Ideas for TiVo HD with dead hard drive...

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by dgnlcj, Mar 20, 2011.

1. dgnlcj

dgnlcj New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Boston/Worce...

Advertisements

My 3-year-old TiVo HD recently died. (Constant cycle of booting-GSOD-booting etc. Diagnostics failed to fix anything.)

My options seemed to be, have TiVo replace it with another refurb HD unit for $150, or buy a new or refurbed Premiere. I ended up getting a refurb'ed Premiere for $100.

So now I have this HD with a dead hard drive. Should I try to sell it on eBay? Or hack it and turn it into some sort of generic non-TiVo DVR?

I don't want to have (or pay for) two TiVo subscriptions, so whatever my options, I wouldn't have service for this box. When I canceled service on my old Series 2 a long time ago, it stopped working too. Not just the program guide, but I couldn't use it to transfer between TiVos any more either. Would that be the case with this newer TiVo?

Thanks for the advice.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, it will stop working without a subscription. The only things you can do then, is to watch the pre-recorded shows and live TV.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Did you perform a disk diagnosis outside of the kickstarts? You could have just a small error of the drive that the disk utility from the drive manufacturer would repair. What could it hurt?