I would like to see a review of all the TV streaming services OTT and their DVR capabilities.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by 19972000muskrat, Dec 9, 2017.

1. 19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Active Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

I would like to see a review of all the TV streaming services "OTT" and their DVR capabilities. Specifically whether you can play them back and skip commercials and also if you can play multiple episodes after starting the 1st one. Seems this info gets left off most reviews I have seen.

2. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    DirecTV Now is currently beta testing their cloud DVR, so nothing certain there yet. It appears that it will allow FF through ads. We'll see. Unknown is how much it will cost, how many hours of storage, etc.

Hulu with Live TV makes you pay an extra $15 to get their premium DVR (with extra storage) if you want the ability to FF through recordings. But it will still (I think) replace a recording with Hulu's own on-demand version, if available. To remove ads from Hulu on-demand shows costs an extra $4. DVR storage is limited by hours, but you can keep recordings indefinitely.

YouTube TV has cloud DVR with unlimited storage space but auto-deletes after 9 months. Recordings will be replaced with the network's on-demand version, if available, often with ads that cannot be skipped. No way around this.

PS Vue has cloud DVR with unlimited storage space but auto-deletes after 4 weeks. At least originally, they did not replace any recordings with on-demand versions and you could always FF through ads in recordings. But awhile back it looked like maybe that policy was changing, at least on some shows for some users. I'm not sure what's up there -- maybe it was just a glitch they were having for awhile? You should just do the 7-day free trial and see for yourself.

3. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    I tried SlingTV, Hulu and DirectTVNow.
    Cloud DVR is not good for FF to skip commercials (and some shows prevent this even with Hulu commercial free service).
    A Cloud DVR can never be as good as a dedicated DVR, especially one with SKIP.

All of these services have a 7 to 14 day trial period. Best to try it yourself to see if it suites your needs.

4. 19972000muskrat

19972000muskrat Active Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Never really thought about the cloud DVR experience being different but now that you bring it up it makes sense. Its not going to be as responsive unless they cache the file ahead which would surely help.