I wish TiVo would give us REAL online scheduling

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cwoody222, Sep 19, 2007.

1. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY

Advertisements

A bit of a rant today... I use TiVo Central Online all the time and I love it. But it has some serious limitations. Today I came up against some of them.

- I read that "Kid Nation" aired tonight. I remember setting it to record awhile ago but also do NOT remember seeing it in my To Do List this morning. Hmmm, I thought. What happened? I wish TiVo would just let me view my To Do List and Now Playing online!

- Oh well, I'll just set it to record again online, worse that could happen is that I get it on each tuner. (I set it to record on the HD channel today knowing that I would have picked the SD channel previously in case TiVo would flip out to have 2 shows from the same channel recording simultaneously)

- But it conflicted with Gossip Girl. Huh? Gossip Girl is on at 9 and Kid Nation is on at 8. Oh, now I see, stupid CBS is airing KD until 9:07, hence the conflict. That's also probably what happened to my original recording - it probably sits in my Recording History as "this program no longer exists in the guide". I wish Recording History would let me purge all "28 days ago" listings so it's more manageable.

- But I didn't recall anything else that I would be recording at 9pm... bringing me back to my original dilemma... maybe I had set it to record afterall. Maybe that was the other conflict on the other tuner. I wish TiVo would show me ALL conflicts and let me pick from them (this is a limitation on the box too).

- So I ended up stopping home at lunch (near an errand anyway) to find out what was going on. I was recording both Gossip Girl and Last Comic Standing at 9pm. I forgot about LCS. So I had to move LCS to a repeat on Bravo and set Kid Nation.

Although I still don't know what happened to my original KN recording. (I forgot to look during lunch)

All of this would have been much easier if I could have done the following online:

- viewed my To Do List online
    - seen ALL conflicts, and be able to pick from them (alternatively, be able to remove shows from my To Do List)

2. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    I agree, it would be much appreciated with direct interaction on the web, in the same manner it's done on TiVo. At a minimum, at least let us see the ToDo list.

3. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    The big problem I can see with being able to access the Now Playing List remotely is that most networked TiVos are sitting behind a home router, which denies incoming connections unless explicitly configured otherwise. For example, I believe that when you set up a Slingbox, they tell you to go to your router and configure it to direct certain TCP port numbers to your Slingbox, so it can be accessed from the Internet. Normally, your TiVo box polls a server every 15 minutes or so, to check for remote scheduling requests, but there is no way for the server to connect inbound to your TiVo to fetch your NPL, without changes to your router configuration. Different routers do this differently, so it would be a real support issue for TiVo.

4. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    My ReplayTV can do it.

5. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME

Advertisements

Or the SP data can be uploaded to a Tivo server, where it can be manipulated online, by a desktop app, or restored to another Tivo.

I've suggested that via the link in my .sig. Maybe if the rest of you all do it, we'll get one (right after we get a FSI). :D

6. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    Oh how I would love to have this data available with a nice API. It would save me so much time every fall season updating my spreadsheets.

7. CharlesH

CharlesH Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Sacramento...
    From outside your home network, MyReplayTV connects to your home ReplayTV device in real time? I'd sure like to know how they do that without requiring you to set up port-forwarding on your home router.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    A Slingbox solves all these problems.

9. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Agreed.

Full Access to the TiVo over the internet would be great, without a Slingbox.

Word has it that the hardware in the TiVoHD (don't know about S3) has the fundemental capability of being "slung".

Either a merger or probably some type of licensing agreement would be needed to make this work...due to the patent issues, etc.

That all said, access to the full administration of the box (without technically streaming the video) is very possible without going into to "streaming" licensing and patents. I understand the unsupported (by TiVo) open source TiVoWebPlus application has been able to do this for some time on Series 1 and 2s.

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I agree that a built-in solution would be best. But the slingbox gets the job done for me today.

11. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
  12. CheezWiz

CheezWiz ReplayTV->S3 Tivo

Dec 29, 2006
    Middle...
    Another cool ReplayTV trick is the automatic scheduling on another box in case of a conflict. I really miss that... And the free Java program for scheduling and transferring shows...

Tivo still has a lot of room to add great features, that is for sure.. But I definately am glad I went from Replay to Tivo..