Ice Road Truckers-anybody watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by CsrLiz344, Jul 11, 2007.

1. CsrLiz344

CsrLiz344 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Ohio

Advertisements

If not, you should. It's about trucking supplies to the diamond mines way up in the Northern Territories, a 300 mile trip one way, on roads they made on the ice. The ice shifts, cracks, and moves when it's driven on, and some drivers are veterans (21 and 25 years doing it), and others are newbies.
    They only have 2 months to do it in, tho last year they had a short season because of warm weather. Because they lost time last year, this year they have 10,000 loads to move in 8 weeks (if the weather holds).
    Maybe I'm into it cause DH drives truck, but since they have lost 39 drivers who have gone thru the ice and froze, I would never "let" him do it.(Even tho they can make $75,000 in those 8 weeks).

2. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've been watching but haven't seen the latest epi yet. There are a couple of things I don't like about the show though. One is the voice-over guy from Monster House. I'd much prefer if it was Mike Rowe doing it. The other thing is that the drivers talk a lot about how many trips each guys has made but then at the end they show the total tonage and $ with no mention of who has made the most trips. Also, why do they show previews for the next epi before they finish the current one?

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I've been watching...it's alright, but nothing that really stands out.

4. FuzzyDolly

FuzzyDolly Active Member

Dec 29, 2002
    Williamsvill...
    I've been watching too. I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite shows, but I don't hate it enough to delete the SP.

5. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!

Advertisements

Pretty good TV, eh? Its aboot what I expected.

6. PeteEMT

PeteEMT NF2 Guy

Jul 24, 2003
    Unadilla, NY
    Every 3 minutes though we are reminded:
    Idling on ice : deesaster
    Speeding creates a pressure wave: deesaster

Emphasized by the CGI truck breaking through the ice.

7. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I like it.

Not a 'must-see that night' type of show, but I keep it in the queue for quiet nights.

8. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    I really enjoy this show.

9. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    It does seem at times like there's a lot of "filler". The narration isn't too bad, but yeah, Mike Rowe rocks for this type of stuff.

It's not the same level of production as Deadliest Catch, but I do enjoy it.

10. Wilhite

Wilhite ...no stinkin' title

Oct 26, 2003
    My wife and I have been enjoying it as well. We've been watching it within a couple of days of recording it so it's high on our view list.

I would like to know a bunch more about the logistics of the situation. I'm assuming that there isn't fuel available anywhere on the ice road, but haven't really heard them say one way or the other. There is a rest stop midway on the road, but they haven't said much about it either. My wife asked the other night as we were watching about what they do while they are waiting for their "tee time". I suppose they just sleep in the truck or hang around the dispatch area, but, again, not much info about that.

Maybe as the series goes along they will be offering up more info about a little more than just driving in the truck.

(As an aside - I'm also really interested in the people working up in the mines. How long their "tour of duty" is, what amenities they have, etc. It sounds like it's a pretty remote place and pretty inaccessable.)

(And another aside - I think that I've seen Sirius radios in a couple of the trucks. I suppose that's a really good application for needing satellite radio!)

11. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    The Narrator is Thom Beers.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I saw the ads for it but never signed up. Sort of the "Deadliest Catch" of the road? I guess I'll give it a go. :up:

13. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    It would be perfect as a 30 minute show. As a show in an hour timeslot, it is painfully full of filler and repetition, as if the intended audience is never expected to watch or remember more than one show.

14. highwire

highwire Active Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Ottawa,...
    That's "a-boat" not "a-boot" y'all.

15. alansh

alansh Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
  16. Uncle Briggs

Uncle Briggs Go Blues

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern...
    I've really enjoyed the show. It does leave me with a lot of questions though. With 600 drivers it seems like there would be lots of interesting stuff going on that they're not telling us about.

17. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I agree, it would be OK for a one hour special but too repetitive for a series.