"Ice Pilots" -- National Geographic Channel

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, May 20, 2011.

1. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Anyone watching this? It seems to be very much like "Flying Wild Alaska". Just starting to watch it for the first time. TiVo Discovery Bar suggested it to me, so I set the Season Pass. Not sure how far along the season is.

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    It's ok but overall far less interesting for me. FWA flies planes more my size. I like watching the big iron but they don't show as much or the ops. Less ramp rats and shipping manager, more flying.

3. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yeah...

Not a lot of flying so far. But it's cool they are flying DC-3 and DC-4.

4. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Plus a C-46 and a P-3 Orion.

5. Steve_Martin

Steve_Martin Grandminion

Jul 18, 2004
    Orange...
    Might have to watch this!

Will look for it, thanks.

6. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    It has a different style than FWA but I like it the same. I love aviation so it would be hard to find a show I didn't like about it.

7. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The people are not as interesting as those on FWA but it's still a good show. The French rampie girl was hawt and full of life.

8. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Last weeks Airplane Geeks Podcast had an interview with Mikey McBryan of Buffalo Airways. He talked about how the series started and some background info on how it's filmed.

9. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I've seen three separate episodes now. The secodn two were much better than the first. A lot more flying and stuff in those. I am hoping we get to see more of the story line with those amphibious tanker planes. It would be cool if we get to see them ferrying them to Turkey.

10. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Just caught what I think was the first episode, where they were introducing everyone and the 3 planes. Seems fairly interesting.

11. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    was it the epsiode that felt like "Ice Package Delivery People"?

12. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    They started off talking about Buffalo airlines, mentioned the owner, we saw the freight director lady, they introduced the guy that has to fly the C46 because he was too tall for the DC3 and DC4, they had the in flight emergency in the C46, and then the DC3 daily flight had to change planes.

13. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Yup, what I caught was the 1st episode. Of the 1st season. They have had 2 so far on History Television in Canada. They are now 7 episodes into the 2nd season up there. Wikipedia says it premiered November 18th 2009.

14. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Does it get better? I caught the first episode and found it really slow, and didn't draw me in like FWA did. If it gets better, I'd give it a second shot.

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    yes.. I think it gets better.

16. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Thanks. I will give it a second chance.

17. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    It definitely does. The first 2 or 3 I almost was going to give up then whatever episode
    they had to bring out the huge plane to clear the backlog from all the smaller planes breaking down
    it really got better. I wish that mechanic was in every episode.

18. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Wow, you guys only start getting Ice Pilots NWT now? It's been airing here for a couple of seasons now - season 2 wrapped up a few weeks ago, to be exact.

It's similar to Flying Wild Alaska, but Canadian-ified (NWT - Northwest Territories). Which should explain everything :). It's really like Canadian Pickers vs. American Pickers - they're just... different but similar. It's got a different vibe.

19. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    Canadian Pickers?

The only imports we Americans get regularly are Britcoms and those are all on PBS stations (think voluntary BBC).

20. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I have no idea how long it's been airing. I just started to record it recently. Not even sure what season I am watching. I just see big planes and a lot of snow and people with funny accents.

:)