0 and the current lack of two-way communication negating On Demand and PPV ordering.

So, I'm sticking with what I have, especially since there aren't that many national HD channels I'm missing and I get reliable OTA reception. Nothing so compelling I need to jump ship.

I will say that unless the HR20 is both reliable and cheap (under $99 up-front), I'll probably look at other vendors (especially Comcast with the $0 up-front and no commitment) for my TV in the next year.

10. Scott Corbett

Scott Corbett New Member

May 29, 2003
    SE NC
    What is that?

11. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    National Football League Sunday Ticket...

that is why I have D*, and that is why I will stay...

don't forget that D* has a 3-year agreement with Tivo...so we won't need to make this decision for some time...the decision will be made to switch away from Tivo because the mpeg4 offering will be too hard to ignore...

12. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    If DTV makes my 3 HR10s into boat anchors, I would certainly have to place them on the bottom of my list of appropriate vendors. I'd likely go back to DISH (shudder!) since they have a better HD selection than Cox or DTV and a significantly better HD PVR than anyone other than Tivo (who is significantly better than DISH at the moment).

13. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    wow, i have one of them. Turned it off when i got up to 2 HDtivos though. Got that plus the t60 for 300 bucks back in the day..

14. JRAllas

JRAllas Spoiled by Tivo

Mar 26, 2006
    Crest Hill, IL
    I dumped Comcast in 2004 for DirecTV. The biggest selling point for me was a receiver with a built-in Tivo. In 2006 when I bought my 65" HDTV and PURCHASED ($399) my HR10-250 from DirecTV I was very happy. Now that I hear they might be phasing out all the Tivo units, it upsets me. As much as I hate Comcast for their poor service, if the Tivo they offer is as good, or better, than the DirecTivo units it will be difficult to stay with DirecTV. I refuse to move to DirecTV's excuse for a DVR. I've heard far too many complaints. I can get content from anywhere. How I'm able to view and manipulate it is more important to me.

15. gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    The way my HR10 is working I will be glad when D* dumps these boxes for the HR20. I have never been a 'huge' Tivo fan. My first DVR was a Replay and I always felt they were better but what sold me on the D* Tivo was the dual tuners.

What will make me jump ship is FIOS. I can't see jumping to cable as their HD offerings are only slightly better than D* today (in my case at least) but come the end of the year I think most cable companies will lag D* in HD offerings.

16. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    No. It's just a DVR. Give me one (any brand) that records and that's all I need.

17. Todd

Todd Gee thanks Jeremy...

Oct 7, 1999
    Coastal...
    I'd switch to Cox and buy a TiVo S3....

18. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Yeah, significantly better by infringing on TiVo's patents.

19. nuke

nuke Member

Sep 8, 2003
    Campbell,...
    Tivo is a big factor in the equation. I liked the seamless integration with D* and I liked their way of doing business better.

Now that they've become equally evil, that's eroded their advantage that might have got me to go with a non-tivo DVR, perhaps grudgingly.

20. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    you can dump all them now for HR20. And while I haven't followed the HR20, if you just scan the thread titles of this link, you can see it's far from bug free. So you just would be replacing one headache with another :)

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112