Idle timer for DVR HDD ... good or bad?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by lazarus000, Feb 21, 2014.

1. lazarus000

lazarus000 New Member

Jan 24, 2007

Advertisements

I seem to find a different opinion each place I look.

some say that DVR/Tivo are consistently running so any idle spin down just adds wear and tear on the HDD.

Some say that any down time saves your HDD life

looking to replace a hard drive on a THR-22 and it seems like idle time on the HDD is a 'need to know' when deciding which hard drive to buy.

Main thing I'm looking for is reliability and longevity. I hate losing all my records/SP etc every 2-3 years.

at least the THR-22 seems to format/OS the drive for you so I don't have to worry about that.

thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    It's always recording - spin down is a waste. It would be best if you buy an AV-rated drive, which means in part it is meant to run continuously and doesn't take itself offline periodically for recalibration, the way desktop drives do.

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since a TiVo is always recording, there is no idling being done, it never gets a chance to, except during a "soft" or "warm" reboot.

What you have to watch out for is the Intellipark feature enabled on some WD "Green" drives. It needs to be disabled if the drive is going to be used in a TiVo, so that the drive isn't asleep when the motherboard calls upon it during a reboot.

4. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Just to echo what stevel said. Not all drives work in the THR-22. You get pixelization and stuttering as they cannot move data fast enough.

I tested several 2TB drives (I had access to them through work) and the only one I found that would work was an Hitachi. Although others have used other types successfully.

p.s. There are threads on here with the details