I would, would you..?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Muttley1900, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2011 #1 of 30
    Muttley1900

Muttley1900 Member

Dec 22, 2008

Advertisements

As some of us S1 owners are not in a vm cabled area and therefore the current offering from VM is not available to us, would you, if TiVo/VM were to launch a freeview TiVo (that say offered some of VM's on demand stuff via broadband and maybe links into iplayer etc etc) sign up for it? And if yes, what would you be willing to pay for it.

I think I'd go as high as £400 for the unit (if it was mine to keep) and prob circa £10 a month subscription (or in other words, turn the clock back 10 years, but with today's technology :D ).

J.

2. Feb 8, 2011 #2 of 30
    DB70+

DB70+ New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Nr Reading
    Possibly

But as the VM Tivo is lease only, I would not want pay too much for it.

As I am with a lifetime licence S1, I am not sure of the £10 p m either

Yes, up-to-date technology but still needs to be the right price.

D

3. Feb 8, 2011 #3 of 30
    BrianHughes

BrianHughes Regurgitated user

Jan 21, 2001
    N.Ireland
    I'd grab it with both hands. No question. :D

4. Feb 8, 2011 #4 of 30
    Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Farnborough,...
    Problem is, some of us won't get Freeview for another year or so. (And even then I have reservations as to the quality some will receive - for instance the analogue signal where I live is not usable).
    So I'd want one that can control the Sky box - just as my S1 does....

5. Feb 8, 2011 #5 of 30
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK

Advertisements

I'd be surprised if there's any market for a freeview PVR over £200
    - the market is saturated with freeview PVRs for as little as £60

Then good luck trying to sell a subscription on top of that !

The only way to get people to pay a sub is for extra channels (i.e. sky/virgin) or extra content ( BT Vision).

So while VM/TiVo could develop a BT Vision clone (Freeview PVR with some downloadable content over ADSL), nationwide broadband isn't ready for a full IPTV implementation.

How well is BT Vision doing ?

I think the days of recompressing an input like the S1 does are long over.

6. Feb 8, 2011 #6 of 30
    Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    Likewise and I think when we do get Freeview our local transmitter, Newhaven will not get the full line-up.

Automan.

7. Feb 8, 2011 #7 of 30
    Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    What is actually needed is a software only version of Tivo that can run on a PC like Windows MCE with any required mixed combination of tuner hardware like one DTT (Freeview) and two satellite tuners and/or a mix of both SD and HD channel compatible tuners..

That overcomes the need to redigitise the signal etc involved with a standalone Tivo.

I believe that Tivo already has such a product but that sadly they will not be distributing it in the UK to work with a UK based EPG due to their exclusive deal with Virgin Media.:eek::mad::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

8. Feb 8, 2011 #8 of 30
    mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    It didn't sell well in the US (and was not very good by all accounts)
    - that's why there was no UK version - nothing to do with the Virgin deal.

"Sales of Nero Liquid TV™ | Tivo PC® were discontinued on December 30th, 2009"
    http://www.nero.com/enu/support-liquidtv.html

9. Feb 8, 2011 #9 of 30
    ramtops

ramtops New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    near Bristol
    Potential problem with that for me is my download limit with the vileness that is Karoo Broadband here in Hull :(

10. ramtops

ramtops New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    near Bristol
    Nooo - no Windows machines in this house, thankyouverymuch!

11. velocitysurfer1

velocitysurfer1 Proud S1lifer

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    ... But I want a modern TiVo that uses Sky or freesat as its source.

Not everyone will have access to free view post DSO. I need a new aerial and see no need to replace it as I have a dish on the side of my house

12. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I suppose the fact that Windows MCE is bundled with the operating system and does not charge for the EPG data was a rather terminal issue in terms of successful marketing.

A shame though given that MCE does not have Suggestions and one or two other deficiencies compared to the features of an S4 generation Tivo.

13. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    A Freeview TiVo is slightly plausible, as Virgin used to give out a Freeview box to their 'National' customers as they call them (customers without access to fibre optic line, instead use ADSL for broadband, a legacy of the old Virgin.Net ISP). Who's to say they'll make another "National" TV box, with TiVo included?

14. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    It looks as though a Freesat box or Windows MCE or some other non Tivo computer based PC PVR will be your main options then for the time being.

We can only hope for a Freeview Virgin Tivo with Video On Demand stuff as well eventually if Tivo takes off in a big way as a draw for new Virgin customers. That has to be at least another two years away. They have to upgrade all the Virgin Cable customer boxes to Tivo first before Tivo becomes well known enough for a Freeview box spinoff.

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You could bundle it free with every PC and provide a free EPG. Instead of "TiVo", which is now exclusively licensed to Virgin, you could call it... how about "Media Center"?

The only advantages TiVo has over MC7 are that it's a packaged CE product in a box, not a scary PC you have to configure. You put it on a PC and it has no advantages over the built in Windows software.

16. velocitysurfer1

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    The assumption being that TiVo stop supplying guide data for S1 boxes. Note that they could stop support but carry on with the guide data.

As i have sky hd, this would become my default option, unless I cancel the contract! But it has poor Video on demand, and the need to take their broadband option for VOD to be anywhere near useful.

Another assumption is that the average man in the street wants VOD.

17. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    No, but the PSB mixes have almost all the good stuff on them, inc. HD.

18. velocitysurfer1

Sep 6, 2006
    De11
    For a standalone VOD box has anyone tried boxee

19. djqster

djqster New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Yes I have.
    It's expensive and the iPlayer app is clunky in the way it completely fails to switch to fullscreen automatically.

But there's enough online content to amuse me and the Lovefilm app should be along sometime for some premium content.

For playing back your own media from a NAS box or external HDD it's peerless.

As for whether I'd pay for a Freeview TiVo, yes I would. I'd pay for all the guff from Virgin just to get a new TiVo but there's no cable here.
    To get cable I'd have to move to Swindon and that's where I draw the line.

20. davisa

davisa New Member

Feb 19, 2002
    I wouldn't be. The decent ones seem to be around £300 (ie: Humux) and they aren't as good a TiVo in so many ways.