ICS and Tivo connection, VOD Qs

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by JLaamanen, Jul 6, 2009.

1. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I use a Sprint USB "card" for internet connection and have my Tivo HD connected w/ ethernet cable to my 'puter. The Tivo also has a wireless adapter connected but when I check w/ my laptop the connections I see are secure. The Internet Connection Sharing does work but not always well and I have to play w/ it at times to get it going when it seems to stop. Sometimes when I've been out of town I see the Tivo connected when my 'puter was off. I assume it makes a connection wirelessly at times if the enet is inactive. My manually initiated updates take many minutes much of which show very little internet activity on a utility I use to monitor connections.

Today I'm trying my first HD VOD from Amazon. After over 2 hours I see 9 mins downloaded and no noticable activity on my utility.

Can someone tell me:
    Would Tivo connect wirelessly if set for enet connection?
    Does manual connecting take significant time w/ "Loading Info" quite slow, (minute or more) for everybody?
    Should a VOD cause a significant download rate until done or "sleep" until a later time?

Thanks
    John

2. pdonoghu

pdonoghu Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Upper...
    Would Tivo connect wirelessly if set for enet connection?
    - No. Tivo only connects on the connection it is set up for.

Does manual connecting take significant time w/ "Loading Info" quite slow, (minute or more) for everybody?
    - Yes, depending on what you mean by significant. It takes a little while, not hours.

Should a VOD cause a significant download rate until done or "sleep" until a later time?
    - It should not sleep. It will download as fast the the bandwidth allows.

3. JLaamanen

JLaamanen Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Well, FINALLY Amazon movie download is finished this morning :)
    I convinced the wireless was connecting. I unplugged wireless now that movie is done and I can't connect to service.

Will try to get ICS working again. Maybe that, when working will be faster than intermitant w/l connecting.

John

4. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    FYI-I don't know about Sprint's cellular data plans, but Verizon and AT&T have relatively severe overage charges if you go beyond a certain, relatively small number of gigs of data. If you're doing Amazon VOD you may want to check your plan terms.