I will get an elite if...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomm1079, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1 of 37
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    I am wondering after all the issues with the Premiere if they will get an Elite right away or will wait.

Me personally i have had 0 issues with Premiere but i still want 2 things before i will get an Elite.

1) Full HD menus not the half SD/Half HD we have now
    2) Streaming (which was working in the earlier version of software).

Once those 2 are done ill get an Elite.

Would love to have
    1) Scheduling on one box and the tivo goes and finds an open tuner on the network. You can say which one you prefer but overall it goes to a free tuner

2. Oct 6, 2011 #2 of 37
    djwilso

djwilso Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I really don't care much about the menus being SD or HD.

I just want the 4 tuners to never have to worry about clipping or conflicts again.

As long as it can actually record 4 HD programs at the same time and be reliable enough where it consistently records what I have told it to, then I'm getting one.

Streaming? That would be nice to have.
    Scheduling on one box? Also a nice to have, but much less needed with the 4 tuners.

3. Oct 6, 2011 #3 of 37
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    We know that streaming is coming soon. The completion of the HDUI is another matter. I plan on getting the Elite right away. As long as I can sell the two Lifetime Premieres that it will be replacing, it is worth the upgrade. Then I won't have to constantly switch back and forth between the two Premieres in my main viewing area. My only complaint is that my storage will go down to 2TB instead of the 3TB I currently have between both Premieres.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #4 of 37
    Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
    No OTA, no Elite for me.

5. Oct 6, 2011 #5 of 37
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, based upon reports here, it WASN'T working, which is presumably why they turned it off.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #6 of 37
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    My conditions:

1) HD menus working and complete

2) Second core working

3) Streaming working

4) Amazon Prime working

5) Free lifetime transfer from my Premiere to the Elite.

Then I'd consider buying it.

I think at one point the second core was also 'coming soon'... We know nothing until it's enabled, tested, and working. Anything less is an assumption.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #7 of 37
    tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    amazon prime would be nice....i did just buy an LG st600 which is wonderful.

as for the 2nd core i assume it still will not be much better cause of flash....

8. Oct 7, 2011 #8 of 37
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Same here it would have been nice having 4 tuners in one box, but 2TB storage would not be enough for me. I have 5.25TB and 6 tuners for OTA now but never use more than 4 tuners, but do use the storage by the end of the season (save up stuff for summer).

Thanks,

9. Oct 7, 2011 #9 of 37
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    [​IMG]

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I agree! I love the idea of having four tuners, but without OTA I'm not really interested in the Elite. It's always nice to have the option to ditch Cable TV down the road and save some money. When Tivo took away that option, they took away my interest.

I asked Tivo customer support why they did away with OTA in the Elite and I was told that most people don't get a lot of channels OTA. So the added expense to the box wouldn't be worth it. But, even if I get as little as four channels OTA then maybe there might be programming on all four of those channels at the same time slot I might want to record.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though to be honest, if you're saving stuff up for SUMMER, you could easily download it to a cheap computer drive.. Plus then you also don't lose the recordings if the Tivo dies.

Plus, the premieres are already way faster than the (slow) TivoHD & Series 3s for transferring.. the Elite might be even faster??

12. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    seriously? Customer support isn't going to know. With current chips, they could (reasonably) have 4 cable or 4 OTA, not both.

The box is being positioned ad a "high end" custom-install box. Those folks are more likely to have cable, rather than OTA only.

I would love to see a more-than-two tuner box that also supported OTA, but that isn't going to happen with the current hardware series. Perhaps in a "Series 5" box.

13. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Why not both? But I Believe that since Tivo now has a contract with Charter Cable, it's cheaper for them to only make one version of the Elite.

14. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Not sure the hard drive in my computer is any more or less likely to fail than the ones in my TiVos. Of course something else other than the hard drive could go on a TiVo that I couldn't fix. I certainly know the external drive on my Series 3 HD is problematic, I really should do an internal upgrade on that one.

On the plus side of having multiple Tivos (versus one with more tuners) if one does fail I still have lots of recorded stuff and 2 other functioning TiVos.

Thanks,

15. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes, the cable company version of the Elite is called the Q. Same box, different faceplate.

16. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    The Elite was designed with cable companies in mind, to be sold and marketed by the cable companies wasn't it? Seems like they have a vested interest in there being no OTA support, or at the very least, no incentive to add OTA support.

17. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    There's also no such thing as a 4 tuner OTA and cable chip. Having to duplicate those would of added significantly to the cost and the complexity of the software. My guess is it would of added $100 or more to the final cost. Plus, since it is for cable companies, it makes even more sense as most cable users do not use OTA.

18. wtherrell

wtherrell Active Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Huntersville...
    I suppose this will still require a separate TA box? I'm on TWC Charlotte, NC and there's a lot of SDV.

19. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

If you need one now, you will need one with the Elite. You may have to check with the cable company to make sure the TA firmware supports more than two streams.

20. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If they don't then a FCC complaint would be the correct response. The deadline has passed for the firmware to be out to support 4 tuners. If they don't they are violating the FCC mandate.